U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-02-2014, 01:39 PM
 
5,768 posts, read 2,964,585 times
Reputation: 5801

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Yes, but, in the meantime those jobs need to get filled. The illegals are there not because employers are deliberately not hiring Americans or LPRs, but because those with work authorization don't want to work there. E-verify alone is not going to make Americans and LPRs want to work there, which is the reason why illegals are there. That beef and chicken you buy at the grocery store is not going to get processed and packed itself. It's all nice to start yelling E-Verify until we're blue in the face, but it's still not addressing the root cause of the problem
All able bodied welfare recipients should be made to take those jobs instead of illegals. It puts the work ethic back in that entitlement culture, and you know the welfare numbers would drop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-02-2014, 01:42 PM
 
Location: San Diego, CA
10,584 posts, read 7,971,082 times
Reputation: 4146
Many more details and pics on this event can be seen here:

MURRIETA: Protesters turn away migrant convoy at Border Patrol station

BTW, another group of illegal aliens are scheduled to be shipped from Texas to Murrieta Friday, July 4, 2014.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2014, 01:52 PM
 
Location: North Texas
23,613 posts, read 31,177,547 times
Reputation: 26678
So we're assisting thieves and lawbreakers now? This is not the America I grew up in. This is DISGRACEFUL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2014, 02:11 PM
 
Location: Gulf Coast Texas
26,225 posts, read 14,109,783 times
Reputation: 10096
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
So we're assisting thieves and lawbreakers now? This is not the America I grew up in. This is DISGRACEFUL.
Amen.

WRITE your Congresspeople. Not e-mail - WRITE, ENVELOPE, STAMP.

CALLING is even better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2014, 02:37 PM
 
Location: East of the Mississippi and South of Bluegrass
4,114 posts, read 3,395,931 times
Reputation: 8677
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
I agree with you; Murrieta, is a pretty nice place, terrible I have a friend who has a half a million dollar home there, custom on 2 acres. She is **** to hell right now.

Your close to Temecula wine country, and about a little over hour to S.D.

I call the LAMESTREAM MEDIA, LAMESTREAM HOLLYWOOD CELEBRITIES, LAKESTREAM NITE TIME TALK SHOW HOSTS, AND every one whose stance is for illegal immigration, ANTI AMERICAN PERIOD.

Time to stand up for our own, our poor, our homeless, our vets, need to take care of our own, because no other Country, gives a flying hoot about us. They only have their hands out to us in a time of need, then they need us.

Mexico is laughing their azz at us, think they would do with Americans, what we do with their Citizens, who come here illegally. We are fools, and getting mighty stupid by the minute. I do not live close to Murrieta, but it is a nice town, good for the citizens making their voices heard, maybe even our friends.

Americans cannot just afford to sit back, for the sake of their children, and grandchildren, and future generations to come, we have got to make our voices heard all over. Is there a way there can be one day where every State is vocal on this issue.
I don't know why a physical letter is better but an address sure 'helps'.

Write a letter to the President

Here are a few simple things you can do to make sure your message gets to the White House as quickly as possible.
  1. If possible, email us from your computer at http://www.whitehouse.gov/contact. This is the fastest way to get your message to President Obama.
  2. If you write a letter, please consider typing it on an 8 1/2 by 11 inch sheet of paper. If you hand-write your letter, please consider using pen and writing as neatly as possible
  3. Please include your return address on your letter as well as your envelope. If you have an email address, please consider including that as well.
  4. And finally, be sure to include the full address of the White House to make sure your message gets to us as quickly and directly as possible:
The White House
1600 Pennsylvania Avenue NW
Washington, DC 20500

Call the White House
Comments: 202-456-1111 (TTY/TTD: 202-456-6213)
Switchboard: 202-456-1414
Visitor's Office: 202-456-2121

Obama Vows to Unilaterally Change as Many Immigration Laws as He Can/30 Jun 2014

With thousands of illegal immigrant children – some of whom may belong to dangerous gangs – flooding across the border and possibly bringing contagious diseases with them, President Barack Obama on Monday vowed to change as many of the country's immigrations laws as possible on his own.

Obama Vows to Unilaterally Change as Many Immigration Laws as He Can

For what it's worth, I send emails in regards to issues that I think are important and I have always received an email in return, acknowledging my email and 'what" is being done to address the issue I am concerned about. I am always satisfied with the response...no, but my concerns have always be acknowledged with a return email.

I'm not a celebrity, I'm not a 'big' Corporate, Wall Street, or PAC contributor so obviously there are no 'contributions' I can make to a particular interest or party. But I do take satisfaction in at least voicing my concerns.

Every American is entitled to do the same...how much time would it take? More importantly, isn't it worth it to at least be 'heard'?

Contact the White House

President Obama is committed to creating the most open and accessible administration in American history. To send questions, comments, concerns, or well-wishes to the President or his staff, please use the form below.

Submit Questions & Comments | The White House

Last edited by HomeIsWhere...; 07-02-2014 at 02:46 PM.. Reason: Edit to add WH mailing address
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2014, 03:40 PM
 
25,060 posts, read 22,127,548 times
Reputation: 11576
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
All able bodied welfare recipients should be made to take those jobs instead of illegals. It puts the work ethic back in that entitlement culture, and you know the welfare numbers would drop.
You can't make people work that aren't in prison (even then I don't think you can do forced labor anymore). Outlawed that with the Emancipation Proclamation. You can incentivize them to work, but you can't force them. If the pay sucks for such hard work, they are still not going to do it. Raise the minimum wage and Americans will want to do those jobs again

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
So we're assisting thieves and lawbreakers now? This is not the America I grew up in. This is DISGRACEFUL.
Yes, this is not the America you grew up in. The America you grew up in valued hard work with good pay. The America today does not do that. Too many people taking the advice of "hardworking" conservatives and getting "marketable skills". So many, in fact, that now it's looked down upon doing those dirty jobs that have had stagnant pay for a long time. So, now illegals are filling the void, because these jobs do not qualify for H1B visas.

Come on BigDGeek, I know you're more reasonable than this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2014, 05:31 PM
 
31,581 posts, read 14,599,205 times
Reputation: 8418
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
You can't make people work that aren't in prison (even then I don't think you can do forced labor anymore). Outlawed that with the Emancipation Proclamation. You can incentivize them to work, but you can't force them. If the pay sucks for such hard work, they are still not going to do it. Raise the minimum wage and Americans will want to do those jobs again



Yes, this is not the America you grew up in. The America you grew up in valued hard work with good pay. The America today does not do that. Too many people taking the advice of "hardworking" conservatives and getting "marketable skills". So many, in fact, that now it's looked down upon doing those dirty jobs that have had stagnant pay for a long time. So, now illegals are filling the void, because these jobs do not qualify for H1B visas.

Come on BigDGeek, I know you're more reasonable than this.
If it is a requirement that a welfare recipient work to compensate for his benefits or he/she will lose them you can't tell me that they will refuse to do so.

Construction used to pay double what it does now. What happened? It's not that those workers didn't want to do those jobs any more it's that illegals came along and out priced them in the labor market. Not everyone is cut out for a desk or high tech job. Many Americans prefer blue-collared jobs and that hasn't changed. Some of those jobs illegals are holding are jobs that were entry level jobs for our American youth. It was spending money for them. I think you are the one not being reasonable by denying what you know is true and your veiled attempts to justify these illegals being here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2014, 05:40 PM
 
25,060 posts, read 22,127,548 times
Reputation: 11576
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
If it is a requirement that a welfare recipient work to compensate for his benefits or he/she will lose them you can't tell me that they will refuse to do so.

Construction used to pay double what it does now. What happened? It's not that those workers didn't want to do those jobs any more it's that illegals came along and out priced them in the labor market. Not everyone is cut out for a desk or high tech job. Many Americans prefer blue-collared jobs and that hasn't changed. Some of those jobs illegals are holding are jobs that were entry level jobs for our American youth. It was spending money for them. I think you are the one not being reasonable by denying what you know is true and your veiled attempts to justify these illegals being here.
Actually, I think your utter hatred of illegals blinds you to see any reason beyond the emotional sphere. The way you rant and rave about illegals (and Hispanics, in general) day in and day out on C-D leads me to the logical conclusion that your opposition to illegal immigration is driven by emotion and not rationality.

And, you're wrong. Many Americans don't prefer blue collar jobs, they prefer jobs that get the best pay for the least amount of work. A lot of these blue collar jobs have high turnover because they are stressful, and don't pay enough according to most Americans. If construction jobs paid so well, why aren't Americans working in them? If the job pays good enough, and the benefits are good, then Americans will want a piece of the action, look at oil drilling for cripe's sake.

Employers did not suddenly start firing or laying off Americans in favor of illegals. No, that process started the opposite; Americans left those jobs to pursue better paying blue or white collar jobs, leaving the grunt work side of things open. Illegals are filling a void Americans left behind, not the other way around. Heck, we're being overrun by illegals in Puerto Rico, too; for the same reason the rest of the country is; no American wants to do the hard work in PR so the illegal Dominicans jump in like crows
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2014, 05:47 PM
 
3,216 posts, read 1,768,221 times
Reputation: 1215
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Actually, I think your utter hatred of illegals blinds you to see any reason beyond the emotional sphere. The way you rant and rave about illegals (and Hispanics, in general) day in and day out on C-D leads me to the logical conclusion that your opposition to illegal immigration is driven by emotion and not rationality.

And, you're wrong. Many Americans don't prefer blue collar jobs, they prefer jobs that get the best pay for the least amount of work. A lot of these blue collar jobs have high turnover because they are stressful, and don't pay enough according to most Americans. If construction jobs paid so well, why aren't Americans working in them? If the job pays good enough, and the benefits are good, then Americans will want a piece of the action, look at oil drilling for cripe's sake.

Employers did not suddenly start firing or laying off Americans in favor of illegals. No, that process started the opposite; Americans left those jobs to pursue better paying blue or white collar jobs, leaving the grunt work side of things open. Illegals are filling a void Americans left behind, not the other way around
Construction jobs paid quite well until contractors started hiring illegals. And please don't come back with I don't know what I'm talking about, I'm married to a carpenter. The illegals work for practically nothing, often with sub par results. Illegals are not filling a void in construction, they pushed many qualified blue collar workers out.

Last edited by toryturner; 07-02-2014 at 06:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2014, 06:10 PM
 
20,611 posts, read 12,296,542 times
Reputation: 5895
Quote:
Originally Posted by toryturner View Post
Construction jobs paid quite well until contractors started hiring illegals. And please don't come back with I don't know what I'm talking about, I'm married to a carpenter. They work for practically nothing, often with sub par results. Illegals are not filling a void in construction, they pushed many qualified blue collar workers out.
Agreed and how!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top