Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What should we do in the short term about the illegal immigrant children sitting in detention?
If they have American Families, let them stay 11 6.40%
Deport them immediately to Mexico (Where they crossed) 49 28.49%
Deport them immediately to their home country 103 59.88%
If they don't have American family put them in foster care in the USA 9 5.23%
Voters: 172. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2014, 09:25 AM

1,317 posts, read 1,526,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
What SHOULD be done is not what IS being done.

They are being merged into US society by the very government who is saying they can't stay.
And by the very government that encouraged them to come.

Old 07-05-2014, 09:32 AM

3,090 posts, read 3,953,557 times
You need to read the law. From your response, I see you haven't. You mean you are learning for the first time today that border patrol are having to stand aside to let criminals pass? Of course they have methods to deal with gang bangers. You are learning for the first time today that the laws and methods to deal with these people are not being followed? You really need to get out and see what is happening to the border towns, or maybe at least even read what is happening to the border towns, ranchers.

Do you know how many facilities are being set up in Texas for illegals? I bet you don't. Do you know the cost to the residents? I bet you don't. Do you know what is happening to the ranchers whose lands are being crossed, etc? I bet you don't. I think if people really opened their eyes instead of being blinded by their politics, they would see the truth of what is happening. If everything is just going swimmingly, why are photos being denied. Why are gag orders being placed with threats of arrest and imprisonment if anyone speaks about the conditions. I really wish everyone, Democrat, Republican, whatever, would see what is happening because in the end, it's not going to matter whether you lean right or left.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
The system was never designed to deport the children after 72 hours. It was designed to transfer them to some form of long term custody prior to a hearing to determine if they would be deported. there is no route to quick deportation except Mexican and Canadian children.

The border patrol has lots of methods to deal with gang bangers, particularly if they smart off. The only ones who are free to come and go are US citizens. Even permanent residents can be hassled if the BP chooses.

The back log on children is I believe about 45,000 cases which means a new arrest is not going to get a hearing for a couple of years. I expect we could cut it down by say doubling the size of the immigration courts...but that costs large sums and would probably take a couple of years.

Border towns actually tend to be pretty safe. Often well better than the US average.

You folk got a secret pit where you go to unearth these myths?

Old 07-05-2014, 09:34 AM

877 posts, read 1,311,385 times
I'm also a tad bit confused as to why liberals assume that Americans should have to pay more taxes in order to support the citizens of other nations.

When did it become the responsibility of Americans to support people from other countries? I take it the few saying we should provide amnesty for these illegal citizens have little understanding of the economy or finances?

It's one thing to help out the people from your own country, but it's another to reward criminals and reinforce that breaking our laws is ok

Old 07-05-2014, 10:01 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,474,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
Try reading my postg to again.it won't work because bribing will encourage more to come. You won't save anything.

I've never heard a more absurd idea. Why don't you try bribing felons when they're released to make sure they won't commit another crime?

True -- all of Mexico and Central America would come immediately to claim their bribe --- of course it wouldn't work.

It's far better to cut them off all welfare handouts, and go after the greedy employers of illegals with fines --- $10,000 per year per illegal for individuals -- those using them as cheap maids and gardeners, $100,000 per year per illegal for businesses.

End DACA because that's what got all this smuggling of small children going. No one should be rewarded just for smuggling in children.

Old 07-05-2014, 01:58 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,732,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolac View Post
You need to read the law. From your response, I see you haven't. You mean you are learning for the first time today that border patrol are having to stand aside to let criminals pass? Of course they have methods to deal with gang bangers. You are learning for the first time today that the laws and methods to deal with these people are not being followed? You really need to get out and see what is happening to the border towns, or maybe at least even read what is happening to the border towns, ranchers.

Do you know how many facilities are being set up in Texas for illegals? I bet you don't. Do you know the cost to the residents? I bet you don't. Do you know what is happening to the ranchers whose lands are being crossed, etc? I bet you don't. I think if people really opened their eyes instead of being blinded by their politics, they would see the truth of what is happening. If everything is just going swimmingly, why are photos being denied. Why are gag orders being placed with threats of arrest and imprisonment if anyone speaks about the conditions. I really wish everyone, Democrat, Republican, whatever, would see what is happening because in the end, it's not going to matter whether you lean right or left.
And you believe the right answer is to continue as we are thereby likely ending up with 20 million illegals?

You want to fix the problem or continue as we have for the last 25 years?

