U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 10:40 AM

635 posts, read 1,561,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crittersitter View Post
If you are here legally you have nothing to fear. If you aren't here legally you should be afraid. You are breaking the law.
Don't you think people would come here legally if you could. I have no problem with poverty stricken people crossing our borders. There's a huge labor shortage in America in blue collar work, the unemployment rate for Americans is extremely low, resulting in a win win situation. Illegal Immigrants have helped the economy tremendously.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2007, 02:40 PM

9,742 posts, read 9,069,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesusisLord View Post
Don't you think people would come here legally if you could.
Don't you think I would drive a Lamborghini if I could?
Quote:
I have no problem with poverty stricken people crossing our borders.
I have a problem with those who are biased, regardless of where that bias stems from. Do you believe "equal protection under the law" applies only to those who enjoy a certain standard of living?
Quote:
There's a huge labor shortage in America in blue collar work, the unemployment rate for Americans is extremely low, resulting in a win win situation. Illegal Immigrants have helped the economy tremendously.
Every study I've seen shows illegal immigration to be a net drain on the economy.

Old 12-16-2007, 03:08 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,783,393 times
Quote:
Don't you think people would come here legally if you could. I have no problem with poverty stricken people crossing our borders. There's a huge labor shortage in America in blue collar work, the unemployment rate for Americans is extremely low, resulting in a win win situation. Illegal Immigrants have helped the economy tremendously.
If illegals can help an economy then Mexico desperately needs the help.

Mexico has a lower unemployment rate than the USA -- check it out. Mexico needs it's people back.

Old 12-16-2007, 03:09 PM

4,800 posts, read 7,695,955 times
Quote:
I have no problem with poverty stricken people crossing our borders.
And so, in the name of "human compassion," you propose leaving our border open to our "povery-stricken" neighbors to the south.

On a list of the fifty most poverty stricken countries in the world, Mexico doesn't even break the top seventy-five.

What about the 2,500 children in Africa who die every single day of every single week of every single year from starvation and disease? Do they not have the moral right to be here? Or does your moral indignation extend only to those folks whose poverty regions are south of the U.S. border?

You profess the moral high ground on this issue, but in reality, your post is typical of apologist hypocrisy.

The United States of America cannot save the world, nor should we be expected to. We have a substantial number of people in our own country who have been marginalized and hung out to dry, whose poverty level matches or exceeds many Latin American countries. Where are their champions? Why must we import impoverished people from south of our border to save when there are several million of our fellow Americans living below the poverty level in our own backyards?

If your desire is to help those in need, then I suggest that you take to heart that old adage, "Charity begins at home." If you feel that you must alleviate poverty in other countries, join the Peace Corp. or send donations to an organization which works to reduce poverty in third world countries.

Personally, I'll stick with organizations such as "Feed the Children" who work to assuage hunger, poverty, and need right here in the United States. There are plenty of Americans who need and deserve our attention and assistance. When hunger and poverty is wiped out in this country, only then will I consider turning my attention elsewhere.

Old 12-16-2007, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
If your desire is to help those in need, then I suggest that you take to heart that old adage, "Charity begins at home." If you feel that you must alleviate poverty in other countries, join the Peace Corp. or send donations to an organization which works to reduce poverty in third world countries.
Nothing stops the bleeding hearts from sending their own entire paychecks to Mexico. That's not what they mean by "charity" however. Their "charity" means Communism, the confiscation of wages of American workers to redistribute as they please.

Forced charity isn't charity at all. Charity is something freely given -- but these people don't give their own money, they want the government to take the money of others for their "charity".

Old 12-16-2007, 05:26 PM

1,252 posts, read 727,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post
And what if someone wants stainless steel flatware? There are no companies that manufacture it in the USA that I'm aware of.
Cutco in New York still makes stainless flatware.

A good source for made in the USA products can be the Department of Defense, they are required to buy as much as they can through US manufacturers.

The fact that flatware is primarily produced outside the US provides a good lesson, we used to dominate the industry, ....today because of the demand for 'cheaper' goods, those US companies have been forced out of business.

What seemed at first to be 'cheaper', .....sure has cost an awful lot.

The lesson to be learned is to look beyond the perception of short term gain, and look to what the consequences are in the long term.

Yep, some folks saved a couple of bucks on some forks and spoons, ...but now almost all of that once thriving industry in the US is gone, and that industry segment is now benefitting some other country's economy, and not the US.

What a bargain......

Last edited by User 2; 12-16-2007 at 05:38 PM..

Old 12-16-2007, 05:32 PM

3,589 posts, read 2,982,866 times
Quote:
Well gee whiz, I'd like to have a mansion with a pool. Does that mean I get to break into someone's house and squat there? By your logic, I can. When I'm being hauled off in handcuffs, I'll just show them a copy of your post and everything will be cool.

Old 12-16-2007, 05:33 PM

635 posts, read 1,561,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post

Mexico has a lower unemployment rate than the USA -- check it out. Mexico needs it's people back.
Huh? If Mexico has a lower unemployment rate, it would not want its people back.

Old 12-16-2007, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Huh? If Mexico has a lower unemployment rate, it would not want its people back.
Mexico's unemployment rate is consistently below ours and below 4 percent:

Due in large part to its statistical methodology and massive informal economy, Mexico consistently registers low unemployment figures. For example, its reported rate of unemployment for 2004 was 3.8 percent. Of the 27 developed nations listed in the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development’s 2004 standardized employment rates, only South Korea, at 3.7 percent, showed a rate lower than Mexico’s. Two other OECD members, the United States and Canada, counted 5.5 and 7.2 percent unemployment in 2004, respectively.

http://www.geocities.com/jonclark500/stories/jobs.html (broken link)

Old 12-16-2007, 05:59 PM

20,310 posts, read 18,902,906 times
The illegals worry about deportation? Oh well I am glad they have something to worry about. I worry about loosing more trades to illegals. I worry about our country becoming overly dependent upon illegal labor. I worry about what the left will give away. I worry about the right and their nation building programs.
News flash the illegals are not welcome, were not invited, and they can cross back over into mexico anytime they see fit.
Make room for legal immigrants who respect our laws enough to enter legally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or