U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Should the President take executive action on the border?
Yes 13 13.00%
No 82 82.00%
Other 5 5.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-01-2014, 08:24 PM
 
20,611 posts, read 12,282,218 times
Reputation: 5895

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainraiser View Post
Yep you are correct. Americans will work those jobs like that did 30 years ago. They got squeezed out by cheap labor. Get rid of the illegals and Americans will once again do those jobs at a decent wage. Currently there are not enough Americans who are trained in these trades to fill the void. In the short term this would cripple our construction industry. No one can tell you how long it would take to get it back to normal levels.

Reggie
I ain't worried. The US got its act together and took down Germany and Japan 70 years ago. We ain't Mexico which may NEVER get its act together, at least while it's still called 'Mexico".

Too; wages WILL go UP which will push more capable people to get into the trades.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-01-2014, 08:42 PM
 
3,847 posts, read 3,161,032 times
Reputation: 2437
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
The differences are only semantic in that ,a path to legal citizenship, work permits, and amnesty all have the same effect on the daily lives of imigrants.IMO work permits would be defacto slavery, working in America with out the protection of citizenship.
Immigrants ???

You mean Illegal Aliens, no one has a problem with LEGAL immigrants, your opinion doesn't mean squat when you blur the distinction between the two.

Immigrants have rights here already and the laws apply, nice try at deflecting from the real issue with your incorrect terms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2014, 12:40 AM
 
47,576 posts, read 58,699,632 times
Reputation: 22158
I absolutely do not support him erasing all immigration laws and making the border the free-for-all it now is. He took an oath of office to uphold the laws of the USA, he's refusing to do that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2014, 12:45 AM
 
47,576 posts, read 58,699,632 times
Reputation: 22158
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
The differences are only semantic in that ,a path to legal citizenship, work permits, and amnesty all have the same effect on the daily lives of imigrants.IMO work permits would be defacto slavery, working in America with out the protection of citizenship.
You have an odd definition of slavery. Slavery is forced and unpaid labor. Just like Americans will get work permits to work in Saudi Arabia to make more money than they can make in the USA, there are perfectly valid temporary guest workers.

Illegals really didn't give a hoot about citizenship or they would not have made the choice to break the immigration laws. There is no reason at all to reward them for breaking the laws.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2014, 04:04 AM
 
8,794 posts, read 9,620,365 times
Reputation: 6682
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
You have an odd definition of slavery. Slavery is forced and unpaid labor. Just like Americans will get work permits to work in Saudi Arabia to make more money than they can make in the USA, there are perfectly valid temporary guest workers.

Illegals really didn't give a hoot about citizenship or they would not have made the choice to break the immigration laws. There is no reason at all to reward them for breaking the laws.
Slavery is keeping people in a social, economic and political status so they can be policed by anyone; employers, landlords, people on the street. A work permit is the equivalent to " papers" a slave carried with him to allow him to work and travel off the plantation. People have mythologized slavery to the point they don't or refused to recognized it as it exist today. Just yesterday people on the street policed a bus load of slaves. Trust me, allowing Mexicans to stay in America legally is no more a reward than emancipation was for black people. It took another 100 years for them to get their Civil Rights. Sometimes I want to shake Mexicans and tell them do you know what the hell you are in for ? It's not worth it.

Last edited by thriftylefty; 07-02-2014 at 04:16 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2014, 09:20 AM
 
Location: Pa
20,310 posts, read 18,881,481 times
Reputation: 6517
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
Slavery is keeping people in a social, economic and political status so they can be policed by anyone; employers, landlords, people on the street. A work permit is the equivalent to " papers" a slave carried with him to allow him to work and travel off the plantation. People have mythologized slavery to the point they don't or refused to recognized it as it exist today. Just yesterday people on the street policed a bus load of slaves. Trust me, allowing Mexicans to stay in America legally is no more a reward than emancipation was for black people. It took another 100 years for them to get their Civil Rights. Sometimes I want to shake Mexicans and tell them do you know what the hell you are in for ? It's not worth it.
Here we go again.
slavery (ˈsleɪvərɪ)
n
1. (Law) the state or condition of being a slave; a civil relationship whereby one person has absolute power over another and controls his life, liberty, and fortune
2. the subjection of a person to another person, esp in being forced into work

