U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2014, 06:59 PM

3,147 posts, read 2,934,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by toryturner View Post
Not at all, but people in the past had to learn English quickly. That is not necessary now because concessions are made for Spanish speakers, even after they become fluent they have too many opportunities to function totally in their first language.
Who cares if they have opportunities to use their first language? Especially if they are fluent in English?

Most early immigrants were dirt poor, unskilled, and PLENTY didn't know English. 75% of Latino immigrants already speak English, and 87% of Latino's polled said it is "Very important" to succeeding in the U.S.

Old 07-05-2014, 07:02 PM

3,216 posts, read 1,852,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander_Crews View Post
Got any verifiable evidence to that, I have some to the contrary:

When Labels Don’t Fit: Hispanics and Their Views of Identity
In California you will often hear Hispanic parents speaking to their children in Spanish and then switching to English while performing a transaction then switching right back to Spanish. Bilingual education is a way of life here costing millions. If you want to call that assimilating, that is your prerogative.

Old 07-05-2014, 07:06 PM

Quote:
In California you will often hear Hispanic parents speaking to their children in Spanish and then switching to English while performing a transaction then switching right back to Spanish. Bilingual education is a way of life here costing millions. If you want to call that assimilating, that is your prerogative.
They speak English for their transactions, who the heck are you to say what language they should speak privately?

I learned Finnish and some Gaelic just for fun, if I meet someone that can speak either, I seize the opportunity to speak to them in those languages... what is the problem?

You do know that second generation Latino immigrants are, by VERY high percentages, primarily English speaking, right?

I don't believe that people should have money taken from them by force to pay for other peoples' kids' educations, or schools they don't believe in. Again, open borders would work best with small-government. The problem isn't with immigrants, it is with forcing tax-payers to fund the education of others against their will.

Old 07-05-2014, 07:10 PM

3,216 posts, read 1,852,353 times
Quote:
They speak English for their transactions, who the heck are you to say what language they should speak privately?

I learned Finnish and some Gaelic just for fun, if I meet someone that can speak either, I seize the opportunity to speak to them in those languages... what is the problem?

You do know that second generation Latino immigrants are, by VERY high percentages, primarily English speaking, right?

I don't believe that people should have money taken from them by force to pay for other peoples' kids' educations, or ones they don't believe in. Again, open borders would work best with small-government. The problem isn't with immigrants, it is with forcing tax-payers to fund the education of others against their will.
I am no one to say what language should be spoken in private. If they choose to speak Spanish in public that is their choice also, but if that invites comments from other immigrants or the descendents of immigrants, that is also true.

Old 07-05-2014, 07:13 PM

24,843 posts, read 32,325,675 times
The best way to learn English is to have no choice and no help.

My X learned VERY fast.

Old 07-05-2014, 07:13 PM

8,088 posts, read 7,715,959 times
I wrote what I wrote and no more. If you do not understand then too bad for you.

Old 07-05-2014, 07:14 PM

Quote:
I am no one to say what language should be spoken in private. If they choose to speak Spanish in public that is their choice also, but if that invites comments from other immigrants or the descendents of immigrants, that is also true.
I said private conversations, not IN private. Who cares what language they use IN PUBLIC in a private conversation? I couldn't give a crap if they were speaking in something they completely made up, it is THEIR conversation.

A good majority of immigrants speak English, period. Who cares if half of them have the ability to speak another language as well?

Old 07-05-2014, 07:19 PM

2,721 posts, read 1,756,884 times
Quote:
I said private conversations, not IN private. Who cares what language they use IN PUBLIC in a private conversation? I couldn't give a crap if they were speaking in something they completely made up, it is THEIR conversation.

A good majority of immigrants speak English, period. Who cares if half of them have the ability to speak another language as well?
In my experience the parents speak no English and the children have to translate for them. However, that's only my experience. I deal with a large number of Spanish speaking people in my line of work.

Old 07-05-2014, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
In my experience the parents speak no English and the children have to translate for them. However, that's only my experience. I deal with a large number of Spanish speaking people in my line of work.
There are hard numbers. 51% of Latino immigrants speak English as their first language, and 24% are bilingual. That means 75% speak English.

According to a 2012 Pew study, 92 percent of second-generation Latino immigrants speak English “very well” with 82 percent being bilingual. By the third-generation, 96 percent of Latino immigrants are speaking English.

Old 07-05-2014, 07:23 PM

24,843 posts, read 32,325,675 times
Quote:
There are hard numbers. 51% of Latino immigrants speak English as their first language, and 24% are bilingual. That means 75% speak English.

According to a 2012 Pew study, 92 percent of second-generation Latino immigrants speak English “very well” with 82 percent being bilingual. By the third-generation, 96 percent of Latino immigrants are speaking English.
Do you have any links???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or