U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 07-05-2014, 12:39 PM
 
24,843 posts, read 31,395,139 times
Reputation: 11428

Advertisements

I also want to ad......I believe the culture here in the USA is a big reason my first marriage failed.

Things just moved to fast for my X-husband.....he just could not make it here.

 
Old 07-05-2014, 12:39 PM
 
877 posts, read 1,031,624 times
Reputation: 1156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander_Crews View Post
Yeah, and that is what they said about the Irish! LOL!

How many times does an argument have to be wrong, and for how long, before it finally loses credibility? I suppose the answer must be nearly infinite, because the "they will not assimilate" argument is rising again, despite being about 0 for 19 on the groups to which it has been applied. Germans, Irish, Italians, Eastern Europeans, Chinese, and now Mexicans. This argument always seems to be treated seriously in real time and then looks stupid 20 or 30 years later.

People, when they were saying that the Irish would not assimilate were claiming that they had a huge effect on their lives as well.
You're comparing the late 1800s and early 1900s to 2014?

In this day and age of technology, these so called valuable immigrants still cannot manage to read up on the laws in order to follow them? They also manage to have the highest teen pregnancy rates and highest high school drop out rates. How many incompetent mcdonalds workers do you think the US really needs? LOL

Canada is doing fine and they have laws and regulations. Why is it only Latin Americans who scream racism? LOL
 
Old 07-05-2014, 12:52 PM
 
3,147 posts, read 2,827,940 times
Reputation: 1853
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeendonuts View Post
You're comparing the late 1800s and early 1900s to 2014?

In this day and age of technology, these so called valuable immigrants still cannot manage to read up on the laws in order to follow them? They also manage to have the highest teen pregnancy rates and highest high school drop out rates. How many incompetent mcdonalds workers do you think the US really needs? LOL

Canada is doing fine and they have laws and regulations. Why is it only Latin Americans who scream racism? LOL
Nice straw-men.

YOU DON'T FOLLOW ALL THE LAWS. Most Americans commit at least three felonies a day! It is a symptom of too many laws.

ALL my local fast food joints are hiring, so apparently we need more fast food workers. I love how your argument is becoming... "They are worse people than us." ... and you cry foul when someone uses the word bigot.
 
Old 07-05-2014, 01:19 PM
 
20,611 posts, read 12,378,663 times
Reputation: 5895
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
I am not so sure Latinos can completely assimilate into our culture.

From what I have witnessed they have every little desire to try......and for some our culture to just to much for them.
IMHO it depends on the "Latino" as a person, not as a "culture".
 
Old 07-05-2014, 01:21 PM
 
20,611 posts, read 12,378,663 times
Reputation: 5895
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander_Crews View Post
EXACTLY what they said about the Irish.



EXACTLY what they said about the Irish.
The Irish came here legally and we had to "pay our dues". It is what it is.
 
Old 07-05-2014, 01:34 PM
 
877 posts, read 1,031,624 times
Reputation: 1156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander_Crews View Post
Nice straw-men.

YOU DON'T FOLLOW ALL THE LAWS. Most Americans commit at least three felonies a day! It is a symptom of too many laws.

ALL my local fast food joints are hiring, so apparently we need more fast food workers. I love how your argument is becoming... "They are worse people than us." ... and you cry foul when someone uses the word bigot.
This has nothing to do with believing anyone is worse than anybody else. And no, I'm not crying fouls


Most Americans commit there felonies a day? Says who? Speak for yourself, but you committing so many felonies daily explains why you're trying to justify alienating laws

And yes, those fast food jobs can go to Americans who are in need of them. I think a nation of 300 million+ has more than enough people to cover said jobs. But if you knew anything about the fast food industry you would know that it has a ridiculously high turnover rate.

But there are American adults who would take those jobs over nothing

Name 1 developed nation that has open borders and is successful? You've yet to name any credible economist (claiming to be one doesn't make it legitimate btw) other than yourself

And you seem to be using straw man incorrectly. Another poster used it and you ran with it think it would make your argument valid.
 
Old 07-05-2014, 01:42 PM
 
11,622 posts, read 5,584,768 times
Reputation: 9935
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander_Crews View Post
Nice straw-men.

YOU DON'T FOLLOW ALL THE LAWS. Most Americans commit at least three felonies a day! It is a symptom of too many laws.

ALL my local fast food joints are hiring, so apparently we need more fast food workers. I love how your argument is becoming... "They are worse people than us." ... and you cry foul when someone uses the word bigot.
^Here we go again! When invasion cheerleaders run out of arguments, they scream "straw man"---and don't you love this one?---"Most Americans commit at least three felonies a day" Who knew? BTW, I'm sure that Xander has a credible link to back this up

Xander refuses to believe that if we did away with borders and immigration laws that it will quickly bring this country to its knees.

Reasonably intelligent people know that. They know that once word spread like wildfire that anyone can come here because there are no more immigration laws or borders, that we would be quickly inundated.

We don't have enough jobs for American citizens and when new jobs are created, the majority are going to immigrants.

We don't have the infrastructure in place to handle the number of people who would come if we did away with immigration laws and borders. Plus our infrastructure is crumbling and the money is not there to fix it.

We are currently running out of potable water and buildable land. I guess Xander thinks that he can wave his magic wand and fix all of this

Reasonably intelligent people know all of the above. If anyone is still pushing for open borders and no immigration laws, then one can come to the conclusion that those who push for this are eager to see us become a third world country with 1 billion people and not enough potable water.

Reasonably intelligent people don't want such a scenario to occur. As for those who refuse to see what the consequences of open borders and no immigration laws would be...well...you can draw your own conclusions.
 
Old 07-05-2014, 01:46 PM
 
20,611 posts, read 12,378,663 times
Reputation: 5895
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander_Crews View Post
Nice straw-men.

YOU DON'T FOLLOW ALL THE LAWS. Most Americans commit at least three felonies a day! It is a symptom of too many laws.

ALL my local fast food joints are hiring, so apparently we need more fast food workers. I love how your argument is becoming... "They are worse people than us." ... and you cry foul when someone uses the word bigot.
IMHO you'd be better off living IN Mexico than the US. Mexico's more what you seem to want so maybe you can test your ideas there then get back with us.
 
Old 07-05-2014, 04:29 PM
 
3,147 posts, read 2,827,940 times
Reputation: 1853
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
The Irish came here legally and we had to "pay our dues". It is what it is.

Durr, this discussion is about LEGAL immigration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeendonuts View Post
This has nothing to do with believing anyone is worse than anybody else. And no, I'm not crying fouls

Most Americans commit there felonies a day? Says who? Speak for yourself, but you committing so many felonies daily explains why you're trying to justify alienating laws

And yes, those fast food jobs can go to Americans who are in need of them. I think a nation of 300 million+ has more than enough people to cover said jobs. But if you knew anything about the fast food industry you would know that it has a ridiculously high turnover rate.

But there are American adults who would take those jobs over nothing

Name 1 developed nation that has open borders and is successful? You've yet to name any credible economist (claiming to be one doesn't make it legitimate btw) other than yourself

And you seem to be using straw man incorrectly. Another poster used it and you ran with it think it would make your argument valid.

Ugh, read the book "Three Felonies a Day", you completely misunderstand. There are so many laws that you CAN NOT live without breaking a great deal of them. If you think you just don't break laws, you are just ignorant of the laws.

I use the term strawman completely correctly... when you guys talk about illegals, in this context, it is a strawman, this thread is NOT about illegals. You guys are drawing the conversation towards a similar but different concept to reinforce your points... kinda the definition of a strawman.

If those people wanted the fast food jobs, they wouldn't be constantly hiring... duh. You think the jobs are there, Americans want them, but they just can't figure it out?

I know all about the turnover rate, if there were so many Americans desperate for jobs like you claim, they wouldn't have to put up help wanted signs, they would be able to fill positions IMMEDIATELY after they were vacated.

33% of Americans don't have jobs AND don't want jobs.


Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
^Here we go again! When invasion cheerleaders run out of arguments, they scream "straw man"---and don't you love this one?---"Most Americans commit at least three felonies a day" Who knew? BTW, I'm sure that Xander has a credible link to back this up

Xander refuses to believe that if we did away with borders and immigration laws that it will quickly bring this country to its knees.

Reasonably intelligent people know that. They know that once word spread like wildfire that anyone can come here because there are no more immigration laws or borders, that we would be quickly inundated.

We don't have enough jobs for American citizens and when new jobs are created, the majority are going to immigrants.

We don't have the infrastructure in place to handle the number of people who would come if we did away with immigration laws and borders. Plus our infrastructure is crumbling and the money is not there to fix it.

We are currently running out of potable water and buildable land. I guess Xander thinks that he can wave his magic wand and fix all of this

Reasonably intelligent people know all of the above. If anyone is still pushing for open borders and no immigration laws, then one can come to the conclusion that those who push for this are eager to see us become a third world country with 1 billion people and not enough potable water.

Reasonably intelligent people don't want such a scenario to occur. As for those who refuse to see what the consequences of open borders and no immigration laws would be...well...you can draw your own conclusions.
People who are ignorant to the facts and have OBVIOUSLY never taken an econ class believe the above statements.

This post is ALL misinformation with NOTHING to back it... and you apparently don't know what a strawman is.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
IMHO you'd be better off living IN Mexico than the US. Mexico's more what you seem to want so maybe you can test your ideas there then get back with us.
Yeah, and you are better off living in N. Korea. That is how stupid your post sounds...
 
Old 07-05-2014, 05:42 PM
 
11,622 posts, read 5,584,768 times
Reputation: 9935
Xander---Where did you get you economics degree? I seriously doubt that you even have one.

No one who claims to have an education would think that throwing open our borders would be for the good of this country.

Why is it that you want to see this country destroyed? After all that's what would happen.

Take a look at India. They have over 1 billion people and not enough potable water. Reasonably intelligent people know that that is where we would be heading if we did things your way.

The question is---why do you refuse to see the obvious?

Again, I seriously doubt that you have an economics degree.

Oh! And I've yet to see a link from you showing that all Americans commit 3 felonies a day.

OMG! Your hatred and ignorance is astounding
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top