U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2014, 06:39 PM

8,623 posts, read 5,894,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
A good opinion piece. Read it.

Opinion: The right fate for immigrant kids - CNN.com

It's time to get beyond the question of who's to blame for the crisis along the U.S.-Mexico border, where tens of thousands of children -- three-fourths of them from Honduras, Guatemala, or El Salvador -- are streaming into the United States and overwhelming our border enforcement apparatus.

We have to focus on workable solutions and skip half-baked ideas that make the problem worse.

Unfortunately, neither President Obama nor congressional Republicans are bringing their A-game.

Rep. Darrell Issa, R-California, is demanding that Obama end the program known as Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals, which lets young undocumented immigrants who were brought here as children avoid deportation and apply for a work permit, and which Issa claims -- with no evidence to back it up -- is responsible for the flood of children across the border.

Never mind that none of the children now crossing into the country is eligible for DACA, because anyone who enters the country after June 15, 2007, does not qualify for the program. Never mind that, if DACA were to blame for the influx, it would have happened two years ago.

Never mind that the real reason so many of these kids have been turned over to family members in the United States while awaiting a court date isn't DACA. It's because of a longstanding but unspoken policy by the Border Patrol to treat unaccompanied minors differently from adults -- and a 2008 law signed by President George W. Bush that prohibits Border Patrol agents from sending them back across the border. It instead requires that they be handed over to the Department of Health and Human Services until they can be placed in the custody of a relative.

Why lump Republican congress member in with the dummy in chief? Aren't democrats equally responsible for anything or are they perfect saints sitting on their unsoiled hands?
Naive isn't a strong enough word.

Old 07-03-2014, 06:42 PM

8,623 posts, read 5,894,991 times
Quote:

I have answered your question. I don't know. It is illegal to send kids back that get here.
Where is it enumerated in the Constitution?

Old 07-03-2014, 07:11 PM

23,599 posts, read 31,152,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Along that line, fourteen years ago I had new roof put on my house. All white crew, long-time, professional roofers, did a great job all around. Wasn't cheap, but I was very pleased. And, of course, they ALL spoke English. It was a pleasure having these guys around.

Same roofing company then did my neighbors house about seven years later (2009) . Crew at that time was now Hispanic, which disturbed me a lot.

Two years after that (2011) the shingle on my house failed. Shingle manufacturer prorated part of the roof replacement. I called the original roofing company anyway because I had confidence in them. Their bid $7,500 - because they had to plug in their field rep's commission. Called another company - bid $6,000. Exact same materials for both bids. Both crews now Hispanic. Guess which one I chose. Of course, this time there was only ONE English-speaking Hispanic in the bunch. No white guys at all. So, I couldn't talk to any of them.

I would have happily paid more for an American crew, but there was no way I was willing to pay top dollar when I knew both crews were illegals (I assume). Guess I could have kept interviewing until I found a local crew, but the unexpected roof failure had me pretty upset.

I was very disappointed that this long-time company with a stellar reputation had devolved to hiring non-English speaking people. Same is also true of a reputable local landscaper. Their crews don't speak English anymore, either. Did work at my neighbor's house - and took out the wrong bush.

Sickening.
You should see the crews Oncor sends to butcher our trees in order to "protect" power lines. They're always solely Spanish-speaking and leave litter in peoples' yards. One time I came home and these ninnies were blocking the alley with their truck, so I went around the block and parked in my driveway from the other alley entrance. I noticed that there was trash stuck in one of my trees where the trunk split (it's a Texas live oak) so I went over and confronted the crew. They put their hands up and pretended not to speak English, so I asked them in Spanish whose trash that was. They admitted it was theirs and told me I had to clean it up, and called me a bad name. I walked over to the tree, grabbed the fast food bag they'd left on my tree, and threw it into their truck through an open window. I then snapped a picture of the truck, capturing the license plate number and company name, flipped them the bird, and went inside.

