U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-12-2014, 09:23 AM
 
20,611 posts, read 12,330,336 times
Reputation: 5895

Advertisements

Washington (AFP) - President Barack Obama rejected Wednesday the notion that the shock election defeat of a top Republican leader had effectively dashed his hopes of passing a new legacy enhancing immigration bill.

Obama hurriedly regrouped following the sudden eclipse of House Majority Leader Eric Cantor in a primary election, in which his neophyte opponent blasted him as a favoring "amnesty" for illegal immigrants.

https://news.yahoo.com/virginia-poli...031948317.html

IMHO the illegal alien amnesty people are now running scared.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-12-2014, 10:17 AM
 
Location: Pa
20,310 posts, read 18,917,032 times
Reputation: 6517
Well the pro amnesty side likes to spout off about polls supporting the immigration reform bill. They never answer how the poll was conducted or how the questions were worded. The defeat of Canter must have rattled at least some of them.
Here in PA pro -illegal Paul Kanjorski was defeated in a very blue state and district by a conservative that strongly opposes illegal immigration. The former mayor of Hazelton.
I think few people other than illegals and their supporters are in favor of rewarding illegals with a path to citizenship.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2014, 10:23 AM
 
6,502 posts, read 4,876,255 times
Reputation: 3584
I dont think it will stop them honestly. The GOP establishment knows that most of us Republicans/Conservatives are against this, but they're pushing for it anyways. And now friggin Rand Paul is getting on board.

I still have yet to hear the answer to why we need reform? Has any of them in DC explained this? How the hell can they push for this when we already have a system in place? And the only thing "broken" from what anyone can tell is the failure...actually, the REFUSAL to enforce our laws and protect our borders. So what the hell is the point of reform besides amnesty with the continuation of not enforcing laws and securing the border?!

Seriously, if there was every anything that just takes common sense, this is it. But they ignore it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2014, 10:33 AM
 
Location: Pa
20,310 posts, read 18,917,032 times
Reputation: 6517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post
I dont think it will stop them honestly. The GOP establishment knows that most of us Republicans/Conservatives are against this, but they're pushing for it anyways. And now friggin Rand Paul is getting on board.

I still have yet to hear the answer to why we need reform? Has any of them in DC explained this? How the hell can they push for this when we already have a system in place? And the only thing "broken" from what anyone can tell is the failure...actually, the REFUSAL to enforce our laws and protect our borders. So what the hell is the point of reform besides amnesty with the continuation of not enforcing laws and securing the border?!

Seriously, if there was every anything that just takes common sense, this is it. But they ignore it.
It all depends upon the definition of reform. The current idea is to waste a ton of money doing things that don't address the actual problems. Rewarding illegals is hardly reform.
The system is deeply flawed. For one our standards are too low. We need to look what other countries are doing and make it comparable. Thailand for example requires a savings acct opened in their country that has a minimum of 40g in it for 3 months. You must also prove an income of at least 2400.00 a month. If you can't do this then you don't get a VISA to live in Thailand.
They also fine you for overstay and it is compounded daily.
A business that hires a foreigner has to prove that Thailand can not fill the need.
Foreigners can never own property in Thailand. You can lease but never own. The exception is if you buy a condo.
Get caught working illegally in Thailand and you face some serious consequences.
Reform should be about streamlining a system heavy on needless redundancy. Raising the minimum required of an immigrant. Heavy penalties for violating or laws. Require all immigrants to be able to speak the common language of the United States and the official language of our government. We should not be hiring translators to facilitate immigrants.
The system needs reformed because it is broken.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2014, 11:08 AM
 
741 posts, read 617,194 times
Reputation: 575
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Well the pro amnesty side likes to spout off about polls supporting the immigration reform bill. They never answer how the poll was conducted or how the questions were worded.
In poll after poll, after poll ... after poll ... there's a clear indication that the majorty of people asked about immigration reform ... support it. Republicans, Democrats and Independents. The longer the delaying tactics continue in the Congress the more serious the problem will get.

Quote:
At present, 62% of Americans favor providing a way for immigrants who are
currently living in the United States illegally to become citizens provided they
meet certain requirements, while 17% support allowing them to become permanent
legal residents but not citizens, and roughly 1-in-5 (19%) favor a policy that
would identify and deport all immigrants living in the United States illegally.
Source: What Americans Want from Immigration Reform in 2014 | Brookings Institution

As for "They never answer how the poll was conducted or how the questions were worded.", most legitimately-taken polls will provide a section which illustrates the wording of the questions and a more detailed breakdown of the responses. I believe the link I provided above will take you to one poll report and in that report there's a link to a .pdf document revealing the details fo the poll.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2014, 12:16 PM
 
47,576 posts, read 58,840,989 times
Reputation: 22174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longford View Post
In poll after poll, after poll ... after poll ... there's a clear indication that the majorty of people asked about immigration reform ... support it. Republicans, Democrats and Independents. The longer the delaying tactics continue in the Congress the more serious the problem will get.



Source: What Americans Want from Immigration Reform in 2014 | Brookings Institution

As for "They never answer how the poll was conducted or how the questions were worded.", most legitimately-taken polls will provide a section which illustrates the wording of the questions and a more detailed breakdown of the responses. I believe the link I provided above will take you to one poll report and in that report there's a link to a .pdf document revealing the details fo the poll.
Only those who want unlimited cheap labor and who don't care about jobs for Americans and skyrocketing welfare rates support open borders and the elimination of all immigration laws. Obviously the minority who pay taxes care about the issue and the fact that we cannot afford the many millions coming in to be given their life of handouts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2014, 12:37 PM
 
16,792 posts, read 8,697,951 times
Reputation: 4731
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longford View Post
In poll after poll, after poll ... after poll ... there's a clear indication that the majorty of people asked about immigration reform ... support it. Republicans, Democrats and Independents. The longer the delaying tactics continue in the Congress the more serious the problem will get.



Source: What Americans Want from Immigration Reform in 2014 | Brookings Institution

As for "They never answer how the poll was conducted or how the questions were worded.", most legitimately-taken polls will provide a section which illustrates the wording of the questions and a more detailed breakdown of the responses. I believe the link I provided above will take you to one poll report and in that report there's a link to a .pdf document revealing the details fo the poll.
The PDF doc does not have any more details. It does not say what questions were asked.

Besides, I bet over 90% of American don't know there has been a path, actually paths, to the citizenship ever since we had immigration law; however, there's no path to amnesty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2014, 12:41 PM
 
16,792 posts, read 8,697,951 times
Reputation: 4731
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Only those who want unlimited cheap labor and who don't care about jobs for Americans and skyrocketing welfare rates support open borders and the elimination of all immigration laws. Obviously the minority who pay taxes care about the issue and the fact that we cannot afford the many millions coming in to be given their life of handouts.
Democrats are the ones pushing for this. They view this as the golden opportunity to expand their voting block, given 75% of Latinos vote for Democrats. Once they give amnesty to all the illegals, Democrats would secure their political position for the years to come.

This has nothing to do with those who want cheap labor. Think about it. How cheap can they get? Not less than the minimum wage. For minimum wage, there are plenty of Americans here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2014, 12:45 PM
 
47,576 posts, read 58,840,989 times
Reputation: 22174
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Democrats are the ones pushing for this. They view this as the golden opportunity to expand their voting block, given 75% of Latinos vote for Democrats. Once they give amnesty to all the illegals, Democrats would secure their political position for the years to come.

This has nothing to do with those who want cheap labor. Think about it. How cheap can they get? Not less than the minimum wage. For minimum wage, there are plenty of Americans here.
Illegals do work for less than minimum wage. Many work as "independent contractors" and will work for much less than Americans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2014, 12:46 PM
 
Location: Pa
20,310 posts, read 18,917,032 times
Reputation: 6517
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
The PDF doc does not have any more details. It does not say what questions were asked.

Besides, I bet over 90% of American don't know there has been a path, actually paths, to the citizenship ever since we had immigration law; however, there's no path to amnesty.
Polls are designed to generate specific results. It all depends on what the agenda is. For example.
Illegals pay into social security and very few will ever be able to claim benefits. This results in a net gain because of illegal immigrants.
Do you
strongly agree that illegals help ss
agree that illegals help ss
neither agree or disagree that illegals help ss
strongly disagree that illegals help ss

Illegals tend to do jobs that most americans won't do, like agricultural jobs. It is generally accepted that illegals are hard working dedicated employees. If all Illegals were deported tomorrow the Agricultural industry estimates that 50% of our crops will be lost and the cost of produce would increase by as much as 125%.
Do you
strongly agree that illegals help all americans.
agree that illegals help all americans
neither agree nor disagree that illegals help all americans.
You know the rest.
The way the questions are asked or explained will absolutely slant results.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top