U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-02-2014, 11:17 AM
 
25,060 posts, read 22,118,541 times
Reputation: 11576

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
"The only immigration reform I support is seasonal work permits"
I agree. My old GFs family had migrant workers that would come in, work the fields for the season, then head back home at the end of the season. System worked great for all.
They've been doing this since Texas joined the Republic. This is not a new phenomenon, it only became illegal since 1965 when the Immigration Act was passed. Migrant Mexicans have ALWAYS been here. The only difference is, Americans are not working the jobs they used to work at the meat packing plants 60 years ago, and there is a drop in construction as more Americans look for service oriented jobs. Illegals just didn't happen overnight and supplant legal workers, they filled a void that was created when more and more Americans started pursuing a college education for good paying white collar jobs and for trades that paid more than being mere hammer monkeys.

The problem with topics like this, it's very easy to get emotionally lost in these debates and forget the rational reasons why things are the way they are. There is only one way to solve this, and that is to use E-Verify AND raise the minimum wage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-02-2014, 11:53 AM
 
Location: Gulf Coast Texas
26,211 posts, read 14,100,551 times
Reputation: 10093
Democrats want their vote... not their work.

This is like a DoS attack in the internet world. Overrun the system with a bunch of illegal votes to hack the election results in their favor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2014, 12:02 PM
 
25,060 posts, read 22,118,541 times
Reputation: 11576
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Democrats want their vote... not their work.

This is like a DoS attack in the internet world. Overrun the system with a bunch of illegal votes to hack the election results in their favor.
Except that doesn't make sense. Why do Democrats want to wait 10+ years for votes to materialize when they can get millions, right now, by Obama signing an EO granting ALL LPRs citizenship today or tomorrow?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2014, 12:10 PM
 
Location: Gulf Coast Texas
26,211 posts, read 14,100,551 times
Reputation: 10093
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Except that doesn't make sense. Why do Democrats want to wait 10+ years for votes to materialize when they can get millions, right now, by Obama signing an EO granting ALL LPRs citizenship today or tomorrow?
Wait? Who is waiting? There has been no waiting. All the stuff going on in DC is meaningless because the people who come here illegally has been occurring for years and Obama chooses not to obey the laws he swore to uphold. They get here and states that are friendly to Democrats let them vote. Been going on for years.

Nice try...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2014, 12:25 PM
 
Location: O.C.
2,821 posts, read 2,614,211 times
Reputation: 2075
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Simply being in the country illegally is not a criminal offense, it's a civil penalty
Yes, it is a crime seeing as how they had to cross the border illegally to get here in the first place. Its a misdemeanor punishable by a fine or up to six months in prison. A second illegal entry becomes a felony punishable for up to five years in prison.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2014, 12:52 PM
 
31,520 posts, read 14,580,770 times
Reputation: 8388
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
They've been doing this since Texas joined the Republic. This is not a new phenomenon, it only became illegal since 1965 when the Immigration Act was passed. Migrant Mexicans have ALWAYS been here. The only difference is, Americans are not working the jobs they used to work at the meat packing plants 60 years ago, and there is a drop in construction as more Americans look for service oriented jobs. Illegals just didn't happen overnight and supplant legal workers, they filled a void that was created when more and more Americans started pursuing a college education for good paying white collar jobs and for trades that paid more than being mere hammer monkeys.

The problem with topics like this, it's very easy to get emotionally lost in these debates and forget the rational reasons why things are the way they are. There is only one way to solve this, and that is to use E-Verify AND raise the minimum wage.
Nope! We have always had a large blue-collared workforce and that hasn't changed. Illegals ran construction workers off their jobs among other jobs by working for less. It had nothing to do with a so-called shortage of American blue-collared workers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2014, 12:54 PM
 
31,520 posts, read 14,580,770 times
Reputation: 8388
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Except that doesn't make sense. Why do Democrats want to wait 10+ years for votes to materialize when they can get millions, right now, by Obama signing an EO granting ALL LPRs citizenship today or tomorrow?
Obama and the Democrats are pandering to ethnocentric Hispanic-American citizens right now for votes. These illegals if made citizens will just increase their voting bloc in the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2014, 12:58 PM
 
31,520 posts, read 14,580,770 times
Reputation: 8388
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
"The only immigration reform I support is seasonal work permits"
I agree. My old GFs family had migrant workers that would come in, work the fields for the season, then head back home at the end of the season. System worked great for all.
Then you aren't aware of the H-2A visas already in place for unlimited agricultural workers to come and work here? Besides, only 3% of illegal aliens are picking crops. What about the other 97%?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2014, 01:11 PM
 
Location: Oxygen Ln. AZ
9,321 posts, read 16,138,805 times
Reputation: 5685
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Then you aren't aware of the H-2A visas already in place for unlimited agricultural workers to come and work here? Besides, only 3% of illegal aliens are picking crops. What about the other 97%?
I wonder where the other 97% will work since there is very little construction, restaurants are hanging by threads, hotels have plenty of help. This is not the same USA at the turn of the century and is more a high tech country now. These are not high tech people coming in. Besides we have India to import IT people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2014, 01:13 PM
 
Location: Oxygen Ln. AZ
9,321 posts, read 16,138,805 times
Reputation: 5685
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Obama and the Democrats are pandering to ethnocentric Hispanic-American citizens right now for votes. These illegals if made citizens will just increase their voting bloc in the future.
Wouldn't it be lovely if they were smarter than the dems using them for votes and realized the liberals who encourage them to ship their unsupervised minors here are destroying jobs not creating them. Too much to hope for......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top