U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 04:33 PM

5,463 posts, read 4,581,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
So for trying to understand the problem you guys have in the USA with illegals from a Canadian perspective your recommendation is i have to give away everything i own.. yeah that makes a lot of sense.
You aren't trying to understand the problem, you are trying to tell us that the problem is miniscule and that we are whining drama queens. Big difference.

Old 06-25-2014, 04:43 PM

32,802 posts, read 30,052,880 times
Quote:
If we all used the search function in combination with Google there wouldnt be much point in participating in the forum..

IMO those cash jobs are very temporary and usually jobs Americans wont do.i doubt many established companies would risk prosecution by hiring undocumented workers
While 11-30 million illegals is probably a good ball park figure how do you come to that figure?Media sources usually quote 11 million but how do you know it isnt 5 million or 50 million.
As for the legal children and illegal parents ? change your 14th amendment problem solved.
Capital News Online - “Passport Babies” in Canada: Epidemic or exception?
Cash and carry is rampant in the US, not just the underground economy in areas of a high concentration of illegals. Most tip only jobs don't declare income either so why would illegals selling wares to mostly other illegals? First they'd have to get an ITIN number.

But you are right, 50 million is probably a far more accurate number.

Old 06-25-2014, 08:12 PM

11,501 posts, read 5,515,070 times
I'm tired of hearing that illegals are doing the jobs that Americans won't do. It's absolutely wrong plus it insults Americans who are desperate for any honest work and are unable to find it.

Even in immigrant-heavy (both legal and illegal ones) cities you will find Americans doing the jobs that those claim they won't do. We recently visited Chicago and can tell you that many of the maids in our hotel were Americans. We went to a food court for a snack and the person who was busing the tables was an American. Keep in mind that Chicago is a sanctuary jurisdiction for illegals.

As for illegals destroying neighborhoods---to the OP---I hear ya! When we moved to our neighborhood in the late 80s, there were no illegals around. Today, they've destroyed the schools and the entire neighborhood. They live 20-30 per flophouse. When you have that many in a house which has only 1 washer and dryer, they have to go to a laundromat. Every shopping center around us now has a "lavanderia". We have lots of townhouses near us and we are getting all the overflow parking on our street. Currently, we have been trying for 2 years to get the county to give us permit parking.

We also have a lot of Indians and Middle Easterners on top of the illegals who live 3 families to a 3 bedroom house. Many have made illegal apartments in their basements. Our overcrowding laws have no teeth in them. It seems that when an inspector goes to a known flophouse, all the residents have to do is say that they are related---and voila!---nothing gets done! What a scam!

OP---BTW, did you know that once illegals drop an anchor, the whole family is eligible for Section 8 housing?

Last edited by BOS2IAD; 06-25-2014 at 08:23 PM..

Old 06-26-2014, 12:30 AM

33,144 posts, read 39,103,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
You aren't trying to understand the problem, you are trying to tell us that the problem is miniscule and that we are whining drama queens. Big difference.
I'm trying to understand by throwing out questions and statements meant for you (not personally) to debate the reality of the situation as if i describe my perception of much whining tell me the right perspective when the topic is "Illegals taking over my town" sounds so hysterically embellished,.the response of selling all my stuff makes absolutely no sense,tell me how all these illegal Mexicans are not being rounded up and deported or why on the one hand they are taking all these jobs from Americans and at the same time lazy bums who do nothing but lay about collecting welfare.
Is the problem miniscule? kinda depends who you talk to as said before if the number of illegals is 11 million the USA has much bigger problems to worry about, if it is indeed 50-100 million i'll agree you got a big problem, however 50 million illegals? theres only 120 million people in all of Mexico are you implying almost half of the Mexican population are living in the USA illegally?

Last edited by jambo101; 06-26-2014 at 01:00 AM..

Old 06-26-2014, 02:37 AM

11,501 posts, read 5,515,070 times
Quote:
I'm trying to understand by throwing out questions and statements meant for you (not personally) to debate the reality of the situation as if i describe my perception of much whining tell me the right perspective when the topic is "Illegals taking over my town" sounds so hysterically embellished,.the response of selling all my stuff makes absolutely no sense,tell me how all these illegal Mexicans are not being rounded up and deported or why on the one hand they are taking all these jobs from Americans and at the same time lazy bums who do nothing but lay about collecting welfare.
Is the problem miniscule? kinda depends who you talk to as said before if the number of illegals is 11 million the USA has much bigger problems to worry about, if it is indeed 50-100 million i'll agree you got a big problem, however 50 million illegals? theres only 120 million people in all of Mexico are you implying almost half of the Mexican population are living in the USA illegally?
1) Obviously, you have no clue as to what it is like to have your town destroyed by illegal aliens. Thus you make condescending and clueless comments such as "[it] sounds so hysterically embellished"

2) The US does have many problems. Who are you to trivialize the problem of illegal immigration? Illegal aliens are parasites that take far, far more than they give.

3) Then you mention "lazy bums who do nothing but lay about collecting welfare". Yes, there are those types in every society that has a safety net. However, there are far more Americans who are desperate for any honest work and are not finding it. Don't believe it? Spend some time lurking in the Work and Employment forum. It will give you an education on this topic.

Old 06-26-2014, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
1) Obviously, you have no clue as to what it is like to have your town destroyed by illegal aliens. Thus you make condescending and clueless comments such as "[it] sounds so hysterically embellished"

2) The US does have many problems. Who are you to trivialize the problem of illegal immigration? Illegal aliens are parasites that take far, far more than they give.

3) Then you mention "lazy bums who do nothing but lay about collecting welfare". Yes, there are those types in every society that has a safety net. However, there are far more Americans who are desperate for any honest work and are not finding it. Don't believe it? Spend some time lurking in the Work and Employment forum. It will give you an education on this topic.
No clue? thats why i'm asking the questions,clue me in as up here in Canada this is not an issue any one talks about or an issue much of the country even knows exists.
I'd think if illegal aliens were taking over/destroying whole towns the media would be all over it. post some links describing whole towns being taken over/being destroyed by illegal aliens as again i have no clue what is meant by that description.
You say illegal aliens are parasites yet you then say they take jobs Americans want,its either one or the other, and what type of American employer is going to hire an illegal undocumented alien over a legit American and in the process open himself up to legal consequences?.
Its also quite obvious America is hurting for jobs but i think the bigger problem is corporate America outsourcing most of the middle classes manufacturing jobs to places like China and southeast Asia and not 11 million Mexicans doing farm labor and domestic jobs.

Old 06-26-2014, 04:21 AM

35,121 posts, read 37,830,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toryturner View Post
Unless you are in her neighborhood I doubt you have any working knowledge of the situation.

Unless you are in her neighborhood I doubt you have any working knowledge of the situation either.

The problem with Illegal Immigrants is absolutely everywhere and the small town we live in is no exception.
There is one large business here and if the Feds would raid the place it would have to shut down because 85% of their employees would be taken into custody because they are illegal.
Until the do gooders get out of the issue and allow the laws to be enforced nothing is going to be done that will make a difference.

Old 06-26-2014, 04:28 AM

3,395 posts, read 3,564,807 times
You don't have an illegal immigrant problem. You have a neighbors-acting-like-jackasses problem.

You definitely should go to the press and explain how police have failed to respond to your concerns. However, keep the focus on your rowdy neighbors' behavior, not their legal status. Frankly, I don't see how you could even know for certain what their legal status is. If you keep the focus on behavior, you will come across as a concerned citizen with a reasonable concern. But if you start ranting about how "the illegals are taking over," you will come across as a crank.

Old 06-26-2014, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
There is one large business here and if the Feds would raid the place it would have to shut down because 85% of their employees would be taken into custody because they are illegal.
This is where i;m not getting it.If this is common knowledge why wouldnt a report to the local police,FBI or media encourage immediate action on the issue?
Give me the name of this business and i'll contact your local media and police.

Old 06-26-2014, 06:04 AM

410 posts, read 935,057 times
Quote:
You say illegal aliens are parasites yet you then say they take jobs Americans want,its either one or the other, and what type of American employer is going to hire an illegal undocumented alien over a legit American and in the process open himself up to legal consequences?.
Agree! This is how the old immigrant-bashing arguments usually go here. I hear it time and time again. Can't have it both ways!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or