U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Should the President take executive action on the border?
Yes 13 13.00%
No 82 82.00%
Other 5 5.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-09-2014, 11:04 AM
 
Location: Oxygen Ln. AZ
9,321 posts, read 16,131,214 times
Reputation: 5685

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
You may get for what you wish for

The problem with that is nobody knows what he will do next . Is he going to give mass amnesty to every person residing in the US illegally? He basically gave, and is giving a free ride on our dollar to every illegal mother and child that has come up from Central America since last year. The same applies to the rest of the people here illegally from other areas of the world so its not just a South of the border issue. I would be okay with the something along the idea of the Dream Act as it benefits both sides.

I have a couple of friends on disability, both American Citizens, they both receive about $1000 a month to live on, plus a small amount for food stamps. They both have had their food stamps cut in the last year. There is only so much money to go around and poor Americans have to suffer to support people moving here illegally.
So happy someone can see the bigger picture. Our means for helping American families/citizens is being squeezed to provide for anyone who creeps across the border...not just Mexicans, but Chinese, middle east, Africans, etc. How many homeless are being helped with housing right now? Not many, but crawl into this country and you get housing vouchers, food stamps free medical. What a dream eh? This president is incapable of fixing the border and his answer was to just fly them and bus them in and then blame the GOP for the problem. Build the fence...we can still build can't we?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-09-2014, 11:24 AM
 
Location: Pa
20,310 posts, read 18,878,727 times
Reputation: 6517
Depends upon the decision. If the decision is to grant a reward for criminal behavior? Absolutely not.
Our current POTUS has a demonstrated history of questionable decision making and an absolute lack of integrity
When it comes to immigration we have a system. Flawed, but a system. Rewarding those who have violated our laws is never the answer no matter how Obama tries to sugar coat it.
Illegals deserve to have to constantly look over their shoulder. All criminals do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-09-2014, 11:57 AM
 
Location: USA
18,535 posts, read 13,674,466 times
Reputation: 12125
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
So happy someone can see the bigger picture. Our means for helping American families/citizens is being squeezed to provide for anyone who creeps across the border...not just Mexicans, but Chinese, middle east, Africans, etc. How many homeless are being helped with housing right now? Not many, but crawl into this country and you get housing vouchers, food stamps free medical. What a dream eh? This president is incapable of fixing the border and his answer was to just fly them and bus them in and then blame the GOP for the problem. Build the fence...we can still build can't we?
Exactly. I was at an section 8 type apartment building last year to pick up a car. There were the usual poor Black, White and a few spanish speakers, but what struck me was the majority of the people there had Eastern Block or Russian accents. This is a world wide issue and there really is a billion people that would break our laws to move here

Now, if we could restrict the flow of immigrants to just attractive college age females I would support whatever party backed that- Dem, Rebubs or Communist. JK
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-10-2014, 12:18 PM
 
Location: Oak Park, IL
405 posts, read 358,117 times
Reputation: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
The differences are only semantic in that ,a path to legal citizenship, work permits, and amnesty all have the same effect on the daily lives of imigrants.IMO work permits would be defacto slavery, working in America with out the protection of citizenship.
Deportation would be the best route for the protections of citizenship -- they have citizenship in their own countries, where they belong. Of course, realising that deportation isn't practical or even possible, Administrations should have put in place business death sanctions for using illegals without also using eVerify.

Instead, Republicans have tried to get blanket amnesty for this illegal taxpayer-subsidized workforce at least twice over the past 30 years. One attempt succeeded (1986) and the other failed (2007). Democrats have been more reasonable with limited amnesty (DREAM Acts) but neither is good. Focus on the businesses and the problem will solve itself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-10-2014, 12:47 PM
 
31,471 posts, read 14,559,147 times
Reputation: 8350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicket View Post
Deportation would be the best route for the protections of citizenship -- they have citizenship in their own countries, where they belong. Of course, realising that deportation isn't practical or even possible, Administrations should have put in place business death sanctions for using illegals without also using eVerify.

Instead, Republicans have tried to get blanket amnesty for this illegal taxpayer-subsidized workforce at least twice over the past 30 years. One attempt succeeded (1986) and the other failed (2007). Democrats have been more reasonable with limited amnesty (DREAM Acts) but neither is good. Focus on the businesses and the problem will solve itself.
What? It isn't the Republicans who want blanket amnesty. It is the Democrats. I agree however that the employers who hire them need to be reigned in with e-verify and stiff penalties for non-compliance. Without the job and benefit incentives most illegals will leave on their own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-10-2014, 12:52 PM
 
Location: georgia
939 posts, read 619,332 times
Reputation: 703
He's not going to do anything, and we all know it. Letting them all come in suits his agenda of socialism and wanting everyone more dependent on the gov't. He will "posture", however for the media and ignorant masses!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-10-2014, 01:16 PM
 
Location: OCEAN BREEZES AND VIEWS SAN CLEMENTE
19,899 posts, read 15,285,252 times
Reputation: 6451
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
So happy someone can see the bigger picture. Our means for helping American families/citizens is being squeezed to provide for anyone who creeps across the border...not just Mexicans, but Chinese, middle east, Africans, etc. How many homeless are being helped with housing right now? Not many, but crawl into this country and you get housing vouchers, food stamps free medical. What a dream eh? This president is incapable of fixing the border and his answer was to just fly them and bus them in and then blame the GOP for the problem. Build the fence...we can still build can't we?

I am so happy that you and others on this forum, also see the bigger picture. We have a big freaken mess on our hands. Obama sugar coats too darn much, and most of us can see thru to this.

I lost respect for this President quite a while ago, when I believe he is not a man of great Integrity. I have taped his speeches and in 09 and 0/10 he claims then that he would secure our borders and make them safe, as well as border cities. Has this happened? perhaps I should send him a copy of this tape so that he can hear himself. That he would be the one to fix this problem, now maybe I am crazy, and this problem is fixed to many of you. Not to me.


The way we are going, I feel very sorry for future generations of babies born in this Country.


I believe as you do MotleyCrew; that Obama is truly incapable of fixing the border situation. But of course his one famous line has always been, not us, them, blame the other side. I cannot stand an adult who does not accept responsibility or being held accountable to the highest standards, for his actions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-10-2014, 02:19 PM
 
Location: San Diego
32,798 posts, read 30,025,534 times
Reputation: 17687
Quote:
Originally Posted by kool hand luke View Post
He's not going to do anything, and we all know it. Letting them all come in suits his agenda of socialism and wanting everyone more dependent on the gov't. He will "posture", however for the media and ignorant masses!
Agreed. There is too much greed and want for a dirt cheap work force. You make them all Citizens it will send a message to the rest of the Planet to come replace them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-10-2014, 02:21 PM
 
Location: SF Bay Area
14,330 posts, read 19,016,992 times
Reputation: 18436
Default Absolutely

Executive action is the preferred way since Congress has been severely broken by Republican nonsense. Republicans in Congress have the sole purpose of doing anything they can to make President Obama fail, no matter how irrational and wrong their positions are. Trying to work with them has been something the President has tried to do, but they continue to be blundering imbecile obstructionists without a record of their own of success to go on. It's quite pathetic.

President Obama's actions, ideas, plans, and decisions are far, far superior than anything Republicans put forth, and his Executive Action on immigration would represent the superior position. I overwhelmingly support his decision to do so, were he to exercise it. His decisions and ideas benefit this country. Republican decisions and ideas do not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-10-2014, 03:05 PM
 
Location: Swiftwater, PA
13,131 posts, read 10,560,296 times
Reputation: 9284
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
Executive action is the preferred way since Congress has been severely broken by Republican nonsense. Republicans in Congress have the sole purpose of doing anything they can to make President Obama fail, no matter how irrational and wrong their positions are. Trying to work with them has been something the President has tried to do, but they continue to be blundering imbecile obstructionists without a record of their own of success to go on. It's quite pathetic.

President Obama's actions, ideas, plans, and decisions are far, far superior than anything Republicans put forth, and his Executive Action on immigration would represent the superior position. I overwhelmingly support his decision to do so, were he to exercise it. His decisions and ideas benefit this country. Republican decisions and ideas do not.
President Regan was the only recent President to ever grant amnesty. There is no difference in the Parties - they both march to the tune of big business and special interest. To say one party or the other is better is only ignoring the people really making the decisions and it isn't us!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top