U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Should we let them stay because they are from a living hell?
Yes, they are refugees! 2 1.82%
In most cases, yes... 6 5.45%
NO! There are kids living in hellish conditions all over the world 102 92.73%
I don't know 0 0%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-07-2014, 06:36 AM
 
24,843 posts, read 31,259,394 times
Reputation: 11427

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftymh View Post
They could have stopped at Mexico.
Obama should have stayed out of their politics......and never should have started the path for them to come.

Obama lied to them.....just has he has lied to us.

Now this is what we have.....a mess.

The way to fix it is do not send them back......that is not our place.

Just put them over the border in Mexico......in time the Mexican government will learn to guard their border.....not make money on these travelers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-07-2014, 07:34 AM
 
20,611 posts, read 12,290,347 times
Reputation: 5895
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb73 View Post
Using that definition, a bunch of kids living in parts of Detroit and Chicago would qualify as needing to be saved. Yet no one seems interested in rushing in to save those two cities.

I think we should clean up our own problems before we take on everyone else's.
Agreed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2014, 08:46 AM
 
3,216 posts, read 1,767,598 times
Reputation: 1215
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
I wonder if this poll was on another site there would be a more mixed viewpoint on this. TV New Channels are full of pundits who say America owes these poor children a new home.
Most of the national pundits live in areas where they are certain none of these children will be coming, impacting their children's schools, overwhelming their health facilities. Very hypocritical of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2014, 10:25 AM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
69,306 posts, read 79,490,574 times
Reputation: 38656
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
Is it our responsibility to accept the kids who come to America illegally by themselves because it is a living hell in Central America? Gangs, murder, harassment, etc.
We are not our brothers keepers, people have to understand that. No one could care for kids anymore than I do; my heart goes out to these kids, but it isn't our responsibility to take care of them. If we send them back, sooner or later their families will get the idea. They are using these kids, it is as simple as that. The next thing you know we will be letting all the parents in so they can see little Rosa and Pedro. Why not just send planes to Africa to bring back the sick, poor and kids with no parents or invite the kids living in No. Korea to come here and escape dictatorship.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2014, 01:33 PM
 
6 posts, read 3,861 times
Reputation: 18
If we are accepting everyones "refugees", then these same countries should stop receiving foreign aid. In fact, they should pay the USG for taking care of their kids. Honduras and Guatemala should pay us a monthly WIC check.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2014, 01:38 PM
 
Location: Bothell, Washington
2,680 posts, read 4,460,145 times
Reputation: 3622
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
Is it our responsibility to accept the kids who come to America illegally by themselves because it is a living hell in Central America? Gangs, murder, harassment, etc.
No- it is our government's responsibility to take care of us, the people of the United States. It is up to the governments of each of these kids' countries to take care of them. Until every single person in this country is well cared for, and everything is perfectly in order here, we should not be spending our money trying to care for these others.

And if we do let these kids stay, we need to find a way to make sure NO local, state, or federal funding goes towards any benefits for them- no medical care, food, or even public school- our social programs are overburdened as it is and can't afford to cover all of the citizens and legal residents, so we shouldn't even begin to think about spending even ONE DOLLAR on any of these illegal immigrants. Make them pay for private school, pay their own way for everything- I'll bet many would leave!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2014, 03:47 PM
 
24,843 posts, read 31,259,394 times
Reputation: 11427
Quote:
Originally Posted by aziatic77 View Post
If we are accepting everyones "refugees", then these same countries should stop receiving foreign aid. In fact, they should pay the USG for taking care of their kids. Honduras and Guatemala should pay us a monthly WIC check.
Sorry...we send aid to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2014, 10:33 AM
 
156 posts, read 111,904 times
Reputation: 128
It's a tough situation...little kids coming from dysfunctional, corrupt, and violent countries. My heart goes out to them. However, realistically, we just can't take in everyone who comes from that type of environment;there are too many--similar to trying to overload one life boat with an ocean full of drowning people. Everyone goes down.

The answer to me is to secure the darned border. Have an orderly immigration system. Streamline that if needed. I have a feeling the legal immigration system is convoluted and confusing. But in today's modern welfare state, we just cannot have virtually open borders. It's just common sense.

Try to help these people as much as possible in their home nations. I don't know what the answer is to repairing a dysfunctional, corrupt, violent nation. We're having enough trouble fixing our own dysfunction here. Just my two cents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2014, 10:35 AM
 
24,843 posts, read 31,259,394 times
Reputation: 11427
Quote:
Originally Posted by majesticat View Post
It's a tough situation...little kids coming from dysfunctional, corrupt, and violent countries. My heart goes out to them. However, realistically, we just can't take in everyone who comes from that type of environment;there are too many--similar to trying to overload one life boat with an ocean full of drowning people. Everyone goes down.

The answer to me is to secure the darned border. Have an orderly immigration system. Streamline that if needed. I have a feeling the legal immigration system is convoluted and confusing. But in today's modern welfare state, we just cannot have virtually open borders. It's just common sense.

Try to help these people as much as possible in their home nations. I don't know what the answer is to repairing a dysfunctional, corrupt, violent nation. We're having enough trouble fixing our own dysfunction here. Just my two cents.
The answer is stray out of their politics....Obama's meddling is some of the problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2014, 04:55 PM
 
Location: Lebanon, OH
5,685 posts, read 5,888,940 times
Reputation: 12037
You should see how Mexico treats people who are there illegally and then ask yourself why they should ever expect us to take care of their citizens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top