U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-07-2014, 06:06 PM
 
11,501 posts, read 5,515,070 times
Reputation: 9874

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Agreed, however sometimes they lie to you before they are elected and change their stances afterwards. The known flip-floppers in politics.
Quite correct, Oldglory. For example, when one of my senators was the governor, he signed into law some legislation that was anti-illegal alien. I was impressed that a democrat would do this so when he ran for senator, he got our votes. Now that he's a senator, he is all for the nightmare of a so-called "immigration reform" bill. I've written to him about this and all I get is a letter from him telling me how important it is to pass this piece of garbage

I'm sorry I voted for him and really feel duped If he runs for re-election, he won't get my vote.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-08-2014, 11:04 PM
 
3,031 posts, read 2,865,445 times
Reputation: 3367
Certainly not everyone hires illegals even if they are living in So. Cal., certainly not everyone hires someone to do their house chores, but many many do and they are interwoven in fabric of the workforce.
If you've gone out to dinner at any point, there's a good chance someone from South of the Border cooked your food. And of course many are not illegal, especially if they got amnesty in the '80's.

I was all for that amnesty at the time. I was a young woman working in a restaurant, and the busboys and dishwashers and many of the cooks were Spanish and very good workers.
There was one young man who I was especially rooting for. He was taking night classes, and always asking me how to "say it in English". I was very happy for him when amnesty passed.

But something changed... after that job I had a baby and was a stay at home mom for a while. 10 years later after some other part time work, I decided to get another waitress job, and it was... odd. Some of the cooks were surprised, when I told them no "habla espanol". One jerk actually sniped at me that I should have learned Spanish by now if I worked in restaurants! Okay, that made me mad!

Then another 10 years later, I'm working in a casual restaurant in a fancy neighborhood, and I was one of three native English speakers! There used to be a policy in the restaurant of English only in the front of the house. That's restaurant speak for "the dining room" and work areas where customers could hear us. Eventually, it was hopeless, and no one enforced the rule. I was surrounded by Spanish. It annoyed the customers as well, and many of my co workers pretty much grew up in the U.S. since a child and some even born here. BUT they live in an 80 percent hispanic community. Everyone speaks Spanish.

Let me say something to be clear...
I would feel no different if we were being overwhelmed by people of my own ancestral home of Finland, the place where there are more blue eyed people anywhere on earth!
If there were suddenly thousands upon thousands of Finnish people suddenly appearing, standing on street corners, walking around with baby strollers with 3 or 4 other kids tagging along, knowing I was paying for all those kids, taking benefits, flying the blue and white flag, etc. etc.
If they were taking over the restaurant industry and they were just talking among themselves in Finnish...

Se olisi niin ärsyttävää!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2014, 11:38 PM
 
3,031 posts, read 2,865,445 times
Reputation: 3367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Most "regular" Americans don't have maids or illegal babysitters, they clean their own houses, mow and weed their own lawns and cook their own food. They aren't the ones creating jobs for illegal aliens.
Yet.

Never underestimate the power of someone wanting to save a buck. Just the other day someone in my apartment complex offered to detail my car for 20 bucks! He had a van with all the equipment and everything. It's a steal. (I resisted! LOL!)

I grew up in LA where I was used to diversity. When I moved to Orange County in the 80's it was so "white" it was eerie... just like my friend in Wisconsin told me 10 years ago, I saw (assumed) illegals here and there in front of home depot, washing dishes at restaurants etc.

Problem is I do like diversity, but diversity doesn't mean 90 percent Hispanic either.

One of the things that happened of course is the Catholic religion that teaches no birth control. Combine that with politicians and advocates that teach how to get benefits, and there's a perfect storm.

My friend in Wisconsin is stopping at one child. A very strong trend in this country. I think I read more people have pets than children these days. At the restaurant where I worked it was always a baby boom. 5 of my co workers were under 25 with 2-4 kids, and yes, getting "subsidized". And since that culture is moving to other states, it will be a baby boom there.

