U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2014, 09:13 AM

10,341 posts, read 9,988,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by toryturner View Post
I think the point the o.p. was trying to make is that no other nation tolerates it to the extent our nation does.
Well, that's the way most of us would read it.

For others, it seems the topic was why overinflated blue beach balls are more dangerous to the arctic fox population than are green string bikinis.

Old 06-11-2014, 09:19 AM

15,390 posts, read 9,351,276 times
Quote:
Tell that to the busloads of unattended minors flooding our borders in just the last few days.
That is because of a 2008 Bush bill. Mexcan kids get sent back immediately but kids from further away - Central America - get put it into the system.

Undocumented immigrants to leave El Paso while cases are pending - El Paso Times

"President George W. Bush signed a law titled the "Trafficking Victims Protection Reauthorization Act of 2008," which went into effect in 2009 and created the different treatment for most unaccompanied children from Mexico or Canada and children from other countries.

Unaccompanied child immigrants from Mexico or Canada are sent back across the border, while children from other countries (i.e., Central America) are placed into a different process.

Old 06-11-2014, 09:23 AM

3,216 posts, read 1,767,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
That is because of a 2008 Bush bill. Mexcan kids get sent back immediately but kids from further away - Central America - get put it into the system.

Undocumented immigrants to leave El Paso while cases are pending - El Paso Times

Quite frankly, I don't care if it was Bush, Obama, or Truman Capote. Someone needs to fix this catastrophe NOW!

Old 06-11-2014, 09:24 AM

20,016 posts, read 20,519,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
Crime rates are cateogorized by Census data, no?
No. Not by illegal status.
As far as arrests, police officers are not allowed to check the legal status of those they arrest. They rely on information given by the inmate. How much you want to bet a person would volunteer that info knowing that could lead to deportation.

BTW, census date is not very reliable.

Old 06-11-2014, 09:28 AM

14,298 posts, read 7,729,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
None I can think of.....
Exactly!

What other nation is going out to publicly declare that it will not deport anyone who violates their immigration laws???

We used to say that we drew the line on illegal immigrants who violated our other laws, but we just released tens of thousands of foreign criminals from our prisons as well.

Old 06-11-2014, 09:31 AM

15,390 posts, read 9,351,276 times
Quote:
Quite frankly, I don't care if it was Bush, Obama, or Truman Capote. Someone needs to fix this catastrophe NOW!
The subject line of this thread is "ignores immigration laws". I'm showing that it follows not ignores immigration laws. I agree that the law should be changed -we shouldn't be letting this flood of kids and mothers into the country - they are being sent not making their own way here.

Old 06-11-2014, 09:31 AM

14,298 posts, read 7,729,681 times
Quote:
As if Bush, Clinton or Bush took a tough stance against illegal immigration.

Old 06-11-2014, 09:33 AM

3,395 posts, read 3,564,807 times
Quote:
I think the point the o.p. was trying to make is that no other nation tolerates it to the extent our nation does.
The whole concept of the "illegal alien" is nothing but a legal construct, and a relatively recent one at that.

Historically, movement across the U.S.-Mexico border, in particular, was usually bi-directional. Mexicans would travel to the U.S. to work for part of the year, then return to work in Mexico for another part of the year, and so on. Relatively few people would cross the border and never go back.

Tough immigration laws changed all that. Now, people can't go back and forth to follow the work anymore. Now, once they make it across, they have to stay permanently, because crossing and recrossing has become far too risky and expensive.

You don't like the large number of illegal aliens permanently living in the U.S.? Blame tough border enforcement...

Old 06-11-2014, 09:34 AM

8,031 posts, read 7,356,087 times
Quote:
At least not other First World nations...

To think to be called hateful or racist for wanting immigration policies more like those of Canada or Australia... the horror!

Old 06-11-2014, 09:35 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,742 posts, read 39,645,962 times
Quote:
Maybe, though the OP said something stronger than that. But anyway, it'd be nice to see some proof of that, it's not obvious that's true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or