U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2007, 11:13 AM

3,432 posts, read 2,158,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post
Yep. Didn't they used to tax you on the sale of your primary residence? I made about $75k in profit (my half) from the sale of mine and my ex's house in the UK and the IRS can't touch that either; since I was a resident in the UK and I'm a US citizen they treat it the same way. The UK doesn't tax the sale of your primary residence and I'm not even sure they tax investment properties.
Are you still a citizen of the UK?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2007, 12:58 PM

13,387 posts, read 16,203,701 times
Did you know that you could register your property UCC "Universal Commercial Code" and not pay taxes. Also, if "eminemt domain" ever came along the City, County, or State, who ever was trying to get it for public use, would have to pay you what ever you wanted and not just Market Value.
I have a friend in Ca. where the state need half of his property for the I-210 freeway. He had just had it registered UCC. It was just over a half acre and the market value was $9,000 and that's what the state was going to give him. He said $250.000 and that's what they had to pay him.http://www.ernstpublishing.com/uccvsre.asp

Old 12-15-2007, 02:51 PM

2,884 posts, read 5,039,406 times
It's laughable.

If I snuck across the mexican border in the middle of the night, and then protested and chanted in the streets about my "rights" and everything I'm "owed"...free school, driver license, health care...and then if you dont give it to me, racist!! They're deluded and crazy.

And what I dont get about the illegal conversation in general, is the idea of racism, or nobody wants immigrants or we want to close the doors to foreigners.

In California, we have a govenor you can't even understand! This country is very, verytolerant of immigrants. Or look at Obama, in alot of countries, he never would have been able to run.

If you jump over a fence in the middle of the night and sneak into the country, you deserve to be harassed and deserve anything else that comes to you.

Old 12-15-2007, 05:17 PM

3,589 posts, read 2,974,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post
Are you still a citizen of the UK?
No, I never was...but that doesn't matter. Since I'm a citizen of the US I am subject to IRS jurisdiction no matter where I live. US citizens are required to file yearly income tax returns no matter where they live, and the IRS received 1040s and 2555-EZs from me every year that I was abroad. It's the law.

I am still considered a permanent resident by the UK, but that is because UK permanent resident visas do not expire but can be invalidated by a more recent tourist stamp. If I wanted to enter the UK on my PR visa, I could; however, since my plane ticket would be round-trip originating in the US, they would assume that I no longer lived there and would most likely stamp me in as a tourist, invalidating my PR visa. There are no tax or legal implications in the UK if the PR visa is never invalidated. UK immigration law is rather more lax on this than US immigration law. If you are a PR of the United States you must actually LIVE in the US to keep the visa, and if you move away for an extended period of time (1 year +), you often are required to apply for a re-entry permit...which may be denied. People who were once resident in the UK but who no longer are can sometimes keep the visa valid for many years before an immigration official invalidates it.

On the flip side, immigration officials often inadvertently invalidate UK permanent resident visas, forcing the holder to apply for another one. That never happened to me, but I know some Americans who are now dual US/UK citizens who took citizenship in the UK only to avoid the hassle of explaining their PR status to immigration each and every time they encountered passport control.

Old 12-15-2007, 08:51 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,875,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
Did you know that you could register your property UCC "Universal Commercial Code" and not pay taxes. Also, if "eminemt domain" ever came along the City, County, or State, who ever was trying to get it for public use, would have to pay you what ever you wanted and not just Market Value.
I have a friend in Ca. where the state need half of his property for the I-210 freeway. He had just had it registered UCC. It was just over a half acre and the market value was $9,000 and that's what the state was going to give him. He said $250.000 and that's what they had to pay him.http://www.ernstpublishing.com/uccvsre.asp
Interesting, am by the 210 fwy and these days 1/2 acre with a shack would cost way over 1 million.

Old 12-15-2007, 09:00 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,875,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John23 View Post
It's laughable.

If I snuck across the mexican border in the middle of the night, and then protested and chanted in the streets about my "rights" and everything I'm "owed"...free school, driver license, health care...and then if you dont give it to me, racist!! They're deluded and crazy.

And what I dont get about the illegal conversation in general, is the idea of racism, or nobody wants immigrants or we want to close the doors to foreigners.

In California, we have a govenor you can't even understand! This country is very, verytolerant of immigrants. Or look at Obama, in alot of countries, he never would have been able to run.

If you jump over a fence in the middle of the night and sneak into the country, you deserve to be harassed and deserve anything else that comes to you.
What's scary is even the former and present Mexican Presidents also yell racism and other insults. Yet many in Mexico, those in the scientific community, do not think this way.

Old 12-15-2007, 09:28 PM

9,308 posts, read 25,663,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John23 View Post
It's laughable.

Thank you, John . . . makes perfect sense to me!

Old 12-15-2007, 09:55 PM

13,387 posts, read 16,203,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faith10 View Post
Interesting, am by the 210 fwy and these days 1/2 acre with a shack would cost way over 1 million.
Have they finish the 210 yet? I know it was open at the I-30, but still closed around Riverside Ave, when I left.

Where abouts,

(eastern direction) Upland, Fontana, Rialto, Muscoy, San Bndo, Redlands.??

I was at one time too. (Muscoy, Macy st)

Your vehicle can be registered UCC also.

Last edited by mkfarnam; 12-15-2007 at 10:07 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or