U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2007, 05:11 PM

1,252 posts, read 725,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
I did look at that, seemed to be all authors or professors with opinions some back in 1999 and 1993. I didnt see any actual links to government agencies records or data. I dont want opinions.
Since the study you cited was based on estimates, you cited opinions.

And the data gathered to make those estimates in the study you cited was gathered from 1997 & 1998.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2007, 05:28 PM

10,017 posts, read 16,692,551 times
Results Similar to Other Studies. Our overall conclusion that education level is the primary determinant of tax payments made and services used is very similar to the conclusion of the 1997 National Research Council report, "The New Americans." The results of our study also closely match the findings of a 1998 Urban Institute study, which examined tax payments by illegal aliens in New York State. In order to test our results we ran separate estimates for federal taxes and found that, when adjusted for inflation, our estimated federal taxes are almost identical to those of the Urban Institute. The results of this study are also buttressed by an analysis of illegal alien tax returns done by the Inspector General's Office of the Department of Treasury in 2004, which found that about half of illegals had no federal income tax liability, very similar to our finding of 45 percent.[/b]

SO basicaly they cost us a fortune then too!!!!!!

Old 12-18-2007, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
Our overall conclusion that education level is the primary determinant of tax payments made and services used is very similar to the conclusion of the 1997 National Research Council report,
To clarify, are you saying 'our' study is the Camarota study?

Old 12-18-2007, 06:17 PM

Don't sweat it, PL

Pearl S Buck was an old gal when she said,

"The young do not know enough to be prudent, and therefore they attempt the impossible....

......only to achieve it, generation after generation."

Old 12-18-2007, 06:32 PM

11,878 posts, read 32,921,320 times
Folks, in this thread I've seen several references to the physical age of some posters. Per the Terms of Service, this is against forum rules. Debate the topic all day and night, but please refrain from calling people children and such or I will have to close the thread.
Thank you!

Old 12-18-2007, 06:50 PM

20,310 posts, read 18,881,481 times
Amnesty!!! They have broken numerous laws from the first illegal entery, to identity theft, to tax fraud and evasion. Amnesty!!!! They have forced honest legal citizens out of their trades, they have abused our social programs and they protest that we don't give them enough. Amnesty!!!
Not no but hell no...
Cross back to where they come from and enter legally.... Any caught should be deported and banned from ever returning again.
The crappy jobs they do that no one else will excuse is lame and is an absolute myth.
Construction: Roofing,drywall,masonary,carpentry,asphalt paving.
Landscaping???? Plenty of nonillegals do these jobs but for better wages.
Factory work?? I work in a factory and no we don't need any nonenglish speaking illegals to do our jobs.
Meat packing. LOL naw we have plenty of legals who do this as well.
Fast food: No illegals work the local Burger kings in my area.
Hotels: I'll pay more for legal workers anytime.
Agriculture seems to be about the only area that dependence on illegals is a true problem. This too can be fixed in time.
Alls amnesty will do is create insentive for more to to do the same.

Old 12-18-2007, 06:58 PM

9,308 posts, read 25,657,329 times
Thank you, Tinman . . . BEAUTIFULLY STATED!

Old 12-18-2007, 07:02 PM

23,000 posts, read 31,949,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Amnesty!!! They have broken numerous laws from the first illegal entery, to identity theft, to tax fraud and evasion. Amnesty!!!! They have forced honest legal citizens out of their trades, they have abused our social programs and they protest that we don't give them enough. Amnesty!!!
Not no but hell no...
Cross back to where they come from and enter legally.... Any caught should be deported and banned from ever returning again.
The crappy jobs they do that no one else will excuse is lame and is an absolute myth.
Factory work?? I work in a factory and no we don't need any nonenglish speaking illegals to do our jobs.
Agriculture seems to be about the only area that dependence on illegals is a true problem. This too can be fixed in time.
nice tinman but you forgot a job:

thugs: we already have an overabundance of legal labor in this field

Old 12-18-2007, 07:16 PM

4,828 posts, read 6,790,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Not no but hell no...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

40 percent of illegal immigrants are visa overstayers, so the illegal entry point is moot

Most illegals pay taxes with itin# so that rules out your argument about identity theft, fraud and tax evasion.

The IRS created a nine-digit Individual Tax Identification Number in 1996 for foreigners who donít have Social Security numbers but need to file taxes in the U.S. But it is increasingly used by undocumented workers to file taxes, apply for credit, get bank accounts or even buy a home

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18077009/

Old 12-18-2007, 07:21 PM

3,712 posts, read 5,709,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
Folks, in this thread I've seen several references to the physical age of some posters. Per the Terms of Service, this is against forum rules. Debate the topic all day and night, but please refrain from calling people children and such or I will have to close the thread.
Thank you!
Somebody can accuse me of being too young if they want. Really, I won't mind.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration