U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What should we do in the short term about the illegal immigrant children sitting in detention?
If they have American Families, let them stay 11 6.40%
Deport them immediately to Mexico (Where they crossed) 49 28.49%
Deport them immediately to their home country 103 59.88%
If they don't have American family put them in foster care in the USA 9 5.23%
Voters: 172. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2014, 09:50 AM

11,395 posts, read 15,995,267 times

Advertisements

Putting larger quandries of legal and ethical standards aside, why can we not find homes for the younger ones in the US? Many Americans go abroad to build their families because it can take years to adopt domestically, rife with birth parents changing their minds.

We have many kids already in our foster care system, quite a few who are adoptable - but most are over 6. Most kids in the foster care system are not available for adoption because their parents have not severed parental rights. Some never will. They way the adoption system currently works, it is incredibly difficult to adopt from Mexico and Central America. While I will not be having kids for awhile yet, I am not able to have biological children and am interested in adopting from Latin America because I speak Spanish, am connected to the culture, and have lived there - but the process has been shut down in some countries and is incredibly expensive/lengthy in others.

Many of these children are going to end up back in orphanages in their home countries. Many of their parents are probably dead - many people die crossing the border and its even more dangerous coming from Central America. If we could come up with a system to ethically identify children who would be candidates for adoption, it would be win-win. A win for Americans trying to build their families by adoption and a win for children who are facing a horrendous fate in a 3rd world orphanage.

Old 06-21-2014, 09:58 AM

47,576 posts, read 58,699,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Putting larger quandries of legal and ethical standards aside, why can we not find homes for the younger ones in the US? Many Americans go abroad to build their families because it can take years to adopt domestically, rife with birth parents changing their minds.

We have many kids already in our foster care system, quite a few who are adoptable - but most are over 6. Most kids in the foster care system are not available for adoption because their parents have not severed parental rights. Some never will. They way the adoption system currently works, it is incredibly difficult to adopt from Mexico and Central America. While I will not be having kids for awhile yet, I am not able to have biological children and am interested in adopting from Latin America because I speak Spanish, am connected to the culture, and have lived there - but the process has been shut down in some countries and is incredibly expensive/lengthy in others.

Many of these children are going to end up back in orphanages in their home countries. Many of their parents are probably dead - many people die crossing the border and its even more dangerous coming from Central America. If we could come up with a system to ethically identify children who would be candidates for adoption, it would be win-win. A win for Americans trying to build their families by adoption and a win for children who are facing a horrendous fate in a 3rd world orphanage.
The problem is -- the parents of these kids aren't smuggling them into the USA for Americans to have children to adopt -- they want to use those kids as a sure way past the immigration laws and into quick legal status and welfare handouts.

Many of those kids have the worst kinds of parents living in the USA who are actually now getting them smuggled in --- knowing full well that it's very risky for these kids -- because the parents know that the DACA illegals will be allowed "family reunification" and the illegal parents will get in on it.

Many of these kids were living with relatives back home and wouldn't go to orphanages. Also many of them have parents back home who intend to use these children as anchors for themselves, get the children smuggled in first and into DACA and then the rest of the family will join them.

Old 06-21-2014, 10:29 AM

24,843 posts, read 31,246,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandiDay View Post
Driller,
Agreed. They not only created the mess, but are propagating it in this vacuum of the lack of enforcement of our laws.

It was more rhetorical in thought...so, what the heck should WE all do??? Anybody have any practical ideas? We can't sit and do nothing, anymore.

I, for one, want to still have a country left for my own children.
Then start looking at other counties....it is to late here.

Old 06-21-2014, 11:42 AM

11,395 posts, read 15,995,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
The problem is -- the parents of these kids aren't smuggling them into the USA for Americans to have children to adopt -- they want to use those kids as a sure way past the immigration laws and into quick legal status and welfare handouts.

Many of those kids have the worst kinds of parents living in the USA who are actually now getting them smuggled in --- knowing full well that it's very risky for these kids -- because the parents know that the DACA illegals will be allowed "family reunification" and the illegal parents will get in on it.

Many of these kids were living with relatives back home and wouldn't go to orphanages. Also many of them have parents back home who intend to use these children as anchors for themselves, get the children smuggled in first and into DACA and then the rest of the family will join them.
This is not a solution for all of the children. But many reports have said that there are children traveling alone. Whether those kids have walked by themselves all the way from Guatemala, have parents waiting on the other side of the border, or have had their parent or caretaker die along the road is up in the air.

Old 06-21-2014, 11:46 AM

20,310 posts, read 18,881,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
This is not a solution for all of the children. But many reports have said that there are children traveling alone. Whether those kids have walked by themselves all the way from Guatemala, have parents waiting on the other side of the border, or have had their parent or caretaker die along the road is up in the air.
Your kindness and compassion are worthy of praise. I also feel bad for children who born to such lousy parents. That said we have many many children here in our own country who also need help. Before we spend a dime on these border crossers we should be looking to our own first.

Old 06-21-2014, 11:48 AM

86,093 posts, read 69,881,813 times
I have not read that they have no family or relatives here.
What I've read is that they are being reunited with family already here regardless of the status of those relatives.
Aunts, uncles, cousins, etc...doesn't necessarily have to be mother or father here.

Old 06-21-2014, 12:05 PM

673 posts, read 552,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Then start looking at other counties....it is to late here.
Sadly, Driller1, you may be correct...
Maybe Australia is the way to go. Just too many venomous spiders and snakes, however!

They're fortunate...no bordering countries to abuse/use them.

Also, they're smart...they have an absolutely STELLAR immigration policy in place.

Potential LEGAL immigrants must have a good reserve of funds, a profession, or a job lined up before even thinking of applying for residency.

Apparently, the U.S. is definitely NOT the leader of the free world with regard to its immigration policy, along with the problem of illegal aliens breaking the laws.

BTW, I will NOT succumb to the PC Kool-Aid of re-defining these people as "undocumented immigrants" (they should be labeled "CRIMINALS" before given the "status" of "IMMIGRANTS")!

Old 06-21-2014, 12:07 PM

24,843 posts, read 31,246,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandiDay View Post
Sadly, Driller1, you may be correct...
Maybe Australia is the way to go. Just too many venomous spiders and snakes, however!

They're fortunate...no bordering countries to abuse/use them.

Also, they're smart...they have an absolutely STELLAR immigration policy in place.

Potential LEGAL immigrants must have a good reserve of funds, a profession, or a job lined up before even thinking of applying for residency.

Apparently, the U.S. is definitely NOT the leader of the free world with regard to its immigration policy, along with the problem of illegal aliens breaking the laws.

BTW, I will NOT succumb to the PC Kool-Aid of re-defining these people as "undocumented immigrants" (they should be labeled "CRIMINALS" before given the "status" of "IMMIGRANTS")!
Yes...invaders.....many armed.

Old 06-21-2014, 12:21 PM

20,310 posts, read 18,881,481 times
Criminals is a fair description of illegals.

Old 06-21-2014, 12:29 PM

47,316 posts, read 24,619,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Like puppies????

How many can you take....5...10.....15 really would not be that hard.
No. I wouldn't compare humans to dogs.

That's your thing.

Anyway, we have a large Hispanic population...start looking there for homes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or