U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should we let them stay because they are from a living hell?
Yes, they are refugees! 2 1.82%
In most cases, yes... 6 5.45%
NO! There are kids living in hellish conditions all over the world 102 92.73%
I don't know 0 0%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2014, 05:00 AM

1,480 posts, read 2,181,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I have some liberal relatives and no matter what facts I throw at them including stats of what illegals are costing their particular states they just ignore it and pull the compassion card. Of course they are also Democrats.
I have been watching the reports on this story on CNN and MSNBC and basically all the pundits talk about how terrible it is in Central America for these sweet little children and say because it is so terrible there, the kids and their parents should be allowed to come as refugees. Basically no one who agrees they should be deported are allowed to speak to the viewers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2014, 10:29 AM

673 posts, read 552,131 times
Default Arguments to Counter keeping the illegals from C.A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Thought I should paste a link.
It's pretty hard to get any current government data though.
Then again it might just be the "transparency issues" with this current administration.

Most Illegal Immigrant Families Collect Welfare | Judicial Watch
The highest rate of welfare recipients come from the Dominican Republic (82 %), Mexico and Guatemala (75%) and Ecuador (70%), according to the report, which says welfare use tends to be high for both new arrivals and established residents.

Here's the actual report:
Welfare Use by Immigrant Households with Children | Center for Immigration Studies

Again, great stats and sources, Happy Texan. (BTW, how can you remain so "Happy" in Texas with all of this going on, eroding our great state of Texas?!!!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
"When immigrants landed at Ellis Island, they were checked for diseases, both physical and mental. Not all were allowed to stay. Many were put right back on the boat that brought them here."

Yep, and the company who owned the ship that brought them over here had to pay for their passage back.
Yep...responded to this one before - it just merited repeating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Cannot do it until the 2008 law is changed. These people are from Central America. They are protected. Mexicans can be sent back immediately. Central Americans have a ton of rights.

Please read - all the details are here:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/35613324-post17.html
-As stated before, this loophole must be stricken. In fact, the entire Dream Act needs total, restrictive revision or abolishment.

- What boggles me, as how our lawmakers decided to give anyone who's NOT an American citizen, "rights" in the first place??? Sounds counter-intuitive to me!

I was watching a show by Anthony Bourdain on the Travel Channel the other day on Dubai. Regardless of our politics or opinions of the entire "Muslim"debate, I think the UAE have it figured out (correctly so).
---Until recently, they have not allowed anyone to acquire citizenship. It's currently being reviewed, and only recently, has the UAE allowed the children born of Emirati mothers and expat fathers to become citizens. Roughly 84% of their current population is comprised of non-citizen workers, who have toiled in every strata, to build Dubai (and other areas of the UAE) up to what it is today.

They are now considering a long path to citizenship, but it's going to be a very selective process. Mostly reserved for professionals and the very-educated, who have contributed significantly to the positive growth of their country. These applicants would have to assimilate, in that they would have to conduct official business in the "national garb" and learn Arabic (and the local dialect), as all "official" business is conducted in Arabic

Perhaps America could learn a thing or to from this...allow non-citizens in to WORK, but only with limited rights. We, too, should adopt a strict path to citizenship, but NOT including "amnesty" for the illegals already here. We should be utilizing some aspects of the UAE's process...and only if the applicant is willing to fully assimilate, adopt our language, and become a net contributor, NOT to use or abuse our welfare or assistance systems.

To our country's ultimate detriment and erosion, we have bent over backwards catering to the illegals! No wonder they want to break the law to come here...it's now the land of the "free....give-aways!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I have some liberal relatives and no matter what facts I throw at them including stats of what illegals are costing their particular states they just ignore it and pull the compassion card. Of course they are also Democrats.
-Oldglory, give them the analogy of the life raft that can hold 10 people - the 10 who had built the ship, the raft, and toiled to keep it afloat. If your relatives were these people, and there were 1,000 other people in the waters who just felt like "swimming" that day, but wanted a free ride back to the beach, just how many of these people would your relatives want to take on? Everyone? well, then EVERYONE would sink. Is this what they want?

So, ask them, where does this stop? What about flying over the maimed, starving children from Africa? From the war-torn and terrorist-infested Middle East? Don't these people matter as much as the illegals or refugees from Mexico and Central America?

-Also, tell them about the high percentage of gang members and older teen (or adult) males along with these "children"...do they want them living NEXT DOOR to them? I'd be very curious to their responses to these questions!
In fact, email it to them - they can DM me. I'll happily have a "chat" with them!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
$350 per day?!!! Why so much? They should just throw them into Detroit and let them fend for themselves.
Wehotex...I LOVE your posts...entertaining, but with a smattering of ironic truths.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
I have been watching the reports on this story on CNN and MSNBC and basically all the pundits talk about how terrible it is in Central America for these sweet little children and say because it is so terrible there, the kids and their parents should be allowed to come as refugees. Basically no one who agrees they should be deported are allowed to speak to the viewers.
Well, hopefully as protests and marches increase, this will change. Especially if we, like Oldglory suggested, continue to write to various reps in the gov't as well as your local (and national) media. Start to post comments on the news site's comment sections. Include your data and sources. Maybe SOMEONE will start to listen!!!

Thanks, Dandi

Old 07-13-2014, 01:43 PM

33 posts, read 60,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm31828 View Post
No- it is our government's responsibility to take care of us, the people of the United States. It is up to the governments of each of these kids' countries to take care of them. Until every single person in this country is well cared for, and everything is perfectly in order here, we should not be spending our money trying to care for these others.

And if we do let these kids stay, we need to find a way to make sure NO local, state, or federal funding goes towards any benefits for them- no medical care, food, or even public school- our social programs are overburdened as it is and can't afford to cover all of the citizens and legal residents, so we shouldn't even begin to think about spending even ONE DOLLAR on any of these illegal immigrants. Make them pay for private school, pay their own way for everything- I'll bet many would leave!

This I agree with. They should cut all social services to illegals. Fine and jail those who hire them, and only give citizenship to people whose parents are here legally. If they're so desperate for a "better" life, why do they not go to South America? Why not go to Mexico? Because they know damn well that these countries will not put up with their crap like we do here. These countries will not give them food stamps and access to social services. I have zero sympathy for people in these countries, keep popping out children and expecting America to take care of their kids. We have enough of those right here, and we do not need more.

Old 07-13-2014, 02:59 PM

1,935 posts, read 2,728,262 times
I posted on the first page of this thread that if we want to rescue kids, we should start with Chicago and Detroit.

Today I read a very small news story--they've shipped 768 illegal teenagers to Chicago, but refuse to tell authorities in Chicago where they are or what their names are.

Yeah, that'll help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or