U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-14-2014, 06:04 PM
 
20,611 posts, read 12,282,218 times
Reputation: 5895

Advertisements

Madrid (AFP) - Security forces drove back 1,000 African migrants who tried to scramble over a border fence from Morocco into the Spanish territory of Melilla on Saturday, officials said.

http://news.yahoo.com/over-1-000-mig...140644904.html

I'm with Spain on this mess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-14-2014, 07:29 PM
 
Location: Jewel Lake (Sagle) Idaho
25,333 posts, read 16,284,785 times
Reputation: 14064
Funny that a near third world country like Spain can do more to secure their borders than we can. Come on, why didn't they welcome the criminals with free food, shelter, education, medical care, transportation, and ensure that they have every opportunity to vote? Not to mention allow them to commit crimes that would land their own citizens in prison.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2014, 09:49 PM
 
Location: Central Nebraska
553 posts, read 453,439 times
Reputation: 554
There is no border between Spain and Morocco. Go look at a map sometime. They are separated by the Mediterranean Sea and the closest they come to one another is 9 miles at the Strait of Gibralter. There is a current that flows through the Strait of Gibralter. In World War II the Germans sent 62 submarines into the Mediterranean--but then couldn't get them back out because the current flowing through the Strait was so strong. This means that anyone attempting to swim those 9 miles would be swept out to sea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2014, 01:32 AM
 
Location: Wisconsin
20,792 posts, read 41,440,451 times
Reputation: 14036
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAllenDoudna View Post
There is no border between Spain and Morocco. Go look at a map sometime.
This has nothing to do with a nonexistent Spain/Morroccan border. It DOES have to do with a Spanish-held city on the northern coast of Africa:
Quote:
Melilla is one of two Spanish-held cities on the northern coast of Africa, along with Ceuta to the east. The number of Africans trying to cross into them has surged over recent months.

On May 28 about 500 African migrants climbed over the seven-metre (23-foot) triple-layer border fence into Melilla -- one of the biggest breaches in nearly a decade.

Spain has asked for more money from the European Union to secure its borders. Officials say the immigrant reception centre in Melilla is highly overcrowded.

It was built to house 480 immigrants but it was holding about 2,000 even before the last wave of entrants, officials said last month.

http://news.yahoo.com/over-1-000-mig...140644904.html
Italy, has its hands full, too - to the tune of 50,000 African refugees this year, so far.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/15/wo...crisis.html?hp

The world is running amok.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2014, 06:53 AM
 
Location: Maryland
18,563 posts, read 15,771,473 times
Reputation: 6259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Madrid (AFP) - Security forces drove back 1,000 African migrants who tried to scramble over a border fence from Morocco into the Spanish territory of Melilla on Saturday, officials said.

http://news.yahoo.com/over-1-000-mig...140644904.html

I'm with Spain on this mess.
The White man is so racist yet the scramble like rats to enter their lands, smh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2014, 08:07 AM
 
20,611 posts, read 12,282,218 times
Reputation: 5895
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
The White man is so racist yet the scramble like rats to enter their lands, smh.
But; ain't white Spanish people part of the "Hispanic" race, according to la raza? LOL!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2014, 08:23 AM
 
25,060 posts, read 22,106,910 times
Reputation: 11576
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
But; ain't white Spanish people part of the "Hispanic" race, according to la raza? LOL!
Lol, no. I've been discriminated against in the past by latinos for being white Spanish. Like, how dare you call yourself Puerto Rican/Hispanic/Latino, you're still a cracker even if your last name is Spanish (I just chalked it up to jealousy that Spanish is my native language and theirs wasn't).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Funny that a near third world country like Spain can do more to secure their borders than we can. Come on, why didn't they welcome the criminals with free food, shelter, education, medical care, transportation, and ensure that they have every opportunity to vote? Not to mention allow them to commit crimes that would land their own citizens in prison.
Huh? Spain is nowhere near third world, that would be Moldova or Bulgaria which are borderline. Maybe you shouldn't confuse Spain with Mexico, just a thought

Last edited by theunbrainwashed; 06-15-2014 at 08:35 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2014, 08:36 AM
 
20,611 posts, read 12,282,218 times
Reputation: 5895
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Lol, no. I've been discriminated against in the past by latinos for being white Spanish. Like, how dare you call yourself Puerto Rican/Hispanic/Latino, you're still a cracker even if your last name is Spanish (I just chalked it up to jealousy that Spanish is my native language and theirs wasn't).



Are you ignorant (that was a rhetorical question, btw)? Spain is nowhere near third world, that would be Moldova or Bulgaria which are borderline.
Being hassled by what kind of Latino? Word is Puerto Ricans and Chicanos don't always like each other. Tho if your fellow PR's are on your case, then they need to be set straight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2014, 08:51 AM
 
25,060 posts, read 22,106,910 times
Reputation: 11576
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Being hassled by what kind of Latino? Word is Puerto Ricans and Chicanos don't always like each other. Tho if your fellow PR's are on your case, then they need to be set straight.
Puerto Ricans, Dominicans, and Cubans; but they were born and raised in NY, NJ, and PA. They are Caribbean in looks, ghetto African-American in mindset. I pay them no mind.

It is true about that. I have no idea why, but seems like as soon as we step into the States, we start hating each other. Well, it's not unlike Italians, Irish, Anglos, etc. hating on each other pre-WWI right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2014, 08:54 AM
 
24,843 posts, read 31,246,775 times
Reputation: 11427
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Puerto Ricans, Dominicans, and Cubans; but they were born and raised in NY, NJ, and PA. They are Caribbean in looks, ghetto African-American in mindset. I pay them no mind.

It is true about that. I have no idea why, but seems like as soon as we step into the States, we start hating each other. Well, it's not unlike Italians, Irish, Anglos, etc. hating on each other pre-WWI right?
What to be near our own kind is normal.

And the need to be better than "others" is also normal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top