U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 12-20-2007, 03:45 AM
 
Location: The world, where will fate take me this time?
3,162 posts, read 10,303,557 times
Reputation: 1423

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozark-Baby View Post
Can't seem to stay away from the wicked in this group since there are so many. I am sure you know what I mean.

BTW, I don't hate and I am not evil but pro-illegal people are evil and show a hate toward their own country.
Some must be for sure, but it's had to put them all in the same basket, also who's pro illegal, and who's anti illegal but pro open borders? it's hard to make classifications
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-20-2007, 07:35 AM
 
4,828 posts, read 6,795,208 times
Reputation: 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
It is a very fortunate thing that you are talking to me and not my husband.



http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/4440332.html

Then-Comptroller Carole Keeton Strayhorn recently issued a report saying illegal immigrants are worth at least $17.7 billion to the state's economy. She said the taxes they pay cover the cost of state services, but she also said they are a drain of about $929 million on local governments, mostly because of the costs associated with indigent health care.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
So tell me how they are draining the economy if they bring in 17.7 billion and they take away 929 million? Even if they take away 3.3 billion it doesn't compare to the 17.7 billion they bring in does it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2007, 07:43 AM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,646,709 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
Then-Comptroller Carole Keeton Strayhorn recently issued a report saying illegal immigrants are worth at least $17.7 billion to the state's economy. She said the taxes they pay cover the cost of state services, but she also said they are a drain of about $929 million on local governments, mostly because of the costs associated with indigent health care.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
So tell me how they are draining the economy if they bring in 17.7 billion and they take away 929 million? Even if they take away 3.3 billion it doesn't compare to the 17.7 billion they bring in does it?
Bottom line:

They are illegal and need to be gone post haste---------once one major law is broken; others tend to be disobeyed in quick succession.

Let one of us Gringos try to pull that crap SOB-------the Mexican authorities would lock us up and and throw away the key------as they have the right to do so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2007, 09:57 AM
 
3,712 posts, read 5,714,475 times
Reputation: 1285
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
Then-Comptroller Carole Keeton Strayhorn recently issued a report saying illegal immigrants are worth at least $17.7 billion to the state's economy. She said the taxes they pay cover the cost of state services, but she also said they are a drain of about $929 million on local governments, mostly because of the costs associated with indigent health care.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
So tell me how they are draining the economy if they bring in 17.7 billion and they take away 929 million? Even if they take away 3.3 billion it doesn't compare to the 17.7 billion they bring in does it?
This is comparing apples and oranges. They may be 'worth' $17.7 billion to the Texas economy but that $17.7 billion does not translate into payments to hospitals that are left holding the bag for care to illegal aliens. The $929 million is a shortfall that will either have to be covered by raising prices for everybody who does pay, written off as charity care or covered by funds from the state or fed gov. And guess who those funds come from? The US taxpayer. Perhaps you can explain why US citizens should have our money co-opted to pay the medical bills of people who should not be here in the first place?

The 'benefits' of illegal immigration are enjoyed by one group- the employers who hire them and the consumers of their services. Yet their costs are shouldered by everybody else.

Last edited by andreabeth; 12-20-2007 at 10:22 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2007, 10:11 AM
 
Location: The Rock!
2,370 posts, read 6,859,868 times
Reputation: 803
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
The 'benefits' of illegal immigration are enjoyed by one group- the employers who hire them and the consumers of their services. Yet their costs are shouldered by the everybody else.
*nods head*
People buying new construction homes during the past 10 years certainly didn't get any trickle-down benefit from the illegal labor used in construction that's for sure! The builder's took all that to the bank themselves!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2007, 10:15 AM
 
1,861 posts, read 2,969,682 times
Reputation: 559
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow73 View Post
*nods head*
People buying new construction homes during the past 10 years certainly didn't get any trickle-down benefit from the illegal labor used in construction that's for sure! The builder's took all that to the bank themselves!
Yeah, believe me, the American citizen (so-called "consumer") does not get a benefit in lower prices - the corporations take that in PROFITS. They always tell us, "oh, we'll pay higher for things without those illegals" - that's pure BS because the "extra" money goes in the company's own pockets.

