Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 06:56 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,213,219 times

Advertisements

By the numbers: How America tallies its 11.1 million undocumented immigrants - NBC Politics
Mexico accounts for 58% of all illegals. Assuming that there are 11 million illegals that comes to 6,380,000 give or take illegals from Our Southern neighbor. Now we hear how our immigration laws are why they are forced to enter illegally. Some may be shocked or even surprised to learn that the majority of legal immigrants also come from Mexico.
Individuals from all other Latin American countries account for an additional 23%. 81% of illegals are hispanic, but we are told that it's racist to mention this fact or to focus on hispanics. No we should focus on illegals from Iceland right?
Now to set the record straight I have an issue with Russian illegals more than any other. Call it a cold war hold over, but I am biased.
Asians account for a hefty 11%. Or 1.2 million.
Some would say that it is unfair or unreasonable to focus on our southern border. Well those illegals from down south aren't flying in through Canada.
Really to solve this problem we need to go after the bait, the employers. Mandatory E-Verify of all working people in the USA today. My company has already done it, and is mandatory in order to be hired. No one was fired. They now require The temp services they use to do the same.
Put some teeth in those fines and employers won't risk it. Take away the bait and illegals will return to their own countries.
Now I mentioned that Mexico accounts for the most legal immigrants. Why is that important? It demonstrates that it is not only possible for a citizen of Mexico to come here legally, but that more Citizens of Mexico take advantage of this than any one else. It also means that the excuse that it can't be done legally is a lie.
What is the impact?
Immigrants in the United States, 2010: A Profile of America's Foreign-Born Population | Center for Immigration Studies
Read the link carefully.
Welfare Use

In 2010, 36 percent of immigrant-headed households used at least one major welfare program (primarily food assistance and Medicaid) compared to 23 percent of native households.

Among the top sending countries, welfare use is highest for households headed by immigrants from Mexico (57 percent), Guatemala (55 percent), and the Dominican Republic (54 percent); and lowest for those from Canada (13 percent), Germany (10 percent), and the United Kingdom (6 percent).
This is why we need to be very selective about who we grant a VISA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2014, 07:12 PM

Now to be clear for the challenged. I normally don't like long winded posts, such as the one I laid out in the OP. But there have been allegations of unfair fixation on Mexico. It would be unfair if it were not true that Mexico accounts for the vast majority of illegals. Mexico is also the path used by illegals who come from South of Mexico.
If your house has a leaky roof, a cracked window and a kitchen on fire, you don't focus on the cracked window or the roof. Mexico is our Kitchen fire at the moment.
I welcome all legal immigrants from Mexico. Yes that includes IBM's family. They did it the right way and belong here. Illegals regardless of nation of origin are unwanted criminals.

Old 06-05-2014, 08:32 AM

741 posts, read 763,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Some would say that it is unfair or unreasonable to focus on our southern border.
I must have overlooked such comments, because I've never read/heard the "unreasonable to focus" thought before. It's been an unchallenged assumption/fact that the path most illegal immigrants in the USA have been following - from a wide variety of countries - is across the USA/Mexico border.

One statement in the NBC article you linked caught my eye:

Quote:
And, while about 1.6 million undocumented immigrants have arrived in the United
States since 2005, a majority of them -- 56 percent -- first came to the country
before 2000.
1) The number of undocumented immigrants is far lower than we've seen referred to in previous discussions on this forum, I'm recalling; and

2) 56% of that 1.6 million number have been in the USA for 14 years or longer.

Old 06-05-2014, 10:56 AM

3,875 posts, read 3,869,481 times
Those claiming an unreasonable focus are just trying to divert attention away from themselves and the biggest source of Illegals has been Mexico for a long time.

I'm sure most of the Illegals in Spain and Italy come from North Africa. Regardless of how long they lived here illegally, SO WHAT !!!

If you commit a crime or break the law just because you avoided the penalties for years by breaking even more laws does not give you a pass.

Old 06-05-2014, 12:42 PM

8,061 posts, read 4,882,876 times
[quote=tinman01;35097854]By the numbers: How America tallies its 11.1 million undocumented immigrants - NBC Politics
Mexico accounts for 58% of all illegals. Assuming that there are 11 million illegals that comes to 6,380,000 give or take illegals from Our Southern neighbor. Now we hear how our immigration laws are why they are forced to enter illegally. Some may be shocked or even surprised to learn that the majority of legal immigrants also come from Mexico.
Individuals from all other Latin American countries account for an additional 23%. 81% of illegals are hispanic, but we are told that it's racist to mention this fact or to focus on hispanics. No we should focus on illegals from Iceland right?
Now to set the record straight I have an issue with Russian illegals more than any other. Call it a cold war hold over, but I am biased.

In Arizona it works very well and Arizona has discourage many Illegals to leave on their own accord. Plus their is programs that the Fed offer to help getting home.

The Impact on American Tax Payer is great. Think of the cost savings in less need to expand road ways, build new schools and the negative effect of medical emergency that Medical Providers must provide.

