U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 07-05-2014, 05:45 PM
 
3,217 posts, read 3,413,701 times
Reputation: 5275

Advertisements

I believe it's a stupid idea but why not have something that is between the two extremes? Allow people who are educated, literate, hard-working and intelligent instead of making it an unnecessarily arduous process for them. The rest can stay out.

 
Old 07-05-2014, 05:55 PM
 
3,873 posts, read 3,190,952 times
Reputation: 2501
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander_Crews View Post
EXACTLY what they said about the Irish.



EXACTLY what they said about the Irish.
There was never a period of continuous non stop Irish immigration in the numbers we see with Illegals from the south, also the Irish generally spoke ( although with an accent) English already.

In between both World Wars, and after waves of various immigrants had a chance to assimilate. Instead of what we have today, these uneducated peasants are bringing with them the very things they are fleeing from.

A culture of corruption, disregard for any AND all laws and a warped sense of entitlement. No real comparison at all !!!

BTW those Irish, Italians, Greeks, Chinese, etc, etc.. DID NOT have welfare, section 8, WIC, Food stamps and FREE medical did they ???
 
Old 07-05-2014, 05:57 PM
 
3,147 posts, read 2,836,193 times
Reputation: 1853
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Xander---Where did you get you economics degree? I seriously doubt that you even have one.
I don't give away personal info online, but it was a "public ivy" institution. It is BEYOND clear that you did not ever attend an econ class.

Quote:
No one who claims to have an education would think that throwing open our borders would be for the good of this country.
False, anybody with a solid understanding of markets would disagree with you.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eyJIbSgdSE

Quote:
After graduating from Rutgers, Friedman was offered two scholarships to do graduate work: one in mathematics at Brown University and the other in economics at the University of Chicago. Friedman chose the latter, thus earning an M.A. in 1933. He was strongly influenced by Jacob Viner, Frank Knight, and Henry Simons. It was at Chicago that Friedman met his future wife, economist Rose Director. During 1933–34 he had a fellowship at Columbia University, where he studied statistics with renowned statistician and economist Harold Hotelling.
Are you really claiming you are more highly educated than Milton Friedman?

Quote:
Why is it that you want to see this country destroyed? After all that's what would happen.
I want a free and prosperous country, and that is what would happen. As long as you get rid of welfare. Again, take an economics class, the lack of welfare and strong immigration is why this country EVER saw prosperity in the first place.

Now we have closed down immigration and welfare.... and we are not prosperous. You should back up your absurd claims with ANY verifiable evidence, but since non such evidence exists... good luck.

Quote:
Take a look at India. They have over 1 billion people and not enough potable water. Reasonably intelligent people know that that is where we would be heading if we did things your way.
WRONG. Reasonable people would understand that your comparison is STUPID on it's face. Last I checked, India didn't have a QUARTER of the worlds surface fresh water within it's borders. Are you saying that they have open borders? Are you saying that a high population in an undeveloped country would garner the same results as a large population in a developed country?

Either way, the comparison is just dumb. You should look up logical fallacies and stop using them.

Quote:
The question is---why do you refuse to see the obvious?
I don't. I am educated on the subject, and you aren't. THAT is the obvious that you refuse to see, you let your xenophobia get in the way of education.

Once again, you have NO verifiable evidence to back your claim.

Quote:
Again, I seriously doubt that you have an economics degree.
Not surprising. You are pretty consistent at denying reality.

Quote:
Oh! And I've yet to see a link from you showing that all Americans commit 3 felonies a day.
That was a discussion with another poster, you never asked for it. Are you too poor to buy a book or too lazy to read?.. I DID cite source material.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwsLAqjqnxo

You Commit Three Felonies a Day
Laws have become too vague and the concept of intent has disappeared. -- Wall Street Journal


(Again, I would like to point out your hypocrisy... you STILL haven't posted ANY verifiable evidence... AT ALL. And you complain after I actually do. )
 
Old 07-05-2014, 05:59 PM
 
20,611 posts, read 12,428,387 times
Reputation: 5895
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander_Crews View Post
I don't give away personal info online, but it was a "public ivy" institution. It is BEYOND clear that you did not ever attend an econ class.



False, anybody with a solid understanding of markets would disagree with you.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eyJIbSgdSE



Are you really claiming you are more highly educated than Milton Friedman?



I want a free and prosperous country, and that is what would happen. As long as you get rid of welfare. Again, take an economics class, the lack of welfare and strong immigration is why this country EVER saw prosperity in the first place.

Now we have closed down immigration and welfare.... and we are not prosperous. You should back up your absurd claims with ANY verifiable evidence, but since non such evidence exists... good luck.



WRONG. Reasonable people would understand that your comparison is STUPID on it's face. Last I checked, India didn't have a QUARTER of the worlds surface fresh water within it's borders. Are you saying that they have open borders? Are you saying that a high population in an undeveloped country would garner the same results as a large population in a developed country?

Either way, the comparison is just dumb. You should look up logical fallacies and stop using them.



I don't. I am educated on the subject, and you aren't. THAT is the obvious that you refuse to see, you let your xenophobia get in the way of education.

Once again, you have NO verifiable evidence to back your claim.



Not surprising. You are pretty consistent at denying reality.



That was a discussion with another poster, you never asked for it. Are you too poor to buy a book or too lazy to read?.. I DID cite source material.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwsLAqjqnxo

You Commit Three Felonies a Day
Laws have become too vague and the concept of intent has disappeared. -- Wall Street Journal


(Again, I would like to point out your hypocrisy... you STILL haven't posted ANY verifiable evidence... AT ALL. And you complain after I actually do. )
I don't believe a thing you say. Sorry, I DON'T! Sheesh!
 
Old 07-05-2014, 05:59 PM
 
3,873 posts, read 3,190,952 times
Reputation: 2501
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
I believe it's a stupid idea but why not have something that is between the two extremes? Allow people who are educated, literate, hard-working and intelligent instead of making it an unnecessarily arduous process for them. The rest can stay out.
Because the rest won't listen, that's why.
 
Old 07-05-2014, 06:02 PM
 
Location: Oxygen Ln. AZ
9,321 posts, read 16,213,734 times
Reputation: 5685
We would have a new flag. It would not be called America any longer. Your vote would not count. You would not receive food stamps, welfare, Medicaid, Medicare or social security because they, the new inhabitants would refuse to pay for it.
 
Old 07-05-2014, 06:06 PM
 
3,147 posts, read 2,836,193 times
Reputation: 1853
Quote:
Originally Posted by antarez View Post
There was never a period of continuous non stop Irish immigration in the numbers we see with Illegals from the south, also the Irish generally spoke ( although with an accent) English already.

None of that is true. They spoke Irish, and the numbers are only off by a couple million.

Quote:
In between both World Wars, and after waves of various immigrants had a chance to assimilate. Instead of what we have today, these uneducated peasants are bringing with them the very things they are fleeing from.
Ugh, Scots brought Scot culture, English brought English culture, etc... Assimilation does not mean forsaking your roots.


Quote:
A culture of corruption, disregard for any AND all laws and a warped sense of entitlement. No real comparison at all !!
Untrue. Simply untrue.

More bigoted non-sense... it isn't an issue of race or culture, it is socio-economic. Poor white people from America do the EXACT same crap, AND they feel even more entitled to my money.


Quote:
BTW those Irish, Italians, Greeks, Chinese, etc, etc.. DID NOT have welfare, section 8, WIC, Food stamps and FREE medical did they ???
You didn't read my posts did you? I have maintained from the beginning that the welfare state needs abolished. They don't have a right to my money without my consent, and YOU do not have a right to my money without my consent. I don't give a crap where you where born.
 
Old 07-05-2014, 06:08 PM
 
3,147 posts, read 2,836,193 times
Reputation: 1853
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
I don't believe a thing you say. Sorry, I DON'T! Sheesh!
Ok, keep denying reality, you are already good at it. I KNOW (because I am more educated on the subject) that you are completely ignorant to the subject we are debating. You don't hurt my feelings by continuing your ignorance of economics.
 
Old 07-05-2014, 06:11 PM
 
3,216 posts, read 1,786,500 times
Reputation: 1215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander_Crews View Post
None of that is true. They spoke Irish, and the numbers are only off by a couple million.



Ugh, Scots brought Scot culture, English brought English culture, etc... Assimilation does not mean forsaking your roots.




Untrue. Simply untrue.

More bigoted non-sense... it isn't an issue of race or culture, it is socio-economic. Poor white people from America do the EXACT same crap, AND they feel even more entitled to my money.




You didn't read my posts did you? I have maintained from the beginning that the welfare state needs abolished. They don't have a right to my money without my consent, and YOU do not have a right to my money without my consent. I don't give a crap where you where born.
By the time of the Great Famine; and the huge migration to America, most of the Irish spoke English.
 
Old 07-05-2014, 06:12 PM
 
20,611 posts, read 12,428,387 times
Reputation: 5895
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander_Crews View Post
Ok, keep denying reality, you are already good at it. I KNOW (because I am more educated on the subject) that you are completely ignorant to the subject we are debating. You don't hurt my feelings by continuing your ignorance of economics.
Like I said: I don't believe a thing you say. Anybody can be anything on an Internet Forum.

Too; some of the stuff you say is anarchy, period. That kind of stuff WILL set off riots and so on. Maybe you like anarchy, I don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top