U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support a Border Fence?
Yes 68 80.95%
No 15 17.86%
Other Explain 1 1.19%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2014, 09:14 PM

553 posts, read 453,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Coast Republican View Post
Yes but not necessarily a physical fence per se, rather an electronic motion sensory one with Border Patrol bases nearby and ready to catch anyone coming across. There would be a set of towers equipped with Grade-A, State of the Art Military Security Technology. High quality cameras that capture the image of anyone coming across the border and saves it in a database, so Border Patrol will always have their image on file.
They started that several years ago. Dust--very abundant on the Border--got in and fowled up all that electronic equipment. Great idea on paper; don't work in the Real World.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2014, 09:16 PM

8,990 posts, read 7,083,311 times
Yes, I support a border (not "boarder") fence!
It should be 50 feet below ground level, and 20 feet high, slanted 15 to 30 degrees towards the south, VERY slick on the south side, and VERY sharp on top!

I also support a 20 foot storm-proof levee on all the coasts of the United States, to prevent any problems from the seal level rise that the doom sayers preach about due to climate change.

I don't care about the cost, our great-great-great grandchildren can pay it just like they will everything else the government spends that they don't have the cash in hand for!

Old 06-14-2014, 10:58 PM

9,427 posts, read 5,523,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAllenDoudna View Post
There is no border between Spain and Morocco. You might want to check a map sometime. As for the rest of these, they're backed by armed patrols similar to my proposal on another thread of putting 250,000 soldiers on the Border. Without boots on the ground a fence is worthless.
Melilla border fence - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Yeah there is, and you are right, It does not work with out boots, but we have lots of veterans that would love the job.

Old 06-15-2014, 01:21 AM

8,856 posts, read 10,315,940 times
Default One reason they don't make sense.

Living With the Border Fence | Texas Monthly

Old 06-15-2014, 05:33 AM

31,488 posts, read 14,573,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
A few inconviences to some to protect millions of Americans? Hmm, which should we choose?

Old 06-15-2014, 06:47 AM

405 posts, read 358,321 times
I voted no. Don't need it. Require e-verify and destroy employers who don't use it. Problem will be solved much more cheaply.

Old 06-15-2014, 07:17 AM

31,488 posts, read 14,573,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicket View Post
I voted no. Don't need it. Require e-verify and destroy employers who don't use it. Problem will be solved much more cheaply.
I disagree. What about criminals and terrorists trying to enter our country? They aren't looking for jobs. E-verify of course should be a part of the solution to deter those who are.

Old 06-15-2014, 08:04 AM

405 posts, read 358,321 times
Fair enough. But I submit that most people who want to and can do us harm are going to be sophisticated enough to use an airplane. Your fence won't stop this. The drug trade can be dealt with through legalization, increased enforcement, and heavy sanctions against Mexico.

Old 06-15-2014, 08:09 AM

20,611 posts, read 12,286,582 times
Quote:
Fair enough. But I submit that most people who want to and can do us harm are going to be sophisticated enough to use an airplane. Your fence won't stop this. The drug trade can be dealt with through legalization, increased enforcement, and heavy sanctions against Mexico.
Fence WILL stop MOST illegal aliens from trying to cross plus it'll make life real hard on the drug gangs. But, it'll only work IF the US has the guts to use full military force to back it up.

Old 06-15-2014, 08:09 AM

24,843 posts, read 31,253,072 times
Quote:
This is the next best way.

Get a job on a cruse ship.....

You will have to pay......about $1,500 in US money.....this is to "insure" to do not jump ship in Miami.

Welcome to the USA!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or