What - they think we're stupid? Do I care if lettuce is 5 cents more/head? NO, I'd rather have American workers. And, MOST of the money "saved" by hiring illegals would not go to ME.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2007, 10:23 AM
 
Location: The Rock!
2,370 posts, read 6,859,868 times
Reputation: 803
Quote:
Originally Posted by cousinsal View Post
Yeah, believe me, the American citizen (so-called "consumer") does not get a benefit in lower prices - the corporations take that in PROFITS. They always tell us, "oh, we'll pay higher for things without those illegals" - that's pure BS because the "extra" money goes in the company's own pockets.

What - they think we're stupid? Do I care if lettuce is 5 cents more/head? NO, I'd rather have American workers. And, MOST of the money "saved" by hiring illegals would not go to ME.

Well, I personally think we will wind up paying higher prices when and if we get this illegal immigrant mess worked out. The corporations and shareholders are used to a certain profit margins and they still have to pay those outrageous CEO salaries so they'll adjust prices to maintain status quo.

I hate to say it but, this whole issue taxes a free market conservative's last nerve. On the one hand, we can't bear the thought of regulating pricing or how a company does business but at the same time I'm certainly wise enough to know that the American consumer is going to have to be protected from predatory pricing just so a company can maintain a "standard of living" it knew whilst hiring people it should never have had working for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2007, 11:40 AM
 
4,828 posts, read 6,795,208 times
Reputation: 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
This is comparing apples and oranges. They may be 'worth' $17.7 billion to the Texas economy but that $17.7 billion does not translate into payments to hospitals that are left holding the bag for care to illegal aliens. The $929 million is a shortfall that will either have to be covered by raising prices for everybody who does pay, written off as charity care or covered by funds from the state or fed gov. And guess who those funds come from? The US taxpayer. Perhaps you can explain why US citizens should have our money co-opted to pay the medical bills of people who should not be here in the first place?

The 'benefits' of illegal immigration are enjoyed by one group- the employers who hire them and the consumers of their services. Yet their costs are shouldered by everybody else.
As long as the 17.7 billion goes in the economy, YOU BENEFIT from it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2007, 11:55 AM
 
16,092 posts, read 35,806,429 times
Reputation: 6264
blacknight where do you live? I don't think Strayhorn counted the cost of education. In my district we spents $1.4 billion to build new classrooms 2-3 years ago, and now they want $2.3 billion to build more - and this is just one district!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2007, 12:13 PM
 
3,712 posts, read 5,714,475 times
Reputation: 1285
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
As long as the 17.7 billion goes in the economy, YOU BENEFIT from it.
How do I benefit from hospitals and ERs that end up collapsing under the weight of illegal's unpaid medical bills? How do I benefit from financially strapped school districts that are now forced to provide expensive ESL and remedial services to students who are in the country illegally? How do I benefit from the increased presence of hispanic gangs, esp. MS-13 who should be considered a death squad rather than a gang? How do I benefit from having my tax dollars go to pay for publication of gov documents in multiple languages (mainly Spanish) because certain individuals have decided they do not care to bother learning English? How do I benefit from being forced to pay for interpreters for the same people?
I am sure others can come up with many other 'benefits' that the average US citizen supposedly reaps from having illegals here.
Whatever benefit they provide to the economy is more than offset by the decreased quality of life experienced by people who have to deal with the invasion on a daily basis. Try explaining to an American who has been forced to flee the neighborhood they have lived in for decades because of 'clown houses' that they are deriving some great benefit from illegal aliens in the US.

And in the final analysis, it matters not one whit what their supposed contributions are- they are not supposed to be here. They are here in violation of US immigration law. They need to leave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top