The Russians have truly invaded South Beach and South Florida.

Many of the problems we have with all of above would almost be solved over night.

Old 06-05-2014, 01:47 PM

62,872 posts, read 29,103,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antarez View Post
Those claiming an unreasonable focus are just trying to divert attention away from themselves and the biggest source of Illegals has been Mexico for a long time.

I'm sure most of the Illegals in Spain and Italy come from North Africa. Regardless of how long they lived here illegally, SO WHAT !!!

If you commit a crime or break the law just because you avoided the penalties for years by breaking even more laws does not give you a pass.
Someone is in denial. We are constantly being told by the defenders of illegal aliens that it is wrong to put the focus on Mexicans here illegally. Yet time after time we have explained why there is such a focus because they are overwhelmingly the nationality here in the largest numbers illegally compared to other groups. We have also said that we still want all illegals gone from our country but I guess that just falls on deaf ears.

Old 06-05-2014, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Someone is in denial. We are constantly being told by the defenders of illegal aliens that it is wrong to put the focus on Mexicans here illegally.
Who are these "defenders" and where are you seeing them say it's been wrong "to put the focus on Mexicans here illegally"?

Quote:
We have also said that we still want all illegals gone from our country but I guess that just falls on deaf ears.
Who is the "We"? Fellow travelers? I don't know of anyone who prefefers to "illegals" in the country. I do know there are a few people posting to this sub-forum who propose draconian methods (unsupported by a majority of our citizens, IMO) which would likely lead to wholesale abuse of people legally in the country (i.e., citizens), and the death of untold thousands if implemented.

Old 06-05-2014, 02:02 PM

62,872 posts, read 29,103,656 times
One only needs to read the numerous topics in this forum to find posts where we anti-illegal immigrationists are accused of being anti-Mexican and/or anti-Hispanic just because we dare to mention that they are here in the largest numbers illegally.

Those of us who want our immigration laws enforced and are anti-amnesty want all illegals gone out of this country regardless of race/ethnicity or nationality. We have repeated that many times.

I don't know of any plan that would abuse those here legally or even far more fetched causing the death of thousands. Only those who are extreme would propose such a thing. Most of us have laid out our plan to rid ourselves of illegal aliens and that is to remove the incentives for them to remain here. Sounds like someone has selective reading or is holding up the extreme to demonize the entire anti-illegal immigration movement. Wouldn't be the first time that tactic was used.

Old 06-05-2014, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
One only needs to read the numerous topics in this forum to find posts where we anti-illegal immigrationists are accused of being anti-Mexican and/or anti-Hispanic just because we dare to mention that they are here in the largest numbers illegally.
I think the suggestions that someone is anti-Mexican is because the tone of many of the remarks make it sound that way, and some people posting only focus on one nationality of illegal aliens. So, readers are left to make assumptions. If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck .... well, you know the rest of that line.

Quote:
I don't know of any plan that would abuse those here legally or even far more fetched causing the death of thousands. Only those who are extreme would propose such a thing.
Well, there certainly have been suggestions that a reasonable person could easily assume are "extreme." Such as the forced deportations and repatriation of upwards of "60 million" illegal aliens (a absurd estimate, IMO). The round-up and transport of that many people would draw comparisons to some of the most horrific crimes against humanity in recorded history. And as the round-up is underway, I've no doubt profiling would be a part of the method and if so many of our citizens of many nationalities would suffer abuse and harm.

Quote:
Most of us have laid out our plan to rid ourselves of illegal aliens and that is to remove the incentives for them to remain here.
Yes. In addition to the forced deportation/repatriation/transportation of illegals, there's e-verify. While I support vigerous application of e-verify ... it, alone, isn't going to make much of a dent. Long-term, however, over the 'long haul', an effective e-verify system which is enforced with meaningful/hurtful penalties for employers who hire illegals - will, I agree, be an important tool to dry-up the supply of jobs for illegals. The nation doesn't want a wholesale deportation compaign, IMO. That's why there's broad-based support for "reform" of the immigration problem we now experience.

Last edited by Longford; 06-05-2014 at 02:23 PM..

Old 06-05-2014, 03:32 PM

I intentionally selected links that are at the very least neutral. In the case of NBC sympathetic towards illegals.
Some would down play or attempt to distract from the issue, but that is their right. Granting a free pass to illegals, when it is shown the percentage of which would make use of our welfare systems, is one of the hidden costs of the immigration reform bill that the fed, and supporters of illegals, would rather the general population not know.

Smaller bills that target the actual problems is key to finding solution. Rewarding illegals with what they want, a green card, is the absolute biggest, worst mistake that can be made.
Some would claim that the alternative to the immigration bill is a mass round up or mass deportation. Very few call for this. Most, myself included believe making E-Verify mandatory on all employees, not just future employees, to be key. Add to this massive fines compounded by the number of illegals hired and no employer will take such a risk. Take away the money and illegals will self deport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration