U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Should we let them stay because they are from a living hell?
Yes, they are refugees! 2 1.82%
In most cases, yes... 6 5.45%
NO! There are kids living in hellish conditions all over the world 102 92.73%
I don't know 0 0%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-12-2014, 12:01 AM
 
20,611 posts, read 12,342,384 times
Reputation: 5895

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess5 View Post
This is a great idea. It makes too much sense for our government to actually put it into practice though. I understand that a lot of illegals are allergic to most everything in the work place, including work itself.
There's a LOT of truth to that. Maybe not 30 years ago but in 2014 with at least Mexican woman having small families, there are less people fighting for jobs in that country so the hard workers now stay home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-12-2014, 12:59 AM
 
Location: Southern California
15,088 posts, read 16,993,176 times
Reputation: 10278
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
Is it our responsibility to accept the kids who come to America illegally by themselves because it is a living hell in Central America? Gangs, murder, harassment, etc.
I'm voting no. But not because there are kids living in hellish conditions all over the world but because we first need to look after the kids here.

[we can't save the world]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2014, 05:15 AM
 
1,480 posts, read 2,192,614 times
Reputation: 1611
I read on the web that 2 out of 5 Americans think the recent illegals from Central America should be able to stay. A minority, but a large minority.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2014, 02:49 PM
 
Location: SW Kansas
1,787 posts, read 3,354,157 times
Reputation: 1401
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
Is it our responsibility to accept the kids who come to America illegally by themselves because it is a living hell in Central America? Gangs, murder, harassment, etc.
No. We have American children living in hell too. Our obligation is to our own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2014, 04:38 PM
 
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
1,017 posts, read 558,506 times
Reputation: 1626
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
They've already turned to crime. They have gangs (MS-13, for example). They drive drunk or drive without licenses or insurance, or all three. They engage in ID theft or use fake SSNs, both of which leave the true owners of those SSNs in a world of hurt. Not to mention many of them engage in welfare fraud.

If we make it impossible for them to find work or access any freebies and they turn to crime, then they go to jail and then get deported.
Unfortunately, in California, our prisons are so crowded that tens of thousands have been relocated to the over-burdened county jails and others have been released into society if their crimes weren't considered violent.

I agree - no more cheap labor and no freebies EVER. I have lived here for my whole life and never collected one cent of those welfare "freebies." Our taxes are high, we are experiencing the worst drought in California history, housing is expensive, etc., so bringing in bottom-feeders only exacerbates our problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2014, 04:47 PM
 
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
1,017 posts, read 558,506 times
Reputation: 1626
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
I read on the web that 2 out of 5 Americans think the recent illegals from Central America should be able to stay. A minority, but a large minority.
Those Americans are misinformed or uneducated or very wealthy. This is reflective of the "dumbing down of America" and provides proof of not being aware that these illegals take, take and take, while bringing in diseases, gang mentality, illiteracy and poverty. Perhaps if the "poll" had been worded differently (showing the facts) the response would be 95% for deportation. For the remaining 5%, perhaps that minority will support and educate and take full responsibility for these lawbreakers.

I am retired, too, and struggle to make ends meet on 35% of my former salary. All tapped out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2014, 06:46 PM
 
Location: East Coast
673 posts, read 554,205 times
Reputation: 642
Lightbulb Let's educate the misinformed about the problems illegals are bringing!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Thought I should paste a link.
It's pretty hard to get any current government data though.
Then again it might just be the "transparency issues" with this current administration.


Most Illegal Immigrant Families Collect Welfare | Judicial Watch
The highest rate of welfare recipients come from the Dominican Republic (82 %), Mexico and Guatemala (75%) and Ecuador (70%), according to the report, which says welfare use tends to be high for both new arrivals and established residents.

Here's the actual report:
Welfare Use by Immigrant Households with Children | Center for Immigration Studies

Great information, as usual, Happy Texan. From all I've read, especially from the economists at the Heritage Foundation, these immigrants usually do stay on the welfare roles once they become legal citizens. Or, they receive it as well as other aid through their children (refugees) or anchor babies.
Would you consider posting some of your "top complaints" about illegals with your sources, such as these, on the nation-wide protest thread? We need a compilation of such stats and sources for those who want to join in the protest (signs, interviews, and such), or for the "low information" people as noted in the other posts.


Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
"When immigrants landed at Ellis Island, they were checked for diseases, both physical and mental. Not all were allowed to stay. Many were put right back on the boat that brought them here."

Yep, and the company who owned the ship that brought them over here had to pay for their passage back.
-Yes, my grandparents told me of this experience. In fact, once "approved" for entry, people had to strip down to be "de-liced"...a quite undignified procedure. A worker dipped a mop-type device into a bucket of solution, and slopped it all over and under on each of the LEGAL immigrants standing in line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Cannot do it until the 2008 law is changed. These people are from Central America. They are protected. Mexicans can be sent back immediately. Central Americans have a ton of rights.

Please read - all the details are here:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/35613324-post17.html
- There can be an emergency bill to address this, if I'm not mistaken. Or, can't "O" take executive action on this with a stroke of the pen? It's obvious from the swarms of illegals coming in that this was a mistake...intended or not. It's time to "plug the leak".


Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
I read on the web that 2 out of 5 Americans think the recent illegals from Central America should be able to stay. A minority, but a large minority.
-Which is exactly WHY there's the march across the nation next week...to raise awareness and fight not only Washington and "O", but to render information to the "misinformed" (see post below, too.) I'm sure that these people have compassion for who they think are mostly children (47% so far, are really not...they're either older teens, or young men posing as teens. Gang members, etc.).

We really have to speak up now, and provide this information to our fellow "uninformed" or "uneducated" citizens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie1004 View Post
Those Americans are misinformed or uneducated or very wealthy. This is reflective of the "dumbing down of America" and provides proof of not being aware that these illegals take, take and take, while bringing in diseases, gang mentality, illiteracy and poverty. Perhaps if the "poll" had been worded differently (showing the facts) the response would be 95% for deportation. For the remaining 5%, perhaps that minority will support and educate and take full responsibility for these lawbreakers.

I am retired, too, and struggle to make ends meet on 35% of my former salary. All tapped out.
-You are exactly right, Annie!!! "Showing the facts" is exactly what is needed! PLEASE go to the thread regarding the march across America and Washington DC and POST your facts.

POST the reasons why these illegals must be deported, and ESPECIALLY from your point of view with your personal struggles.

We're all trying to make ends meet...and I'll bet you that once these "low information" voters ARE INFORMED, they will change their minds!

Please, folks, let's educate our country by participating in this!!! We need a collective voice of reason!!!

Thanks, Dandiday
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2014, 06:59 PM
 
31,921 posts, read 14,699,387 times
Reputation: 8514
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandiDay View Post
Great information, as usual, Happy Texan. From all I've read, especially from the economists at the Heritage Foundation, these immigrants usually do stay on the welfare roles once they become legal citizens. Or, they receive it as well as other aid through their children (refugees) or anchor babies.
Would you consider posting some of your "top complaints" about illegals with your sources, such as these, on the nation-wide protest thread? We need a compilation of such stats and sources for those who want to join in the protest (signs, interviews, and such), or for the "low information" people as noted in the other posts.




-Yes, my grandparents told me of this experience. In fact, once "approved" for entry, people had to strip down to be "de-liced"...a quite undignified procedure. A worker dipped a mop-type device into a bucket of solution, and slopped it all over and under on each of the LEGAL immigrants standing in line.



- There can be an emergency bill to address this, if I'm not mistaken. Or, can't "O" take executive action on this with a stroke of the pen? It's obvious from the swarms of illegals coming in that this was a mistake...intended or not. It's time to "plug the leak".




-Which is exactly WHY there's the march across the nation next week...to raise awareness and fight not only Washington and "O", but to render information to the "misinformed" (see post below, too.) I'm sure that these people have compassion for who they think are mostly children (47% so far, are really not...they're either older teens, or young men posing as teens. Gang members, etc.).

We really have to speak up now, and provide this information to our fellow "uninformed" or "uneducated" citizens.



-You are exactly right, Annie!!! "Showing the facts" is exactly what is needed! PLEASE go to the thread regarding the march across America and Washington DC and POST your facts.

POST the reasons why these illegals must be deported, and ESPECIALLY from your point of view with your personal struggles.

We're all trying to make ends meet...and I'll bet you that once these "low information" voters ARE INFORMED, they will change their minds!

Please, folks, let's educate our country by participating in this!!! We need a collective voice of reason!!!

Thanks, Dandiday
I have some liberal relatives and no matter what facts I throw at them including stats of what illegals are costing their particular states they just ignore it and pull the compassion card. Of course they are also Democrats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2014, 07:13 PM
 
Location: Wisconsin
20,872 posts, read 41,677,496 times
Reputation: 14100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I have some liberal relatives and no matter what facts I throw at them including stats of what illegals are costing their particular states they just ignore it and pull the compassion card. Of course they are also Democrats.
Frustrating, isn't it?

Too bad each and every one of them isn't required to FORK OVER - today - each and every day - the $350/day it costs to keep just ONE of these "refugees" in one of these detention centers. (this figure was cited on C-Span a few days ago)

What say your relatives each sponsor one - to the tune of $10,500 (30 x $350) a month?

At the end of 30 days, exactly how compassionate will they be then??

You might ask them that.

Or, take five or ten into their very own homes to feed, clothe, educate.

Since charity begins at home - THEIR homes would be the perfect place for them to demonstrate "compassion."

Yeah, right. Talk is also cheap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2014, 03:13 AM
 
Location: San Antonio Texas
11,435 posts, read 15,994,016 times
Reputation: 5224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Frustrating, isn't it?

Too bad each and every one of them isn't required to FORK OVER - today - each and every day - the $350/day it costs to keep just ONE of these "refugees" in one of these detention centers. (this figure was cited on C-Span a few days ago)

What say your relatives each sponsor one - to the tune of $10,500 (30 x $350) a month?

At the end of 30 days, exactly how compassionate will they be then??

You might ask them that.

Or, take five or ten into their very own homes to feed, clothe, educate.

Since charity begins at home - THEIR homes would be the perfect place for them to demonstrate "compassion."

Yeah, right. Talk is also cheap.
$350 per day?!!! Why so much? They should just throw them into Detroit and let them fend for themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top