U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2014, 06:24 PM

8,193 posts, read 4,479,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Let the children stay right here. That's what i'd do. This should be their new home.
i would throw them over the fence in a heart beat, instead of flying them from texas to california, why not fly them from texas to mexico city.

they broke the law.

Old 07-03-2014, 06:27 PM

24,843 posts, read 31,300,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
i would throw them over the fence in a heart beat, instead of flying them from texas to california, why not fly them from texas to mexico city.

they broke the law.
Yes......make it Mexico's problem.....in time they will stop it at their southern border.

Old 07-03-2014, 06:51 PM

8,623 posts, read 5,907,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Somebody has to pick the tomatoes. The argument about Americans not wanting those jobs is BS becsue the wage will increase until someone takes the job. Now they are involved in taking jobs in all kinds of industries like really good paying jobs in the construction industry. Certainly the companies hiring them are partly to blame but on the other hand they need to do that to stay competitive.
I know too many people in the construction business and the days of journeymen craftsmen are gone. Unless offered by a union, the notion of apprenticeship is gone. The unskilled illegals have basically taken over the trades and made a mockery of it. Go visit a construction job site and see who is working. Another thing to ponder...why do so many illegals hang out at HD or Lowes hoping for someone looking for a day laborer? I saw dozens of them the past week and I recognized a few each day - I think people are wising up and not hiring them.

Old 07-03-2014, 07:04 PM

20,847 posts, read 41,585,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
I know too many people in the construction business and the days of journeymen craftsmen are gone. Unless offered by a union, the notion of apprenticeship is gone. The unskilled illegals have basically taken over the trades and made a mockery of it. Go visit a construction job site and see who is working. Another thing to ponder...why do so many illegals hang out at HD or Lowes hoping for someone looking for a day laborer? I saw dozens of them the past week and I recognized a few each day - I think people are wising up and not hiring them.
Along that line, fourteen years ago I had new roof put on my house. All white crew, long-time, professional roofers, did a great job all around. Wasn't cheap, but I was very pleased. And, of course, they ALL spoke English. It was a pleasure having these guys around.

Same roofing company then did my neighbors house about seven years later (2009) . Crew at that time was now Hispanic, which disturbed me a lot.

Two years after that (2011) the shingle on my house failed. Shingle manufacturer prorated part of the roof replacement. I called the original roofing company anyway because I had confidence in them. Their bid $7,500 - because they had to plug in their field rep's commission. Called another company - bid $6,000. Exact same materials for both bids. Both crews now Hispanic. Guess which one I chose. Of course, this time there was only ONE English-speaking Hispanic in the bunch. No white guys at all. So, I couldn't talk to any of them.

I would have happily paid more for an American crew, but there was no way I was willing to pay top dollar when I knew both crews were illegals (I assume). Guess I could have kept interviewing until I found a local crew, but the unexpected roof failure had me pretty upset.

I was very disappointed that this long-time company with a stellar reputation had devolved to hiring non-English speaking people. Same is also true of a reputable local landscaper. Their crews don't speak English anymore, either. Did work at my neighbor's house - and took out the wrong bush.

Sickening.

Old 07-03-2014, 07:06 PM

11,571 posts, read 5,541,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
How is that a personal attack? It's a valid question. Anyone advocating letting the illegals stay should be prepared to support them with their personal finances and take them into their homes.
Thank you, Mike930. If I could rep you again, I would!

Old 07-03-2014, 07:10 PM

11,571 posts, read 5,541,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Along that line, fourteen years ago I had new roof put on my house. All white crew, long-time, professional roofers, did a great job all around. Wasn't cheap, but I was very pleased. And, of course, they ALL spoke English. It was a pleasure having these guys around.

Same roofing company then did my neighbors house about seven years later (2009) . Crew at that time was now Hispanic, which disturbed me a lot.

Two years after that (2011) the shingle on my house failed. Shingle manufacturer prorated part of the roof replacement. I called the original roofing company anyway because I had confidence in them. Their bid $7,500 - because they had to plug in their field rep's commission. Called another company - bid $6,000. Exact same materials for both bids. Both crews now Hispanic. Guess which one I chose. Of course, this time there was only ONE English-speaking workmen in the bunch. So, I couldn't talk to any of them.

I would have happily paid more for an American crew, but there was no way I was willing to pay top dollar when I knew both crews were illegals (I assume). Guess I could have kept interviewing until I found a local crew, but the unexpected roof failure had me pretty upset.

I was very disappointed that this long-time company with a stellar reputation had devolved to hiring non-English speaking people. Same is also true of a reputable local landscaper. Their crews don't speak English anymore, either. Did work at my neighbor's house - and took out the wrong bush.

Sickening.
^Spot on!

Our roof is aging and will need to be replaced sooner rather than later. We face the same problems that you did. I'm starting to look around for a company that won't hire illegals. When we hire companies to do work at our home, I always ask about their employees. If they use illegals, they won't get our money.

Our driveway needed repaving and we heard about a company that was supposed to be good. One of the owners came by and my husband asked her if they used E-verify. She didn't even know what it was and he had to explain it to her. She then promised to call us up with a quote. Well...surprise! surprise! We never heard from her again!

Old 07-03-2014, 07:12 PM

20,847 posts, read 41,585,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
Along that line, in 2002 I had new roof put on my house - complete tear-off. All white crew, professional roofers, did a great job all around. Wasn't cheap, but I was very pleased. And, of course, they ALL spoke English.

Same roofing company then did my neighbors house about seven years later. Crew at that time was now Hispanic, which disturbed me a lot.

Two years later in 2011 the shingle on my house failed. Shingle manufacturer prorated part of the roof replacement. I called the original roofing company anyway because I had confidence in them. Their bid $7,500 - because they had to plug in their field rep's commission. Called another company - bid $6,000. Exact same materials for both bids. Both crews now Hispanic. Guess which one I chose. Of course, this time there was only ONE English-speaking Hispanic workman in the bunch. Most of them looked very primitive. I couldn't talk to any of them.

Illegals are everywhere - even up here where it snows.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 07-03-2014 at 08:16 PM..

Old 07-03-2014, 07:22 PM

9,897 posts, read 6,603,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post

We came because it was our opportunity to survive

Opinion: Like those children, I fled Central America - CNN.com
How exactly do they plan on surviving here? Exactly how do they plan on making a living?
Be specific.

Old 07-03-2014, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
Enforce the laws over hiring illegals will be a great help.
The only thing you have posted which makes sense.

Old 07-03-2014, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftymh View Post
No need for that. Just turn their asses around and they can walk back to Central America like Frodo Baggins. They got here, they can get back.

This make the entire thread bearable.

Too bad it couldn't be Frodo freaking Baggins...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or