U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 07-05-2014, 10:26 PM
 
Location: SW MO
23,605 posts, read 30,334,400 times
Reputation: 28970

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantin23 View Post
THIS kind of attitude is entirely what is WRONG with America.
Actually, a part of what's wrong with America is people who think everyone should be able to live here regardless of the law, the costs to us taxpayers and whether or not they can add something of value.

 
Old 07-05-2014, 10:26 PM
 
20,611 posts, read 12,286,582 times
Reputation: 5895
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaSun1 View Post
What we need is immigration reform which includes securing the border but also paving the way for those already here for legal status of some kind i.e. legal resident or citizen. There is no way you are going to deport 11 million illegals.
MOST illegal aliens WILL leave the US if starved out AND if ANY contact with the cops will result in arrest on the spot.
 
Old 07-05-2014, 11:26 PM
 
Location: OCEAN BREEZES AND VIEWS SAN CLEMENTE
19,899 posts, read 15,291,186 times
Reputation: 6451
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
What's really bad these days is all the bilingual signs. When you think about it, it's being done for illegal aliens.

My father was born in Puerto Rico and his parents brought him to New York when he was a child. He told me how he started school not knowing English. In his class, were other kids whose parents were European immigrants but were in the same boat as my father. My father told me that by the end of the school year, they all spoke English. This was before there was bilingual education. As my father put it, we all knew that we needed to learn English if we were to survive.

These days when you call a company, you hear "para Espanol oprime dos". My father says that this has no place in our country. Even though Spanish is his first language, he refuses to "oprime dos".

When Puerto Ricans started moving to the Mainland, nobody put up signs in Spanish for them---and they are American citizens. It's galling that we are doing this for illegals. Even worse, many of those illegals are illiterate and can't even read the Spanish signs

Well it sounds as if your Father is a wise man. The difference also is that those who came to this Country were not so damn demanding. They wanted to embrace all that America is, and learn the language. I feel living in this Country, and not even attempting to learn the English language, is a insult to all of us.

I have heard out of his mouth a Hispanic Man in a JCP home dept, getting physically and mentally abusive to the manager of the home dept. Because he demanded that he wanted someone who speaks Spanish. And how come everyone in there did not. When he started to raise his voice and his hands, the security team, kicked the whole family out. This woman being a Mexican American was so upset, and ashame at that point she was Mexican. Should of heard the things she was saying about her own race.

In my lifetime I do not remember any other race other then those from Mexico who are treated differently and with kit gloves And that our own government seems to put the wants and needs of law breakers before the needs of it's citizens. Disgusting, for everyone who likes having these illegals here. How many can you adopt.
 
Old 07-06-2014, 02:43 AM
 
Location: San Antonio Texas
11,435 posts, read 15,946,342 times
Reputation: 5224
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
Well it sounds as if your Father is a wise man. The difference also is that those who came to this Country were not so damn demanding. They wanted to embrace all that America is, and learn the language. I feel living in this Country, and not even attempting to learn the English language, is a insult to all of us.

I have heard out of his mouth a Hispanic Man in a JCP home dept, getting physically and mentally abusive to the manager of the home dept. Because he demanded that he wanted someone who speaks Spanish. And how come everyone in there did not. When he started to raise his voice and his hands, the security team, kicked the whole family out. This woman being a Mexican American was so upset, and ashame at that point she was Mexican. Should of heard the things she was saying about her own race.

In my lifetime I do not remember any other race other then those from Mexico who are treated differently and with kit gloves And that our own government seems to put the wants and needs of law breakers before the needs of it's citizens. Disgusting, for everyone who likes having these illegals here. How many can you adopt.
Yes, I am a Mexican-American and have always refused to accommodate the illegals' need for me to communicate with them in spanish unless in a commercial capacity (to make a sale). Some of them delight in learning english, but give up too easily. The government, businesses and our own mexican-americans have made it really easy for them, easier than for any other previous ethnic group. I'm always lived in border states that seem to be most affected by these invasions and don't want to pay for people that shouldn't even be here in the first place. If we keep paying for these people, who's going to pay for our kids, retirees, you and I?
 
Old 07-06-2014, 08:32 AM
 
3,147 posts, read 2,813,278 times
Reputation: 1853
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
Well it sounds as if your Father is a wise man. The difference also is that those who came to this Country were not so damn demanding. They wanted to embrace all that America is, and learn the language. I feel living in this Country, and not even attempting to learn the English language, is a insult to all of us.
Anecdotes are useless in the face of polls and studies, which show that immigrants today learn English at a MUCH faster rate than immigrants of the past. The polls also say 87% of first generation immigrants rate learning English as "very important."
 
Old 07-06-2014, 08:34 AM
 
3,147 posts, read 2,813,278 times
Reputation: 1853
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
If we keep paying for these people, who's going to pay for our kids, retirees, you and I?

Here is an idea, stop stealing money from people to pay for your life. Then you don't have to worry about who receives it... You just want money that belongs to other people to be available to you and not "illegals".

Again, people are talking about illegals, which has NOTHING to do with this thread, in the context of this thread, there would be NO illegals.
 
Old 07-06-2014, 08:36 AM
 
3,147 posts, read 2,813,278 times
Reputation: 1853
Now it looks like none of the anti-immigration people know anything about economics OR history. German immigrants took MUCH longer to assimilate than Latino immigrants do today.
 
Old 07-06-2014, 08:45 AM
 
24,843 posts, read 31,253,072 times
Reputation: 11427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander_Crews View Post
Now it looks like none of the anti-immigration people know anything about economics OR history. German immigrants took MUCH longer to assimilate than Latino immigrants do today.
I had my first million before I was 30.

I know how MY money works......it works for me.

Your illegals will starve if it is up to me.
 
Old 07-06-2014, 08:58 AM
 
31,500 posts, read 14,573,470 times
Reputation: 8361
Who's anti-"immigration"? As for myself, I am pro-legal immigration in reasonable and diversified numbers. The latter is important to achieve assimilation.
 
Old 07-06-2014, 09:13 AM
 
3,147 posts, read 2,813,278 times
Reputation: 1853
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
I had my first million before I was 30.

I know how MY money works......it works for me.

Your illegals will starve if it is up to me.
In the context of this thread, illegals don't exist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Who's anti-"immigration"? As for myself, I am pro-legal immigration in reasonable and diversified numbers. The latter is important to achieve assimilation.
In the context of this thread, every immigrant is legal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top