Illegals enter into the relationship willingly. In fact they knowingly violate a number of laws just to enter into the relationship willingly. They deserve no compassion, no reward for their misdeeds. They are no more a slave than a car jacker is to the chop shop that buys the stolen car.
Sometimes I want shake illegals and tell them we have laws, millions of legals have been welcomed to this country. Try obeying our laws if you want a little respect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2014, 09:30 AM
 
Location: Phoenix,Arizona
3,709 posts, read 4,494,215 times
Reputation: 3609
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Try obeying our laws if you want a little respect.
So easy and yet so hard to understand much less comprehend

HARSH YOU SAY??

There will be no special bilingual programs in the schools, no
special ballots for elections,all government business will be
conducted in our language.
Foreigners will NOT have the right to vote no matter how long
they are here.
Foreigners will NEVER be able to hold political office.
Foreigners will not be a burden to the taxpayers. No welfare, no food stamps, no health care, or other government assistance
programs.
Foreigners can invest in this country, but it must be an amount equal to 40,000 times the daily minimum wage.
If foreigners do come and want to buy land that will be okay,
BUT options will be restricted. You are not allowed waterfront
property. That is reserved for citizens naturally born into this
country.
Foreigners may not protest; no demonstrations, no waving a
foreign flag, no political organizing, no bad-mouthing our president or his policies, if you do you will be sent home.
If you do come to this country illegally, you will be hunted
down and sent straight to jail.

Harsh, you say?...............
The above laws happen to be the immigration laws of "MEXICO"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2014, 09:39 AM
 
8,794 posts, read 9,620,365 times
Reputation: 6682
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Here we go again.
slavery (ˈsleɪvərɪ)
n
1. (Law) the state or condition of being a slave; a civil relationship whereby one person has absolute power over another and controls his life, liberty, and fortune
2. the subjection of a person to another person, esp in being forced into work

Illegals enter into the relationship willingly. In fact they knowingly violate a number of laws just to enter into the relationship willingly. They deserve no compassion, no reward for their misdeeds. They are no more a slave than a car jacker is to the chop shop that buys the stolen car.
Sometimes I want shake illegals and tell them we have laws, millions of legals have been welcomed to this country. Try obeying our laws if you want a little respect.
I really don't know how the immigration issue will finally get settled but conservatives are not going to be the first people in the history of the world to stop the migration of people across a continent, something that has occurred with regularity since the beginning of time without regard to ; walls , laws, wars, feast, famine, deserts, ragging seas, tyrants or natural disasters. Hitler tried with some success but it cost Germany more than it was worth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2014, 01:47 PM
 
31,475 posts, read 14,565,596 times
Reputation: 8350
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
I really don't know how the immigration issue will finally get settled but conservatives are not going to be the first people in the history of the world to stop the migration of people across a continent, something that has occurred with regularity since the beginning of time without regard to ; walls , laws, wars, feast, famine, deserts, ragging seas, tyrants or natural disasters. Hitler tried with some success but it cost Germany more than it was worth.
Um, conservatives aren't stopping legal immigrants from coming here. Illegal immigration is their objection. They aren't stopping those who truly are refugees from coming here either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2014, 02:18 PM
 
Location: San Diego
32,799 posts, read 30,034,103 times
Reputation: 17687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainraiser View Post
Between 62-67% of all Americans support some form of pathway to citizenship. The key word being "some form". In the good old days Congress would get together and hammer out some type of agreement. Both would walk away with getting some of the things they wanted while giving up some other things. It was called compromise which seems to be a strange concept now days. Now they sit and do nothing while more and more illegals enter the country. Common sense has abandoned our government and we are suffering for it. It is time for us to come up with a permanent solution for illegal immigration. We have a real problem on our hands and we need real solutions. Self deportation is a pipe dream. Building a fence is stupid. If you don't deny jobs to illegals you can forget about any type of reform working. Who gets in and who does not is something the lawmakers need to determine. If we don't use a common sense approach we will be having this same conversation 10 years from now.

Reggie
They DID float a proposal. It included fines, learning English, proving they had a job, were paying taxes, etc and the pro-illegals shot it down with howls of protest. They countered with what was in essence, amnesty in crackerjack boxes.

Thus were we are now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top