U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 01:34 AM
Status: "Make America the Great Joke Again" (set 22 days ago)

9,059 posts, read 15,467,286 times

Advertisements

I know many friends and family, (including myself and my wife), who's parents became US citizens under the Amnesty of 1986.

Many of their children who live in Florida, NY and California have degrees and are fine American law abiding citizens, including myself (I helped my mother fill out the paperwork).

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Nothing was asked of the amnestied -- except to have some falsified papers ready -- no need to adapt or be challenged.
For these people, ensuring that their children had a chance, was challenge enough.

Last edited by Mach50; 12-18-2007 at 01:49 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2007, 05:58 AM

1,266 posts, read 2,223,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post
Since I'm pretty young and was born after the Reagen amnesty
This explains a lot.

Old 12-18-2007, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
I know many friends and family, (including myself and my wife), who's parents became US citizens under the Amnesty of 1986.
This explains a lot too.

Old 12-18-2007, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by User 2 View Post
Why is Reagan treated as a founding saint for the so-called conservatives?

His policies were disastrous, yet he's canonized and anyone who says they'll emulate him is instantly promoted as desirable.
And I bet you were born before his time as well........Need I say more

Old 12-18-2007, 06:48 AM

47,576 posts, read 58,699,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
For these people, ensuring that their children had a chance, was challenge enough.
A chance for what? It's not really as though Mexico is some Sub-Saharan nation where people are truly starving.

It was after that big 80's blanket amnesty that we saw millions of people who will never learn English and insist on having everything just like they had it back in Mexico. Spanish radio, Spanish television, teachers brought in from Mexico and so on.

Granted some of the Mexicans who arrived to get in on that big amnesty did decide to become American but overall -- they are not like the ones who came before that time, who came to fit in and were able to adapt. The whole attitude was different.

Compare them with those whose families arrived in the 1950's or 1910's for example -- very big difference.

Old 12-18-2007, 07:02 AM

902 posts, read 505,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crittersitter View Post
This explains a lot too.
I knew he was an illegal criminal lover. Oh well, they are all over this country and YES, it does explain a lot.

Old 12-18-2007, 02:39 PM

1,252 posts, read 725,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crittersitter View Post
And I bet you were born before his time as well........Need I say more
You'd have lost your bet.

Old 12-18-2007, 10:42 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,157,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozark-Baby View Post
I knew he was an illegal criminal lover. Oh well, they are all over this country and YES, it does explain a lot.

Well if one has illegals in his/her family, and he/she loves them, then they are in essence illegal lovers .

Old 12-19-2007, 09:53 AM

8,973 posts, read 14,612,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post
Well if one has illegals in his/her family, and he/she loves them, then they are in essence illegal lovers .
This is an EXCELLENT POINT. Glad it was brought up. I too, am an "illegal lover"---that is, there are people in my extended family who ONCE were illegals (many years ago). I'm also a drunk-driver lover, a default-on-a-bank-loan lover, a marijuana-possessor-lover and a go-over-the-speed-limit lover. I've had loved ones who have done ALL these things, and I love them. At the same time, all these things are illegal, and those I love have been--or COULD HAVE BEEN- prosecuted for doing these things. And it doesn't matter how much I love them, they are still breaking the law. And my love for them doesn't mean I condone their behavior, nor does it mean the laws they violated are "stupid, unfair, racist laws". It means if we ignore laws we'll eventually all end up living in "the jungle"---and then we'll REALLY see unfair, racist behavior. I'll take the "law" any day.

Old 12-19-2007, 10:33 AM

2,370 posts, read 6,854,459 times
Reagan is "canonized" by some because his tax and spend military policy helped to break the back of the USSR. His tax and spend military policies also pulled us out of the Carter era malaise of stagflation (which was not wholly Carter's fault but a long term fallout of Vietnam and OPEC supply policy, Carter merely happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time and failed miserably and doing anything about it!). Reagan was NOT a fiscal conservative and by my standard not what a Republican should be about. He totally raped and pillaged domestic agendas to fund foreign policy agendas. He was a bloated government Republican (the antithesis of true consertive Republicanism) and IMO, most of our current candidates can fairly easily be lumped right in with him. He was by no means an ineffectual president but he also wasn't the be all end all greatest thing since sliced bread. He did some good things for America but he did it at the expense of Americans.

Last edited by Stormcrow73; 12-19-2007 at 10:34 AM.. Reason: Addition
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration