Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2014, 04:29 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,452,408 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Just being realistic. I blame Obama, and I blame Bush. I can't help hyper-partisans who want to imagine that everything would be great if only *their* team were in charge. Dream on.
At least they weren't being flown to other parts of the country after being caught under Bush.

Don't get me wrong, Bush wanted amnesty too and was also very ineffective on this issue, but the situation wasn't anywhere close to this bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2014, 04:31 PM

45,542 posts, read 27,146,343 times
Quote:
Just being realistic. I blame Obama, and I blame Bush. I can't help hyper-partisans who want to imagine that everything would be great if only *their* team were in charge. Dream on.
But right now, Obama is in charge of not enforcing the laws on the books - something he swore to do - and he is attempting to hack the election with the illegals.

Here's the big difference. Republicans/Conservatives would hold Bush accountable. Democrats/Liberals/Progressives really don't care about the laws on the books as long as their guys wins.

Old 07-04-2014, 04:33 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,657,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Bush had to deal with liberals in the House and Senate and couldn't do much.
What?! Republicans controlled the House from 2001-2007, and the Senate from 2003-2007. If Bush had wanted to do something about the border, he would have. He had years of opportunities.

Old 07-04-2014, 04:53 PM

6,512 posts, read 7,543,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
It didn't take but three posts for Bush to be blamed. He's the gift that keeps on giving, and the best excuse for Obama's meltdown. It's the Democrats who waived a big carrot at the border and caused this to happen, not the pubs.
Of course, a president's influence ends the day he/she leaves office. Presidential policies never carry on into the next administration.

I may have that backwards...

Old 07-04-2014, 04:53 PM

6,926 posts, read 6,931,152 times
It's just so much more fun to cut and paste, rant and rage than it is to attempt to actually read something. From your first snip and snarl:

~snip~
Quote:
WASHINGTON (AP) — President Barack Obama plans to highlight a positive side of the immigration debate by presiding over an Independence Day citizenship ceremony for service members who signed up to defend the U.S. even though they weren't American citizens.

A total of 25 members of the Armed Forces will spend the Fourth of July as American citizens after the deputy secretary for homeland security delivers the oath of allegiance at a White House ceremony on Friday.

The group includes 15 active-duty service members from the Army, Navy, Air Force and Marines, along with two veterans, one reservist and seven spouses, the White House said. They represent 15 countries.
~snip~

You know what? If someone signs up to defend this country and serves honorably in our military even though the US is not their country, they SHOULD be put on the fast track for citizenship. How evil of Obama for honoring these brave members of our Armed Forces.

So, what else you got for us, Mr. Big Deal Patriot?

Old 07-04-2014, 04:56 PM

11,237 posts, read 11,014,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Obama's border legacy = ONE HUGE AND EXTREMELY COSTLY AND RIDICULOUS MESS - It's typical for the young girls coming in to start having babies at about age 14 and they tend to have a baby every year until chlamydia or gonorrhea stops that.
Isn't it amazing that the people who have no sensible purpose for having children get to pop them out like nothing on the taxpayer's dime (and then get rewarded with further welfare benefits for each one more they spawn), yet good solid families who can't have children for medical or genetic reasons on their own struggle and fight with adoption/foster restrictions? This goes for those both illegals and citizens alike who choose to make babies without a care in the world.

Old 07-04-2014, 05:14 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,211,852 times
Quote:
You are correct both parties own blame. That said Obama is POTUS. That said this latest onslaught didn't happen 6 years ago, it happened after Obama started parading illegals on stage and started pandering to illegals and their supporters. Words matter and this latest surge is the direct result of Obama's gums flapping.
Bush owns blame and Clinton even more so.
Now what is the fix?
Some would have us believe that s744 amnesty by any other name is the only answer. Others believe smaller bills that directly target the problem is a better answer.
Take away the bait. Hammer the employers who hire illegals. Many will self deport to find other options.

Old 07-04-2014, 05:19 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,668,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
Isn't it amazing that the people who have no sensible purpose for having children get to pop them out like nothing on the taxpayer's dime (and then get rewarded with further welfare benefits for each one more they spawn), yet good solid families who can't have children for medical or genetic reasons on their own struggle and fight with adoption/foster restrictions? This goes for those both illegals and citizens alike who choose to make babies without a care in the world.
And yes -- maybe the best "aid" we could give the countries of Central America and Mexico and some others would be birth control. Having babies when they cannot afford them is about the stupidest thing these people do. And they don't just have one or two but they keep having them.

Then they use them to get to the USA and will find the welfare programs really reward irresponsible breeding.

Old 07-04-2014, 09:31 PM

4,581 posts, read 3,405,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
It didn't take but three posts for Bush to be blamed. He's the gift that keeps on giving, and the best excuse for Obama's meltdown. It's the Democrats who waived a big carrot at the border and caused this to happen, not the pubs.

FWIW, I am a conservative republican and this post is accurate. Bush specifically stated in his 2000 campaign that he would "protect our borders" his intentional failure to do so spawned the cut and republican movement of 2006 which revolved into the Tea Party, Bush had no intention whatsoever of protecting the southern border a we all know it, Obama is just making an existing situation worse.

Old 07-05-2014, 11:48 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,327,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armourereric View Post
FWIW, I am a conservative republican and this post is accurate. Bush specifically stated in his 2000 campaign that he would "protect our borders" his intentional failure to do so spawned the cut and republican movement of 2006 which revolved into the Tea Party, Bush had no intention whatsoever of protecting the southern border a we all know it, Obama is just making an existing situation worse.
Bush did send troops to the boarder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration