Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What should we do in the short term about the illegal immigrant children sitting in detention?
If they have American Families, let them stay 11 6.40%
Deport them immediately to Mexico (Where they crossed) 49 28.49%
Deport them immediately to their home country 103 59.88%
If they don't have American family put them in foster care in the USA 9 5.23%
Voters: 172. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2014, 11:28 AM

12,973 posts, read 15,802,978 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryj View Post
I'm not a bleeding heart liberal, however, I am a human being. Most of these children have come from Central American countries where their chance of reaching adulthood are very poor. Countries like Guatemala, Honduras and Nicaragua are the worst of the bunch. I would separate these children by what countries they come from and age, if they come from a country such as Mexico, send them home, if they are over the age of 15, and come from Guatemala, Honduras and Nicaragua send them home, if they are 14 and younger and come from Guatemala, Honduras and Nicaragua then we should work on finding homes for them in this country, through the foster parent program.
Mexican children are sent home. As are Canadians.

Now you want a new arbitrary age standard. We use 18 but you want 15...why for goodness sake

But your random request has the same problem as everyone else's. There is no ability to change the existing laws on the subject. Any modification runs into the brick wall.

Old 06-27-2014, 11:28 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,402,468 times
What should be done?

Make sure they're fed, put them on a plane and tell their countries of origin that we're sending them back home, and that they should pick them up at the airport.

Old 06-27-2014, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
What should be done?

Make sure they're fed, put them on a plane and tell their countries of origin that we're sending them back home, and that they should pick them up at the airport.
Against the law. There are specific requirements for minors. So you would have to get legislation through. That is likely impossible.

Old 06-27-2014, 01:58 PM

62,949 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryj View Post
I'm not a bleeding heart liberal, however, I am a human being. Most of these children have come from Central American countries where their chance of reaching adulthood are very poor. Countries like Guatemala, Honduras and Nicaragua are the worst of the bunch. I would separate these children by what countries they come from and age, if they come from a country such as Mexico, send them home, if they are over the age of 15, and come from Guatemala, Honduras and Nicaragua send them home, if they are 14 and younger and come from Guatemala, Honduras and Nicaragua then we should work on finding homes for them in this country, through the foster parent program.
You of course can share a link proving that most Central American kids have little chance of surviving there, right? It makes no sense to send those over 15 back there but to allow those 14 and under to remain here. Is a 15 year old's life less important than a 14 year old's? They all need to go back home. This claim of their lives being in danger is bogus. They've been versed in what to say to gain refugee status.

Old 06-27-2014, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
You of course can share a link proving that most Central American kids have little chance of surviving there, right? It makes no sense to send those over 15 back there but to allow those 14 and under to remain here. Is a 15 year old's life less important than a 14 year old's? They all need to go back home. This claim of their lives being in danger is bogus. They've been versed in what to say to gain refugee status.
The law does not allow their return except under specific conditions. If you want to do otherwise you have to change the law.

In all liklihood you cannot. So we remain stuck on our inability to create rational immigration policy.

Old 06-27-2014, 03:33 PM

1,131 posts, read 2,025,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
Why can't we deploy the military on the border?
Boehner is now asking for the National Guard at the border, but they can't actually do anything.
Let's put the military down there - all the troops we brought back from Iraq.
Unless we're going to create kill-zone where we shoot trespassers, the military is ill-trained, ill-equipped, and ill-suited to deal with the immigration problem. If we don't have enough border patrol agents, let's hire and train more of them. It's 19 weeks of training that, for the most part, is different than the training most of our military people have.

Old 06-27-2014, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
The law does not allow their return except under specific conditions. If you want to do otherwise you have to change the law.

In all liklihood you cannot. So we remain stuck on our inability to create rational immigration policy.
Ok, so where is the link proving that these kids have a poor survival rate in their home countries aka their lives were/are in eminent danger?

Old 06-27-2014, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Ok, so where is the link proving that these kids have a poor survival rate in their home countries aka their lives were/are in eminent danger?
A large part of them will not succeed in their claim. A part will. But the killer is that they have to be taken to the court and the issue heard before they can be deported. That says they are here for months at least.

I expect the lawyers for the children will provide copious statistics on the dangers in various areas of central America. And it will likely turn out that some areas are actually very dangerous.

Old 06-27-2014, 04:19 PM

Quote:
A large part of them will not succeed in their claim. A part will. But the killer is that they have to be taken to the court and the issue heard before they can be deported. That says they are here for months at least.

I expect the lawyers for the children will provide copious statistics on the dangers in various areas of central America. And it will likely turn out that some areas are actually very dangerous.
First off I apologize because it wasn't you who made the initial claim that these kids were not likely to reach adulthood in their homelands. I got my posters mixed up. I am sure you're right though the lawyers will try to make it so. Just because some areas are dangerous though that doesn't mean that these so-called kids lives were in eminent danger.

Old 06-27-2014, 08:43 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,903,758 times
Quote:
YOu would have to take them to court to get a decision that they are breaking the law. Mostly the decision will be that they are seeking asylum not breaking the law.

There is no room in juvie at that. So you either let these kids go or the local law breakers.

It really is a clever ploy in a very unpleasant way.
Still lock em up. Tho they should be locked up with other illegal aliens but "segregated" from the adult ones. Tent cities would work Ok.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration