U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the President take executive action on the border?
Yes 13 13.00%
No 82 82.00%
Other 5 5.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 02:59 PM

3,717 posts, read 4,494,215 times

Advertisements

Should the President take executive action on the border ?

NO

He has no clear thought process, Really it's just to simple for him to comprehend as
compared to being a community organizer

Seeing how he refuses to enforce American law, he might want to look at how
other countries handle this like, Korea, China heck even Mexico.

He never let's a good crisis go to political waste

ďA Liberal Paradise would be a place where everybody
has guaranteed employment, free comprehensive healthcare,
free education, free food, free housing, free clothing, free utilities;
and only Law Enforcement has guns.

Such a place does exist.

Itís called prison.Ē

(Ayn Rand)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2014, 03:26 PM

20,310 posts, read 18,881,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
Obama is a shrewd politician he will feint amnesty and deport millions
And then blame it on congress and law enforcement
The buck will not be found stopping here
The only thing shrewd about Obama is his ability to generate excuses. He doesn't deport he sends letters of deportations and counts that as an actual deportation. He counts people turned away at the border.
He panders and is doing his level best not to deport. 36,000 criminals released from jails!!!
The only thing I take him at his word for is when he says he is going on vacation. He seems to always get that done.

Old 07-01-2014, 03:41 PM

4,304 posts, read 11,124,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Rant? Whatever.
In regard to your question. Republican or Democrat both fear the vote. One side seeks to pander to the Latino vote while the other seeks to avoid a backlash from the conservative side. Which big businesses are in the business of recruiting illegals for their labor pool? Which fortune 500 company?
Illegals are typically hired by small businesses. A company like Procter and Gamble already uses E-Verify and does back ground checks. I know I work for P&G and every employee had to provide a copy of their birth certificate, a valid ID and a social security card. Dupont required the same about the same time.
I agree the first step in a common sense approach is honesty. Illegals are all criminals. That is being honest. Common sense dictates that you don't reward criminal behavior if you want less of it.
What the nation needs is honesty from our leadership. Impossible under the GOP or Democrats.

We are in agreement that E-verify is the first step. Not having any type of way of verifying employees is the reason why the first amnesty program failed. If you don't cutoff the jobs your just spinning your wheel thinking any immigration reform is going to work. I don't think anyone regardless of party would disagree with this. The issue is what to do with the current illegals once you cutoff the jobs. It is true that many of them will self deport. The question is how many of those 11+ million in the country will simply leave. If we have to arrest the others and deport them how much will that cost. Where do you hold these people while waiting to deport them. Make no mistake there will be a huge cost for whatever action we take.

I live in the state of Texas and anyone who tells you the state would not be hurt by not have any illegals is a liar. The construction industry would come to a complete halt. There would zero home construction because they dominate the construction trade. Huge parts of DFW would be ghost towns. Our economy would take a severe hit if we lost that many people at once. Me and Old Glory have went round and around on this issue. The problem is a little more complex than cutting off the jobs and they will all self deport. Even if we sent them all packing and took the one time hit... our politicians are not going to allow all of that cheap labor to simply flood back across the border. It is not going to happen regardless of what the day dreamers think. The day I see 11 million illegals leave the US will be the day I invest all of my money in unicorn farms.

Reggie

Old 07-01-2014, 03:42 PM

3,533 posts, read 2,171,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Which big businesses are in the business of recruiting illegals for their labor pool? Which fortune 500 company?
Over at the CD employment forum a few months back a poster was upset that when she interviewed for a tech job, she was informed by the F500 company that they were not hiring American citizens for the position. A later poster, providing a link, showed where this small company called IBM, had successfully got 10K H1-B visas approved for a position in San Francisco on the grounds that they could find no American citizens qualified for the position. The government clamped down on them when it was revealed that the position specified minimum wage pay for a required Masters in Computer Science. Technically this was not recruiting illegals, they got them to be pre declared legal then went out and shopped for cheap foreign labor.

Old 07-01-2014, 04:40 PM

31,479 posts, read 14,565,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainraiser View Post
We are in agreement that E-verify is the first step. Not having any type of way of verifying employees is the reason why the first amnesty program failed. If you don't cutoff the jobs your just spinning your wheel thinking any immigration reform is going to work. I don't think anyone regardless of party would disagree with this. The issue is what to do with the current illegals once you cutoff the jobs. It is true that many of them will self deport. The question is how many of those 11+ million in the country will simply leave. If we have to arrest the others and deport them how much will that cost. Where do you hold these people while waiting to deport them. Make no mistake there will be a huge cost for whatever action we take.

I live in the state of Texas and anyone who tells you the state would not be hurt by not have any illegals is a liar. The construction industry would come to a complete halt. There would zero home construction because they dominate the construction trade. Huge parts of DFW would be ghost towns. Our economy would take a severe hit if we lost that many people at once. Me and Old Glory have went round and around on this issue. The problem is a little more complex than cutting off the jobs and they will all self deport. Even if we sent them all packing and took the one time hit... our politicians are not going to allow all of that cheap labor to simply flood back across the border. It is not going to happen regardless of what the day dreamers think. The day I see 11 million illegals leave the US will be the day I invest all of my money in unicorn farms.

Reggie
How did the construction business survive before illegal aliens flooded that industry? They employed Americans, that's how. How is allowing these millions to remain here solve anything? If you agree that removing the job incentives via e-verify will deter future illegal immigration how can you disagree that it won't encourage those already here to leave for the same reason? That doesn't make any sense. Many sources including government ones have stated that it is cheaper to deport illegal aliens than to allow them to remain here. But then again we aren't talking about mass involuntary deportations which would hold the highest price tag. Most of us aren't advocating for that. Remove the magnets and it will not only discourage future illegal immigration but force many here already to leave. 11 million may not leave but I'd be willing to bet many millions would. Unless the claim that "they are only here for a better life" simply isn't true.

Old 07-01-2014, 05:48 PM

20,611 posts, read 12,282,218 times
Quote:
Does anyone on this forum thinks a politican is going to send cheap labor back across the border. Dems want them for potential voters and pubs want them for the cheap labor. Anyone who thinks this is not the case clearly has issues with facing the truth.

Reggie
If enough Americans get pissed off; Dems AND Repubs WILL change their minds real fast.

Old 07-01-2014, 05:51 PM

20,611 posts, read 12,282,218 times
Quote:

Reggie
I don't believe you. Many US citizens WILL work in the trades if the money's there. Ot used to till ILLEGAL aliens pushed down wages. Sheesh!

Old 07-01-2014, 05:51 PM
NCN

21,136 posts, read 21,125,167 times
If he is deporting illegals; I support it. If he is allowing them to say here by executive order; I would call it treason.

Is that plain enough? Immigration reform is not needed. Immigration enforcement is needed.

I voted "other" because I don't know what he has been up to lately. I can't stand to listen to him.

Old 07-01-2014, 07:10 PM

4,304 posts, read 11,124,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
I don't believe you. Many US citizens WILL work in the trades if the money's there. Ot used to till ILLEGAL aliens pushed down wages. Sheesh!

Yep you are correct. Americans will work those jobs like that did 30 years ago. They got squeezed out by cheap labor. Get rid of the illegals and Americans will once again do those jobs at a decent wage. Currently there are not enough Americans who are trained in these trades to fill the void. In the short term this would cripple our construction industry. No one can tell you how long it would take to get it back to normal levels.

Reggie

Old 07-01-2014, 07:20 PM

31,479 posts, read 14,565,596 times
Quote:
Yep you are correct. Americans will work those jobs like that did 30 years ago. They got squeezed out by cheap labor. Get rid of the illegals and Americans will once again do those jobs at a decent wage. Currently there are not enough Americans who are trained in these trades to fill the void. In the short term this would cripple our construction industry. No one can tell you how long it would take to get it back to normal levels.

Reggie
Please provide a link proving that there aren't enough Americans that are trained to do construction work, etc. After all these illegal aliens got trained, didn't they? What happened to the Americans who were doing it prior to the illegal invasion? Did they just vanish into thin air?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or