U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2014, 05:13 PM

20,611 posts, read 12,278,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by toryturner View Post
By the time of the Great Famine; and the huge migration to America, most of the Irish spoke English.
Agreed. Gaelic was almost dead by the 1840's when "we" came to the US, legally.

Old 07-05-2014, 05:14 PM

3,147 posts, read 2,811,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toryturner View Post
By the time of the Great Famine; and the huge migration to America, most of the Irish spoke English.
Barely.

Quote:
Irish immigration to America: the famine years

The arrival of destitute and desperate Catholics, many of whom spoke only Irish or a smattering of English, played out very differently. Suspicious of the majority Anglo-American-Protestants (a historically-based trait that was reciprocated), and limited by a language barrier, illiteracy and lack of skills, this wave of Irish immigrants sought refuge among their own kind. - See more at: http://www.irish-genealogy-toolkit.c....fBLDP6tr.dpuf
Regardless, it is a cherry-picked point... have ALL of the immigrants that successfully assimilated spoke English before arriving here? No. I would be surprised if it was a majority.

So even if the Irish did, it doesn't negate the point about assimilation at all.

Old 07-05-2014, 05:17 PM

20,611 posts, read 12,278,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander_Crews View Post
Barely.

Regardless, it is a cherry-picked point... have ALL of the immigrants that successfully assimilated spoke English before arriving here? No. I would be surprised if it was a majority.

So even if the Irish did, it doesn't negate the point about assimilation at all.
No deflecting please: YOU said most Irish did NOT speak English and you were proved wrong. The Irish ain't "all immigrants".

Old 07-05-2014, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
No deflecting please: YOU said most Irish did NOT speak English and you were proved wrong. The Irish ain't "all immigrants".
Ugh, you can't read can you. I debunked your claim already and I NEVER said that the Irish were "all immigrants."

HA HA HA, do you even look at what you are responding to before you reply?

Let me get the truth for you, AGAIN:

Quote:
Irish immigration to America: the famine years

The arrival of destitute and desperate Catholics, many of whom spoke only Irish or a smattering of English, played out very differently. Suspicious of the majority Anglo-American-Protestants (a historically-based trait that was reciprocated), and limited by a language barrier, illiteracy and lack of skills, this wave of Irish immigrants sought refuge among their own kind.

Regardless, the point was brought up to debunk that Latinos are capable of assimilation, and failed in a horrible manner.

Old 07-05-2014, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Like I said: I don't believe a thing you say. Anybody can be anything on an Internet Forum.
Not my problem, you are still denying reality no matter how good your excuse is. Either way, you can't pretend that Milton Friedman was not EXTREMELY well educated in economics, and his position is the same as mine.

Quote:
Too; some of the stuff you say is anarchy, period. That kind of stuff WILL set off riots and so on. Maybe you like anarchy, I don't.
OOh, conclusive proof that you don't know what the word anarchy means. Open borders and a lack of welfare do NOT translate to "without rulers."

Old 07-05-2014, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
You do not know me.....or, know that I have family and own land in Honduras......and also a X-sister-in-law that lives in Little Havana.

I go to Honduras most years......and my X-sister-in-law has visited me many times.

I see how her life would be much better if she would assimilate into our way of doing things......she just will not try.

She say she is fine......and she is....as long as she stays in her area.
Yeah, and one person defines a whole race/culture. If you are a white American you are a terrorist because Timothy McVeigh.

Old 07-05-2014, 05:33 PM

Quote:
The Irish came here legally and we had to "pay our dues". It is what it is.
If by "pay our dues" and "came here legally" you mean nothing more than showing up at Ellis Island, you are correct.

They did NOT have to go through NEAR the trouble you give people who want to become citizens go through today.

Old 07-05-2014, 06:24 PM

11,473 posts, read 5,504,092 times
Xander --- India has a population of over 1 billion people and not enough potable water, yet they are third world. Think about it.

After all, that's what you're pushing for this country.

I don't believe that you have a economics degree, let alone from an Ivy league school. You won't even tell us which Ivy you went to. What are you afraid of?

Oh, and no need to respond.

Old 07-05-2014, 06:36 PM

3,216 posts, read 1,766,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander_Crews View Post
Barely.

The Irish didn't get interpreters. They didn't have voting materials provided in a language other than English. They didn't eventually have their own broadcasting stations for radio and television. In other words; they, along with every other immigrant group HAD to assimilate. They were not coddled. And they were stronger because of it.

Old 07-05-2014, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Xander --- India has a population of over 1 billion people and not enough potable water, yet they are third world. Think about it.
NO relevance to this discussion. We aren't speaking about India, and the population difference is NOT the only difference.

Quote:
After all, that's what you're pushing for this country.
Nope, you just don't understand economics.

Quote:
I don't believe that you have a economics degree, let alone from an Ivy league school. You won't even tell us which Ivy you went to. What are you afraid of?
You wouldn't believe me anyway, and I don't give out personal information online. I have seen mods give infractions to people demanding such information.

You ignore the fact that a HIGHLY decorated economists WITH an already verified education thinks you argument is dumb.

Quote:
Oh, and no need to respond.
I don't fee a need. Just having fun exposing your ignorance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or