U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2014, 08:47 PM

1,263 posts, read 1,218,628 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
If anything we should be kicking people OUT, not bringing them IN.
THIS kind of attitude is entirely what is WRONG with America.

Old 07-05-2014, 08:48 PM

3,147 posts, read 2,812,536 times
Latinos Learn English Faster Than Previous Immigrants, Study Finds

I know it isn't un-backed anecdotes or un-backed personal opinion... but....

This study from U of W and Columbia University shows that DESPITE having more Spanish speaking options in the U.S.A., that Latinos learn English FASTER than the immigrants of the past.

Last edited by Xander_Crews; 07-05-2014 at 09:13 PM..

Old 07-05-2014, 08:49 PM

23,599 posts, read 31,143,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander_Crews View Post
I would just like to point out to the readers that these people are NOT citing sources for their OPINIONS.

75% of first generation immigrants speak English
92% of second generation immigrants speak English
96% of third generation immigrants speak English.

These anecdotes being told DO NOT MATTER in the face of studies and polls that reveal that the contrary is true.
All of those numbers should be higher.

My parents are second generation. They speak English.

I'm third generation. I speak English.

My grandparents all spoke/speak English. (And they didn't come from English-speaking countries.)

Old 07-05-2014, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
All of those numbers should be higher.
Uh, they are higher than they were for Germans in the 19th century when they were coming over....

Quote:
My parents are second generation. They speak English.
So do 9 out of 10 second generation immigrants today...

Quote:
I'm third generation. I speak English.
Along with OVER 95% of immigrants today.

Quote:
My grandparents all spoke/speak English. (And they didn't come from English-speaking countries.)
So do three quarters of first generation immigrants today. Today's immigrants start using English FASTER than the immigrants of the past did.

Old 07-05-2014, 09:06 PM

5,368 posts, read 5,718,074 times
the question is whether the united states should flood the country with immigrants or should it be more strict about immigration

the question isnt whether immigrants are willing to work for less, the question is whether the immigrant should be in the country in the first place

Old 07-05-2014, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
the question is whether the united states should flood the country with immigrants or should it be more strict about immigration

the question isnt whether immigrants are willing to work for less, the question is whether the immigrant should be in the country in the first place
If you want a red hot economy the answer is yes, IF you end the welfare state.

Old 07-05-2014, 09:10 PM

19,899 posts, read 15,287,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
What's really bad these days is all the bilingual signs. When you think about it, it's being done for illegal aliens.

My father was born in Puerto Rico and his parents brought him to New York when he was a child. He told me how he started school not knowing English. In his class, were other kids whose parents were European immigrants but were in the same boat as my father. My father told me that by the end of the school year, they all spoke English. This was before there was bilingual education. As my father put it, we all knew that we needed to learn English if we were to survive.

These days when you call a company, you hear "para Espanol oprime dos". My father says that this has no place in our country. Even though Spanish is his first language, he refuses to "oprime dos".

When Puerto Ricans started moving to the Mainland, nobody put up signs in Spanish for them---and they are American citizens. It's galling that we are doing this for illegals. Even worse, many of those illegals are illiterate and can't even read the Spanish signs

Great points well taken, and well said.

Old 07-05-2014, 09:27 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,169,606 times
I live in a suburb south of Seattle, and I've seen first hand what it has brought to date. I just drove through my local park, filled with thousands of hispanics. Not one white person. People just hanging out of their cars drinking cervezas and smoking, oggling passersby, kids just running through the parking lot unsupervised. WOW!

Old 07-05-2014, 09:56 PM

246 posts, read 274,065 times
Come to the country legally or just **** off.

USA is going to turn into third world cesspool like Central America at this rate.

Old 07-05-2014, 09:58 PM

11,487 posts, read 5,507,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pantin23 View Post
THIS kind of attitude is entirely what is WRONG with America.
Our population is currently over 300 million. We are running out of potable water and buildable land. This country is deep in debt with crumbling infrastructure.

And you want to flood this country with even more people
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or