There is no public will to spend the huge sums needed to deport the illegals. There is no public will to send them home. The unaccompanied children have found a hole in the US Immigration laws. There do not appear to be the votes to fix those holes, if they are in fact fixable short of comprehensive reform, which is not acceptable to the right.

And the immigration laws are being followed. That is what causes the problem. You cannot dump the kids on airplanes and send them home because the immigration laws do not allow it. And you do not have the needed consensus to change those laws.

Old 07-05-2014, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
True -- all of Mexico and Central America would come immediately to claim their bribe --- of course it wouldn't work.

It's far better to cut them off all welfare handouts, and go after the greedy employers of illegals with fines --- $10,000 per year per illegal for individuals -- those using them as cheap maids and gardeners, $100,000 per year per illegal for businesses.

End DACA because that's what got all this smuggling of small children going. No one should be rewarded just for smuggling in children.
You don't have the support or the consensus required to act on any of this. It is not going to happen.

What you do have is the ability to maintain the status quo which may very well lead to 20 million illegals.

So you bark at the moon and it still rises. Why not try and work out something that may make it better?

Old 07-05-2014, 02:19 PM

3,835 posts, read 3,043,254 times
Quote:
And you believe the right answer is to continue as we are thereby likely ending up with 20 million illegals?

You want to fix the problem or continue as we have for the last 25 years?

There is no public will to spend the huge sums needed to deport the illegals. There is no public will to send them home. The unaccompanied children have found a hole in the US Immigration laws. There do not appear to be the votes to fix those holes, if they are in fact fixable short of comprehensive reform, which is not acceptable to the right.

And the immigration laws are being followed. That is what causes the problem. You cannot dump the kids on airplanes and send them home because the immigration laws do not allow it. And you do not have the needed consensus to change those laws.
There's no public will to spend huge sums needed to deport illegals? Oh really, how did you come to this determination? CNN, MSNBC?

But the public has the will to feed, cloth, provide medical care, fly them around the country looking for their "families"? And once they find their families, keep providing free stuff for the rest of their lives?

Obots crack me up.

Old 07-05-2014, 02:23 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,830,864 times
Quote:
You don't have the support or the consensus required to act on any of this. It is not going to happen.

What you do have is the ability to maintain the status quo which may very well lead to 20 million illegals.

So you bark at the moon and it still rises. Why not try and work out something that may make it better?
I don't believe you're right.

Old 07-05-2014, 03:32 PM

17,336 posts, read 9,151,097 times
Quote:

The children have nothing to do with DACA. That is a 1992 law which was just discovered by a particular set of people as a way to beat the US system.
There is no such thing as a DACA (Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals) . DACA was an Executive Order signed by Obama in 2012 after Congress refused to pass The Dream Act. Obama moved unilaterally without Congressional Authority.

There was NO Immigration Law in 1992.

1. There were Immigration Laws passed in 1986, 1990 & 1996.
2. Trafficking Victims Protection Reauthorization Act of 2008: Special Immigrant Juvenile Status
Provisions - Passed by Congress in December 2008, signed by President Bush on 12/23/08. This law was supposed to address Human Trafficking and Slavery of children. Under this Law - a "child" is defined as under the age of 21.

I find it amazing that anyone is buying the fairy tale that these 'children' that can't speak English and live in poverty well over 1,200 miles away ...... traveled by themselves through several countries to land in front of the US Border Patrol to turn themselves in - AND that they did this by finding and exploiting a "Loop-Hole" in USA Immigration Law.

The total Gullibility is astounding.

Old 07-05-2014, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZUMAN View Post
There's no public will to spend huge sums needed to deport illegals? Oh really, how did you come to this determination? CNN, MSNBC?

But the public has the will to feed, cloth, provide medical care, fly them around the country looking for their "families"? And once they find their families, keep providing free stuff for the rest of their lives?

Obots crack me up.
Here is a good review of where the country is on the subject...

Immigration reform is super popular. Here’s why Congress isn’t listening. - The Washington Post

And it also makes it quite clear why nothing is likely to happen.

So the view of the people is clear. They want a fix of the sort in the Senate legislation.

But it is also clear Republicans do not and will react to support for such legislation while it is not a big deal out of those Republican circles.

So we are likely going to go on as we have and likely will end up with far more illegals.

Note the support for employer verification and strengthening the border. That though goes no where as well. In fact I would bet that the employer manage in the end to beat down any strong employer mandate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration