U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 07:16 AM

2,370 posts, read 6,856,321 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by User 2 View Post
The last time the feds swept WalMart nationwide, they found 61 stores in 21 states had illegal workers.

States where arrests occurred were Alabama, Arkansas, Arizona, Connecticut, Delaware, Kentucky, Massachusetts, Maryland, Michigan, North Carolina, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia and West Virginia.
And what was the number of total illegals from said Wal-Mart raid on 61 stores vs. the last raid on a single Tyson plant eh?? Probably about an even swap number wise. Meaning, food processing accounts for a much greater bulk number of illegals employed than Wal-Mart. Many (quite possibley most) service businesses are hiring illegals, lets treat them all with equal disdain and not go after the one we just personally dislike and ignore the rest. If you want to attack Wal-Mart singly, they can give you enough ammunition on how they treat their employees and their buying practices. That was the point I was trying to make.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2007, 10:19 AM

1,252 posts, read 726,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow73 View Post
And what was the number of total illegals from said Wal-Mart raid on 61 stores vs. the last raid on a single Tyson plant eh?? Probably about an even swap number wise. Meaning, food processing accounts for a much greater bulk number of illegals employed than Wal-Mart. Many (quite possibley most) service businesses are hiring illegals, lets treat them all with equal disdain and not go after the one we just personally dislike and ignore the rest. If you want to attack Wal-Mart singly, they can give you enough ammunition on how they treat their employees and their buying practices. That was the point I was trying to make.
The number of illegals who were arrested was 250. (and WalMart isn't alone)

...but pointing at WalMart and saying don't attack them because others are just as bad doesn't make any sense,

......bringing up yet another corporation which hires illegal workers isn't any excuse for WalMart, the other corporations benefit just as much from a partnership with an administration which supports those corporations.

You asked what WalMart had to do with it... You said they just benefit from Asian sweatshop labor, ....

That they do, and they're guilty of a number of other predatory practices.

That doesn't lessen the impacts of what WalMart stands for, or what their hiring practices in the US are, WalMart and all the rest of the corporations which exploit our laws don't deserve anyone giving them any of their support, we shouldn't buy from any of them.

Yet, many of the same folks who rail about the woes of illegal immigration, go right out to WalMart, and they purchase ConAgra products, Tyson products, ....they complain about fast food restaurants hiring illegals, and the next thing you know, they're sitting in the drive-up waiting for a McDonald meal.

If people want to see change, they need to stop supporting those corporations, and stop re-electing the politicians who enable those corporations.

That hasn't happened, ...people make excuses, and they go right back to supporting the same corporations, and the same politicians who act in every way to enable each other, to benefit each other, but that's not in the best interests of those who shop there, and buy from them, and support them.

People are voting, and they are spending their money, to support what is not in their best interests.

Rinse and repeat. And in between the repetition? They complain.

There's absolutely no logic to it, but there it is........

Old 12-19-2007, 10:36 AM

2,370 posts, read 6,856,321 times
Quote:
The number of illegals who were arrested was 250. (and WalMart isn't alone)

...but pointing at WalMart and saying don't attack them because others are just as bad doesn't make any sense,

......bringing up yet another corporation which hires illegal workers isn't any excuse for WalMart, the other corporations benefit just as much from a partnership with an administration which supports those corporations.

You asked what WalMart had to do with it... You said they just benefit from Asian sweatshop labor, ....

That they do, and they're guilty of a number of other predatory practices.

That doesn't lessen the impacts of what WalMart stands for, or what their hiring practices in the US are, WalMart and all the rest of the corporations which exploit our laws don't deserve anyone giving them any of their support, we shouldn't buy from any of them.

Yet, many of the same folks who rail about the woes of illegal immigration, go right out to WalMart, and they purchase ConAgra products, Tyson products, ....they complain about fast food restaurants hiring illegals, and the next thing you know, they're sitting in the drive-up waiting for a McDonald meal.

If people want to see change, they need to stop supporting those corporations, and stop re-electing the politicians who enable those corporations.

That hasn't happened, ...people make excuses, and they go right back to supporting the same corporations, and the same politicians who act in every way to enable each other, to benefit each other, but that's not in the best interests of those who shop there, and buy from them, and support them.

People are voting, and they are spending their money, to support what is not in their best interests.

Rinse and repeat. And in between the repetition? They complain.

There's absolutely no logic to it, but there it is........
Fair play to you! Good points and duly noted!

Old 12-19-2007, 01:00 PM

1,144 posts, read 3,256,778 times
Quote:
It is?

I haven't seen anyone say that in this thread?

Where is that stated?

Did you reply to the wrong thread?
Read the article this thread is about.

Old 12-20-2007, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanQuest View Post
Read the article this thread is about.
Why would you have a confused smiley in your post?

I would have to guess you didn't read the article.

If you had, you may have noticed the article mentions not one thing about the U.S. needing illegals, or, (for that matter), that they aren't needed in their home countries.

The article is about the state of the US dollar, the weakness of our dollar. Notice the headline?

Quote:
Weak dollar adds twist to 'Made in America'
http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com...USA.aspx?page=

The article states that our dollar is so weak, that the lower cost countries such as India, China, Mexico, etc are no longer so attractive because our dollar against other world currencies is now worth very little comparatively.

The boogey man here is not illegals, it's a monetary policy which has devalued the US dolllar.

If you're looking to this article for someone to demonize, try US monetary policymakers, they created the devalued dollar.

Old 12-21-2007, 06:59 AM

12,870 posts, read 12,775,361 times
Quote:
It's another card game?

....and who is driving the wedge?

The point is that it's not a game of who's more popular or who is on which 'side' of some imagined argument or game.

Why focus the majority of your attention on playing a game or arguing some position that you're on some higher road than another.

By and large, where you're directing your energy isn't where the decisions are made.

Rather than ignore the conditions which encourage illegal immigration,

...rather than play games consisting of nothing much more than bickering amongst those who aren't making any decisions about those conditions,

why not direct that attention on who is making policy?

You can posture and postulate, ....but to what end?

You won't change anything until the policy makers are held to account.

It's not your neighbor who is making policy and it's not your neighbor who is making a profit off of illegal immigration.

it is certainly our neighbor mexico who is making a profit off of illegal immigration. illegal immigration pay sent home is bigger for their economy than tourism, and that is done on the backs of american workers.

Old 12-21-2007, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Why would you have a confused smiley in your post?

I would have to guess you didn't read the article.

If you had, you may have noticed the article mentions not one thing about the U.S. needing illegals, or, (for that matter), that they aren't needed in their home countries.

The article is about the state of the US dollar, the weakness of our dollar. Notice the headline?

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com...USA.aspx?page=

The article states that our dollar is so weak, that the lower cost countries such as India, China, Mexico, etc are no longer so attractive because our dollar against other world currencies is now worth very little comparatively.

The boogey man here is not illegals, it's a monetary policy which has devalued the US dolllar.

If you're looking to this article for someone to demonize, try US monetary policymakers, they created the devalued dollar.
The highlighted portion of the article directly pertains to the the subject of illegal immigration and the connection that sorrow excuses, people like yourself are trying to use to bait people into believing that Mexico is a hopeless and desolate place that has no jobs in it at all. You are proving to the other readers here that you and others need to be spoon fed when it comes to interpreting messages. Wake up!!!

Old 12-22-2007, 05:38 AM

Quote:
The highlighted portion of the article directly pertains to the the subject of illegal immigration and the connection that sorrow excuses, people like yourself are trying to use to bait people into believing that Mexico is a hopeless and desolate place that has no jobs in it at all. You are proving to the other readers here that you and others need to be spoon fed when it comes to interpreting messages. Wake up!!!
Besides your sorry and lame attempt to assign some argument to me that I have never made, it's not so obvious who it is that needs to 'Wake up!!!', as you say, quester....

Perhaps if you could interpret what you read without interjecting what isn't mentioned in what you read, you wouldn't appear so unqualified to offer such ill-conceived 'advice'....

Old 12-22-2007, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Besides your sorry and lame attempt to assign some argument to me that I have never made, it's not so obvious who it is that needs to 'Wake up!!!', as you say, quester....

Perhaps if you could interpret what you read without interjecting what isn't mentioned in what you read, you wouldn't appear so unqualified to offer such ill-conceived 'advice'....

It has become apparent to me that you have no life. Since you love illegal immigrants, perhaps you could marry one to make them legal and you might for the first time have some one who will like you. Wait a minute, it's probably a stretch to imagine someone would marry you, even if it is for legal residency (I think they would rather go back and jump into trash cans for survival). Anyway, your mom probably would object, considering the lack of space there is in the basement for you 2. BTW, I know your a troll, and it is my pleasure to offend you...

Old 12-22-2007, 11:02 PM

Quote:
It has become apparent to me that you have no life. Since you love illegal immigrants, perhaps you could marry one to make them legal and you might for the first time have some one who will like you. Wait a minute, it's probably a stretch to imagine someone would marry you, even if it is for legal residency (I think they would rather go back and jump into trash cans for survival). Anyway, your mom probably would object, considering the lack of space there is in the basement for you 2. BTW, I know your a troll, and it is my pleasure to offend you...
It's always interesting to count the numbers of times one can ignore the terms of service one agrees to when they sign on to this forum, and often, all in one post.

I'm not offended, I'm amused at your lack of originality, acuity, and depth on display when you attempt to offend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or