Now... there will be good well meaning, hard working entrepreneurial Hispanics opening up a shop with the best Mexican food you ever tasted, and someone will get a car wash going. And like most businesses they will get customers. Their cousins and brothers etc. etc. will be working there under the table right after getting off the bus from Santa Ana.

Someone I used to work with got amnesty in the 80s, so he's an older man now. Real sweet guy. One of his brothers moved up to Boise, Idaho. He went to visit and said it was so beautiful up there he's thinking of moving there. So maybe word gets out, a few family members follow, then they call their family in Mexico... yada yada...

My advice to my friend in Wisconsin... make sure your son learns Spanish!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2014, 11:49 PM
 
Location: San Antonio Texas
11,435 posts, read 15,949,388 times
Reputation: 5224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
Certainly not everyone hires illegals even if they are living in So. Cal., certainly not everyone hires someone to do their house chores, but many many do and they are interwoven in fabric of the workforce.
If you've gone out to dinner at any point, there's a good chance someone from South of the Border cooked your food. And of course many are not illegal, especially if they got amnesty in the '80's.

I was all for that amnesty at the time. I was a young woman working in a restaurant, and the busboys and dishwashers and many of the cooks were Spanish and very good workers.
There was one young man who I was especially rooting for. He was taking night classes, and always asking me how to "say it in English". I was very happy for him when amnesty passed.

But something changed... after that job I had a baby and was a stay at home mom for a while. 10 years later after some other part time work, I decided to get another waitress job, and it was... odd. Some of the cooks were surprised, when I told them no "habla espanol". One jerk actually sniped at me that I should have learned Spanish by now if I worked in restaurants! Okay, that made me mad!

Then another 10 years later, I'm working in a casual restaurant in a fancy neighborhood, and I was one of three native English speakers! There used to be a policy in the restaurant of English only in the front of the house. That's restaurant speak for "the dining room" and work areas where customers could hear us. Eventually, it was hopeless, and no one enforced the rule. I was surrounded by Spanish. It annoyed the customers as well, and many of my co workers pretty much grew up in the U.S. since a child and some even born here. BUT they live in an 80 percent hispanic community. Everyone speaks Spanish.

Let me say something to be clear...
I would feel no different if we were being overwhelmed by people of my own ancestral home of Finland, the place where there are more blue eyed people anywhere on earth!
If there were suddenly thousands upon thousands of Finnish people suddenly appearing, standing on street corners, walking around with baby strollers with 3 or 4 other kids tagging along, knowing I was paying for all those kids, taking benefits, flying the blue and white flag, etc. etc.
If they were taking over the restaurant industry and they were just talking among themselves in Finnish...

Se olisi niin ärsyttävää!
That was very well written.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2014, 11:54 PM
 
Location: OCEAN BREEZES AND VIEWS SAN CLEMENTE
19,899 posts, read 15,293,898 times
Reputation: 6451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Agreed, however sometimes they lie to you before they are elected and change their stances afterwards. The known flip-floppers in politics.
Hate to say this, but I think something is in a politicians blood. They lie thru their teeth before being elected, have the smiles, and fancy words, and sound darn good. A good portion of them do change their stances afterwards, by now we should all learn our lessons.

I would say in this case, Obama is quite the flip-flopper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2014, 06:59 AM
 
31,519 posts, read 14,580,770 times
Reputation: 8388
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
Yet.

Never underestimate the power of someone wanting to save a buck. Just the other day someone in my apartment complex offered to detail my car for 20 bucks! He had a van with all the equipment and everything. It's a steal. (I resisted! LOL!)

I grew up in LA where I was used to diversity. When I moved to Orange County in the 80's it was so "white" it was eerie... just like my friend in Wisconsin told me 10 years ago, I saw (assumed) illegals here and there in front of home depot, washing dishes at restaurants etc.

Problem is I do like diversity, but diversity doesn't mean 90 percent Hispanic either.

One of the things that happened of course is the Catholic religion that teaches no birth control. Combine that with politicians and advocates that teach how to get benefits, and there's a perfect storm.

My friend in Wisconsin is stopping at one child. A very strong trend in this country. I think I read more people have pets than children these days. At the restaurant where I worked it was always a baby boom. 5 of my co workers were under 25 with 2-4 kids, and yes, getting "subsidized". And since that culture is moving to other states, it will be a baby boom there.

Now... there will be good well meaning, hard working entrepreneurial Hispanics opening up a shop with the best Mexican food you ever tasted, and someone will get a car wash going. And like most businesses they will get customers. Their cousins and brothers etc. etc. will be working there under the table right after getting off the bus from Santa Ana.

Someone I used to work with got amnesty in the 80s, so he's an older man now. Real sweet guy. One of his brothers moved up to Boise, Idaho. He went to visit and said it was so beautiful up there he's thinking of moving there. So maybe word gets out, a few family members follow, then they call their family in Mexico... yada yada...

My advice to my friend in Wisconsin... make sure your son learns Spanish!
I guess I don't understand your icon of a "grin" about all of this. It's not a good thing. We know already what is happening and it is bankrupting our country. Why suggest that someone learn Spanish? We keep constantly being told that Latinos are assimilating to English. Is that just a lie then?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2014, 07:54 AM
 
Location: North Texas
23,603 posts, read 31,161,722 times
Reputation: 26673
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I guess I don't understand your icon of a "grin" about all of this. It's not a good thing. We know already what is happening and it is bankrupting our country. Why suggest that someone learn Spanish? We keep constantly being told that Latinos are assimilating to English. Is that just a lie then?
Pretty much.

Reminds me of a show I saw one time called "Flip This House." This couple was running a real estate investment business in San Antonio, and they regularly used what were probably illegal laborers on their flips since many did not speak English.

The couple were both Latino and the wife spoke Spanish (don't know if the husband did). They had a gringo project manager who they put in charge of running a flip for one episode of the show. He didn't speak Spanish (why should he). Bad things happened because he gave orders to the crew and they didn't follow them or did the wrong things because they couldn't understand him.

He was the one who got in trouble; the couple sent him to Spanish classes and told him that if he wanted to work in this industry, he had to learn Spanish in order to communicate with crews onsite.

This is where we're going y'all. It's just a single example of a very pervasive problem. I bet if I wrote a book called "Spanish For Landscaping" or "Spanish For Housework" that included phrases such as "Just pull the weeds from this bed here," "Please divide these cannas," or "Please clean the bathroom using bleach," I'd make millions.

I can speak Spanish and I understand it very well, but they don't teach THAT in school and I don't know how to tell someone those things in Spanish. I can order my sandwich at Subway in Spanish, though...and more often than not, I have to switch to Spanish when ordering. Grrrrrr.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2014, 09:50 AM
 
3,031 posts, read 2,865,445 times
Reputation: 3367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I guess I don't understand your icon of a "grin" about all of this. It's not a good thing. We know already what is happening and it is bankrupting our country. Why suggest that someone learn Spanish? We keep constantly being told that Latinos are assimilating to English. Is that just a lie then?
Well, it's like the old adage, you're either going to laugh or your going to cry.

I can't go around with mad face all the time. While I'm clearly against illegal immigration, and would never listen to a politician blather on about reform that doesn't include a fence at the border FIRST, I do live and work where there are a lot of Mexican people. I don't give people I suspect are illegals dirty looks, or throw things at them, or yell at them. (Yes, it happens) Probably the "snarkiest" thing I'll do if I'm working with them, or get to know them elsewhere is I'll ask with a wink and a smile, "So... what year did you sneak over?" Really, I do!

So on the Macro level, I don't vote for politicians that have "given up", and I have adopted more and more the "Do it yourself" lifestyle.
On the Micro level, I'm friendly with people I encounter, and most of my coworkers were swell, with the exception of a few, including non Hispanics.

BTW, even though there were plenty of young people where I worked who repeated the pattern of having babies they couldn't feed themselves, there were a few that broke away from that pattern. One older busser, sweet man, spoke very little English, and had a daughter who worked at the restaurant as a hostess. She spoke perfect English, had graduated an honor student at her high school and was entering a nursing program at the local college. She told me her dad was adamant about only having two children, and he was very strict about school. Unlike the other girls her age, she was not married and didn't have any children yet.

My favorite co worker, an individual who I got to know as a really great guy, snuck in long ago, (I asked, he told me) and was granted amnesty. He spoke with pride how he started as a dishwasher, then got promoted to cook, then he was a busboy and eventually became a server. He had the best work ethic and he could do anything. If we were really busy, he would get in the kitchen and help the cook while still doing it all in the dining room. He also only had two kids. He was old school and saw this country as a place where you could make your own fortune, not take advantage of it. He told me it sickened him to go to the market in his community and see women drive up with nice cars wearing nice jewelry and then pull out the food stamps! We often had interesting and frank conversations about the subject.

So bottom line I can walk and chew gum at the same time. If I couldn't I'd be grumpy all the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2014, 09:56 AM
 
16,705 posts, read 8,647,650 times
Reputation: 4691
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Quite correct, Oldglory. For example, when one of my senators was the governor, he signed into law some legislation that was anti-illegal alien. I was impressed that a democrat would do this so when he ran for senator, he got our votes. Now that he's a senator, he is all for the nightmare of a so-called "immigration reform" bill. I've written to him about this and all I get is a letter from him telling me how important it is to pass this piece of garbage

I'm sorry I voted for him and really feel duped If he runs for re-election, he won't get my vote.
I have to agree with your senator. It is vital for the Democrats to pass the amnesty bill.

Think about this, once those illegals become legal, that's 50+ million Democrat voters you are talking about. With that many votes, Democrats will secure all the political power for the years to come.

As for the country and its people, you may ask? To hell with them!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2014, 10:14 AM
 
3,031 posts, read 2,865,445 times
Reputation: 3367
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Pretty much.

Reminds me of a show I saw one time called "Flip This House." This couple was running a real estate investment business in San Antonio, and they regularly used what were probably illegal laborers on their flips since many did not speak English.

The couple were both Latino and the wife spoke Spanish (don't know if the husband did). They had a gringo project manager who they put in charge of running a flip for one episode of the show. He didn't speak Spanish (why should he). Bad things happened because he gave orders to the crew and they didn't follow them or did the wrong things because they couldn't understand him.

He was the one who got in trouble; the couple sent him to Spanish classes and told him that if he wanted to work in this industry, he had to learn Spanish in order to communicate with crews onsite.

This is where we're going y'all. It's just a single example of a very pervasive problem. I bet if I wrote a book called "Spanish For Landscaping" or "Spanish For Housework" that included phrases such as "Just pull the weeds from this bed here," "Please divide these cannas," or "Please clean the bathroom using bleach," I'd make millions.

I can speak Spanish and I understand it very well, but they don't teach THAT in school and I don't know how to tell someone those things in Spanish. I can order my sandwich at Subway in Spanish, though...and more often than not, I have to switch to Spanish when ordering. Grrrrrr.
True that...
In my experience, most of the younger ones are bilingual, and that will be an advantage for them in the work place in general.
In heavily Hispanic communities they also go to banks, restaurants, pet shops, barbers, etc. etc. but since everyone speaks Spanish, many don't feel it's necessary to learn English.

This of course was true in many ethnic neighborhoods back in the day, but there was a very different attitude. They weren't pandered to as much and they were from several different countries, making the melting pot. Did they have voting ballots in Polish, Italian, Finnish? Not so sure about that.

BTW, here's a funny thing that happened while at the restaurant I last worked at. Most of the workers were Hispanic, most of the guests were Caucasian, in white collar jobs or retired and an affluent area.
This one older white guy sits down and I approach him. He starts greeting me in Spanish. Hola, ¿cómo estás?
Now I'm a middle aged white chick with blond hair and blue eyes, and I'd recently been told by my Filipino manager that I was very "ethnic" looking... in the Nordic sense! lol!
So I just put my hand on my hip, looked at the guy and said, "Reeeeaaally???" He just started cracking up! He was caught! Ha ha!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top