U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the President take executive action on the border?
Yes 13 13.00%
No 82 82.00%
Other 5 5.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 12:08 PM

4,304 posts, read 11,126,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Myths and they have been busted numerous times.
less than 25% of agricultural jobs are done by illegals.
Jobs americans won't do? Not at the low ball wages illegals are willing to do them for. It is a complete Myth that illegals only do the jobs legals won't do. The issue is pay scale, not work ethic. Do you believe the greedy employer passes on the savings to you the consumer?
The share cropping analogy is a fail as is any analogy to slave labor.
The President is no Harriet Tubman and you insult the woman's legacy with such a comparison. Illegals are criminals and criminals by choice. Obama is pandering to a very specific voting block and ignoring the actual issues with our system. We as a nation have no need to import uneducated illiterate people. We produce more than enough on our own. We have no need to import more criminals. Those too we produce more than enough on our own.
If anything we need to raise the bar on who is an acceptable immigrant. We don't need more poor who will only be a burden upon us. We have no moral requirement to grant a free pass for the many laws illegals have violated. In fact we have a moral requirement to make sure every illegal caught is prosecuted and held accountable for their crimes.
Obama is a snake oil salesman at best and a corrupt failure at worse.

Nice rant but I will ask again. Do you think big business republicans are going to let cheap labor go back across the border. Lobbyist will blow the hinges off their doors if they thought there was a chance of this happening. Being honest about the issue is the first step to a common sense approach. What I want and what I will get are not the same.

Reggie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2014, 12:21 PM

86,093 posts, read 69,893,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainraiser View Post
Nice rant but I will ask again. Do you think big business republicans are going to let cheap labor go back across the border. Lobbyist will blow the hinges off their doors if they thought there was a chance of this happening. Being honest about the issue is the first step to a common sense approach. What I want and what I will get are not the same.

Reggie
The amnesty bill will not send anyone back home across the border.
We all know that.

I think the House should just approve the Senate version of the bill.

That doubles H1B visas, creates a new W-Visa for unskilled workers, mandates the USG pay for a lawyer for every illegal that comes to the US, streamlining the asylum process to make it easer to claim refugee status, easy family repatriation/reunification process to cut backlogs of applications.

Yeah..the Dems are putting a hard foot down on keeping cheap labor.

And FWIW there was a surge in illegals entering the US after the Reagan amnesty.

All we do is nothing for years, give them amnesty, watch the numbers grow again, give them amnesty, etc.

Neverending cycle of illegals turning legal.

Old 07-01-2014, 01:57 PM

31,500 posts, read 14,573,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
The differences are only semantic in that ,a path to legal citizenship, work permits, and amnesty all have the same effect on the daily lives of imigrants.IMO work permits would be defacto slavery, working in America with out the protection of citizenship.
But they aren't immigrants and why should we give them any of the above and how will any of the above deter more illegal immigration?

Old 07-01-2014, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Between 62-67% of all Americans support some form of pathway to citizenship. The key word being "some form". In the good old days Congress would get together and hammer out some type of agreement. Both would walk away with getting some of the things they wanted while giving up some other things. It was called compromise which seems to be a strange concept now days. Now they sit and do nothing while more and more illegals enter the country. Common sense has abandoned our government and we are suffering for it. It is time for us to come up with a permanent solution for illegal immigration. We have a real problem on our hands and we need real solutions. Self deportation is a pipe dream. Building a fence is stupid. If you don't deny jobs to illegals you can forget about any type of reform working. Who gets in and who does not is something the lawmakers need to determine. If we don't use a common sense approach we will be having this same conversation 10 years from now.

Reggie
The outcome of any poll depends on how the questions are posed. I already posted a link that is contrary to what you are claiming.

Why should we compromise on our illegal immigration laws? If there were an amnesty passed would that change more illegals coming to our country? No, in fact it would just encourage more. We have a permanent solution to illegal immigration but you claim it won't work with no evidence to back that up. Why would illegals remain here if there were no job magnets, no benefits and no birthright citizenship for their kids? Building the double wall has already been proven to work on a sector on our San Diego border with Mexico. I have yet to read a common sense approach other than the above.

Old 07-01-2014, 02:21 PM

20,968 posts, read 15,285,903 times
If he would get troops on the border, close it, and enforce existing laws, I'd be all for the executive action. Given that he is most likely going to unilaterally shove some refugee status/amnesty down everyone's throats, absolutely not.

Old 07-01-2014, 02:35 PM

20,310 posts, read 18,884,971 times
Quote:

Reggie
Rant? Whatever.
In regard to your question. Republican or Democrat both fear the vote. One side seeks to pander to the Latino vote while the other seeks to avoid a backlash from the conservative side. Which big businesses are in the business of recruiting illegals for their labor pool? Which fortune 500 company?
Illegals are typically hired by small businesses. A company like Procter and Gamble already uses E-Verify and does back ground checks. I know I work for P&G and every employee had to provide a copy of their birth certificate, a valid ID and a social security card. Dupont required the same about the same time.
I agree the first step in a common sense approach is honesty. Illegals are all criminals. That is being honest. Common sense dictates that you don't reward criminal behavior if you want less of it.
What the nation needs is honesty from our leadership. Impossible under the GOP or Democrats.

Old 07-01-2014, 02:37 PM

20,310 posts, read 18,884,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The amnesty bill will not send anyone back home across the border.
We all know that.

I think the House should just approve the Senate version of the bill.

That doubles H1B visas, creates a new W-Visa for unskilled workers, mandates the USG pay for a lawyer for every illegal that comes to the US, streamlining the asylum process to make it easer to claim refugee status, easy family repatriation/reunification process to cut backlogs of applications.

Yeah..the Dems are putting a hard foot down on keeping cheap labor.

And FWIW there was a surge in illegals entering the US after the Reagan amnesty.

All we do is nothing for years, give them amnesty, watch the numbers grow again, give them amnesty, etc.

Neverending cycle of illegals turning legal.
No the house should break it apart and keep was is viable and disregard the needless pork.
Start with mandatory E-Verify on all existing and future employees backed up with hefty fines and watch the self deportation commence.

Old 07-01-2014, 02:42 PM

10,395 posts, read 8,349,307 times
Medical staff warned: Keep your mouths shut about illegal immigrants or face arrest | Fox News Land of the Free (speech?) and Home of the Brave? yeah right.

Old 07-01-2014, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Rant? Whatever.
In regard to your question. Republican or Democrat both fear the vote. One side seeks to pander to the Latino vote while the other seeks to avoid a backlash from the conservative side. Which big businesses are in the business of recruiting illegals for their labor pool? Which fortune 500 company?
Illegals are typically hired by small businesses. A company like Procter and Gamble already uses E-Verify and does back ground checks. I know I work for P&G and every employee had to provide a copy of their birth certificate, a valid ID and a social security card. Dupont required the same about the same time.
I agree the first step in a common sense approach is honesty. Illegals are all criminals. That is being honest. Common sense dictates that you don't reward criminal behavior if you want less of it.
What the nation needs is honesty from our leadership. Impossible under the GOP or Democrats.
That's what I've been saying all along also. It isn't most big corporations that hire illegal aliens. It tends to be smaller businesses and mom and pop small ones that do. As you said, rewarding bad behavior only encourages more of the same and not fair to those who play by the rules.

Old 07-01-2014, 02:46 PM

55,237 posts, read 72,415,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
Should the President take executive action in this case?

AOL.com Article - Obama: I'll act on my own on immigration
Obama is a shrewd politician he will feint amnesty and deport millions
And then blame it on congress and law enforcement
The buck will not be found stopping here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or