I forwarded a picture of the truck to Oncor complaining about the litter and the behavior of the crew. Unsurprisingly, they never responded.

Old 07-03-2014, 07:12 PM

8,102 posts, read 4,451,704 times
i work contraction, I see a lot of spanish, they are damn good worker and i like them, i wish we could keep them, but they broke the law. it has nothing to do with who they are but how they got here.

its really more along the lines that the government won't do anything about it

Old 07-03-2014, 07:13 PM

47,316 posts, read 24,627,956 times
Quote:
No - YOU are NOT willing to pay. You want to destroy this country and use OTHER PEOPLE'S MONEY TO DO IT.

What about YOU - personally??? Forget about America. Let's talk about YOU. America taking these people in has no immediate effect on YOU - easy for YOU to talk.

How about YOU move to AZ, TX, or Southern CA - and help these invaders - PERSONALLY. YOU DO IT.

My German Ancesters immigrated legally.

This is ILLEGAL and we need to stop it. Now.
I've lived in Arizona all of my life for the most part.

And I don't know if your ancestors came over legally or not. They did however, come here while being German.

Sooooooo.....

Old 07-03-2014, 07:14 PM

16,703 posts, read 8,643,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
its really more along the lines that the Democrats won't do anything about it
Fixed for you.

Old 07-03-2014, 07:22 PM

20,804 posts, read 41,455,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
And I don't know if your ancestors came over legally or not. They did however, come here while being German.

Sooooooo.....
Soooooo....... you are intentionally insisting on not addressing the issue.

Back in the 1890s, people were not coming here on boats from Germany and entering this country illegally - and YOU KNOW IT.

By the way, WHEN ARE YOU LEAVING FOR THE BORDER TO WELCOME YOUR NEW FAMILY???? Better brush up on your Spanish - or are you already fluent in Spanish and anxiously awaiting your houseguests??

Old 07-03-2014, 08:03 PM

183 posts, read 157,890 times
Quote:
Soooooo....... you are intentionally insisting on not addressing the issue.

Back in the 1890s, people were not coming here on boats from Germany and entering this country illegally - and YOU KNOW IT.

By the way, WHEN ARE YOU LEAVING FOR THE BORDER TO WELCOME YOUR NEW FAMILY???? Better brush up on your Spanish - or are you already fluent in Spanish and anxiously awaiting your houseguests??
Also back in the 1890's, there was no such thing as welfare, social security, food stamps, medicare, anchor babies, free medical care for illegal aliens, etc.

Would all of the pro-illegal immigration advocates be ok if the illegal aliens sneaking into our country today got no financial support what so ever from America ?

Old 07-03-2014, 08:40 PM

877 posts, read 1,026,050 times
Statistically, African and Asian students in America have higher high school and college graduation rates. They often go into the medical and/or engineering fields. And many of these same students come from countries such as the Philippines, Democratic Republic of Congo, Nigeria, Cambodia, Vietnam or India.

While the education system over there is rigorous, there is a major lack of social mobility in those countries. The countries are war ridden, poverty stricken and filled with political corruption.

So why are we not allowing them to flood into the US?

Why is Mexico allowed to have and enforce immigration laws, but when the US does it, it's all of a sudden inhumane, racist, ignorant and greedy?

The US can barely provide for and take care of its own citizens. I'm not sure why any American would recommend that the US government put forth more consideration into caring for illegal aliens versus their own citizens.

By the way, those referring to America as your home. Yes, it's the country you live within, but you certainly do not speak for the other 300 million folks who call it home. You can invite them into your own personal home and spend YOUR own money on them, but don't try to control how others spend their money.

Old 07-03-2014, 10:28 PM

5,906 posts, read 6,354,513 times
Quote:
I would gladly pay an additional $50.00 per month in taxes to help them out. No need for them to go to anyone's homes at all. Turn those Fema camps into housing and schools for them.
You and the few supporters on the board will need to kick in tens of millions a month and not the 50 bucks you offer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or