Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support a Border Fence?
Yes 76 79.17%
No 18 18.75%
Other Explain 2 2.08%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2014, 03:27 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
A good wall would help deter illegal immigration a lot and would assist the BP. If they are coming here for a better life as they claim then removing the job and benefit incentives will also deter them from coming.

Legal immigrants may have accents but so what? Why wouldn't they be hired as they would have the proper papers to be here and to work here. I guess the defenders of illegal aliens will say anything these days no matter how silly it sounds.
Defending illegal aliens? if you are referring to my posts i'm just playing devils advocate about the futility of a wall to keep out illegals and the idea that employers can tell whats a fake id and whats not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2014, 01:12 AM

Those that think gangs of illegals are hanging out around their town can start by calling the police or border patrol to advise them of that fact.If it turns out this demographic is in the USA legally it just further points out the futility of a new major wall.
Yes a 50ft double wall with with mines ,razor wire and many gun towers will stop any one from trying to cross the wall they will then just find alternate routes across the wall,as said before car,plane,train,bus,boat.
Maybe some can derive some pleasure reading about those that do get apprehended then deported.
http://www.economist.com/news/briefi...dering-cruelty

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/...c97_story.html

Last edited by jambo101; 06-18-2014 at 01:36 AM..

Old 06-18-2014, 06:22 AM

62,934 posts, read 29,126,415 times
I find it odd that those who criticize every thing suggested to deter illegal immigration as being futile such as e-verify, a very good physical barrier on the border and removing all other incentives for them to come here offer no solution on their own to deter illegal immigration. Could it be that they don't want it deterred?

Old 06-18-2014, 06:42 AM

8,061 posts, read 4,884,494 times
Default Use the tools availible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I guess to be on the safe side just dont hire any one that looks foreign or has some form of accent..
Just use E-verify. Its free. Do good back ground checks. Lets not try to reinvent the wheel here. There are tools like the I9 form as well. Most employers including myself require a SSN, Pass port if the applicant is not from here.

Just enforce current laws.

Old 06-18-2014, 06:46 AM

8,061 posts, read 4,884,494 times
Default It Works and Works Excellent!

Quote:
I find it odd that those who criticize every thing suggested to deter illegal immigration as being futile such as e-verify, a very good physical barrier on the border and removing all other incentives for them to come here offer no solution on their own to deter illegal immigration. Could it be that they don't want it deterred?
In Phx Arizona, the hot bed of Immigration reform. The hotel industry had a labor shortage. E-verify works and the result is positive.

You are correct. Most people who oppose enforcement of any laws have a open Boarder / pro Illegal point of view.

Wages went up and they hire qualified Citizens to work! Plus legal employes got Health care and retirement.

Its all to enforce our laws!

Old 06-18-2014, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOSTRIDER AZ View Post
In Phx Arizona, the hot bed of Immigration reform. The hotel industry had a labor shortage. E-verify works and the result is positive.

You are correct. Most people who oppose enforcement of any laws have a open Boarder / pro Illegal point of view.

Wages went up and they hire qualified Citizens to work! Plus legal employes got Health care and retirement.

Its all to enforce our laws!
They make ludicrous statements like no one with an accent would/should be hired when millions of Americans and legal immigrants have accents. They are just grasping at straws to convince you that profiling would occur. All one needs are the proper ID/authorization to work here to be hired. E-verify doesn't detect accents.

Old 06-18-2014, 08:39 AM

Quote:

I dont consider it criticizing i call it having a discussion on the pros and cons of spending billions of tax payers money on a fence that will have little impact on the American illegal immigration problem.
I cant believe all illegals scale some fence in a remote location in the desert to enter the US, i'd suspect the vast majority come by normal means legally through a border crossing and end up staying in the USA thereby making them illegals.
As for e Verify it would be almost impossible for an ordinary employer to spot a fake piece of id from an original.
I'm also not in favor of illegal immigration but am just pointing out the futility of building an expensive wall to keep illegals from entering the country.the only solution i see if its that much of a problem is assume everyone who looks Mexican and speaks with an accent is an illegal and dont give them employment or any government subsidies.

Old 06-18-2014, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I dont consider it criticizing i call it having a discussion on the pros and cons of spending billions of tax payers money on a fence that will have little impact on the American illegal immigration problem.
I cant believe all illegals scale some fence in a remote location in the desert to enter the US, i'd suspect the vast majority come by normal means legally through a border crossing and end up staying in the USA thereby making them illegals.
As for e Verify it would be almost impossible for an ordinary employer to spot a fake piece of id from an original.
I'm also not in favor of illegal immigration but am just pointing out the futility of building an expensive wall to keep illegals from entering the country.the only solution i see if its that much of a problem is assume everyone who looks Mexican and speaks with an accent is an illegal and dont give them employment or any government subsidies.
A good physical barrier would indeed deter/slow down illegal entry and assist the BP. What about the billions of dollars we are spending on the costs of illegal immigration once they make it over here?

This latest influx of illegal alien kids, etc. didn't come through legal channels and there is no reason to believe that most do. Visa over stayers make up 40% of illegal aliens and the other 60% never came here through legal channels so you were sayin?

Sources state that e-verify is around 98% effective. It would be discrimination to not hire someone based on their accent or who looks Mexican. There are millions of legal immigrants and Americans here or whose ancestors were from Mexico. What you are advocating for is racial profiling. Employers are obligated to ask for a viable ID which entitles them to work in this country why would you want to change that? As long as an employer follows the rules of e-verify they would have nothing to fear or hide. Seems you have no viable solutions of your own to enforcing our immigration laws and I think I may know why.

Last edited by Oldglory; 06-18-2014 at 02:35 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 06-18-2014, 02:25 PM

302 posts, read 368,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlover View Post
The people on this list would still be alive if the government has done its job.
Victims of Illegal Aliens Memorial

L

OJJPAC note: Due to the Obama administration's failure to deport criminal illegal aliens, another American has been murdered. The Obama administration's outrageous response is to expend scarce federal resources to sue Arizona and other states attempting to protect their citizens like Lauren Bump. Our sympathies to the Bump family.

You and people like you have their blood on your hands...

The Obama admin has deported MORE illegal immigrants than any other admin FYI

Old 06-18-2014, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintmj nyc View Post
The Obama admin has deported MORE illegal immigrants than any other admin FYI
Been debunked in here numerous times with links proving it by Obama's own admitted words.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration