U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2014, 02:34 PM

32,024 posts, read 14,783,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme305 View Post
No it won't. You need to be realistic. What the GOP offers as its overall platform is just abysmal, and it's not something that will appeal to the electorate. I dislike Hillary Clinton for a number of reasons, but I can admit that she's got the 2016 election in the bag. The GOP is generally seen as "anti-women", "anti-minorities", "anti-gay", and "out of touch".
The GOP is seen that way simply because of the Democrat propaganda machine. Most of them aren't anti any of those things you mentioned.

Last edited by Oldglory; 07-07-2014 at 03:18 PM.. Reason: spelling error
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2014, 03:09 PM

5,476 posts, read 4,620,888 times
I think a lot of it will depend on how this overwhelming border invasion plays out in the next few years. Also, it will depend on what state the voters is from. Someone in Montana most likely won't be affected by the illegal immigrant problem and that issue may not be a deciding factor in who they vote for. Whereas someone from AZ or TX is living with it daily, and they will vote for someone whose plans line up with their own beliefs as to what should be done.

Old 07-07-2014, 09:10 PM

2,687 posts, read 1,777,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Are you posting from a LULAC office or something? No one I know agrees with what you claim. No one.
Polls > people you know.

Old 07-07-2014, 09:27 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,184,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Votre_Chef View Post
Polls > people you know.

We've posted the polls. We've posted the comments about the thousands of comments on EVERY article about illegal aliens. Yet you refuse to open your eyes. What's funny is anyone with an IQ higher than two digits sees how wrong you are, yet you just refuse to accept it. LOL.

I'll tell you what though. Post your address offering your home to illegal aliens and I'll believe that you really care about them. Because right now you just seem like one of the other bleeding heart liberals who want them here, just not in their own back yard. So put up son. Let's see it. Put your money where your mouth is tough guy.

Old 07-07-2014, 09:28 PM

20,310 posts, read 18,965,498 times
Quote:
Polls > people you know.
Polls? Like ones that predicted that Romney would win?
Wording and targeted areas dictate results. Agenda dictate results. Sorry but I for one don't have a lot of faith in polls. They limit options, they wording causes the person to choose between ideas they may or may not agree with. Designed confusion, for example asking questions about immigrants in general then slipping to illegals. Then of course you have the Obama spin machine spewing half truths and misrepresenting facts in regards to illegals. Nah polls mean very little.

Old 07-07-2014, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicket View Post
No such thing as an "actual poll." Almost all polls are biased, particularly the ones commissioned by the Republican media that say Americans are for amnesty. Their constituents like Tyson Foods are for it, but if you're a regular citizen not so much.
So in other words, polls don't have the answers you like, so you'll disregard them, got it. Must be nice to create your own reality.

Quote:
LOL!! Ask Eric Cantor about that. And read the comment section on any article about amnesty. The American people are overwhelmingly against any sort of amnesty and want these people gone.

Excuses excuses. 12% isn't actually a bad voter turnout for a mid-term election. He took the election very seriously, including pandering to Hispanic voters, who didn't bother turning out for him because they are Democrats.

Already dealt with this. Why is Cantor's losing in a very right wing district with a low turnout significant, but Graham's statewide victory (and higher turnout than the Cantor primary) not significant?

Quote:
I'm not sure on this. Democrats could have easily passed a DREAM Act or some other form of amnesty when they controlled the house between 2007-11 but did not do so. Republicans as a whole aren't smart but no one beyond Cantor has stuck his neck out on it, and his got chopped off. So I don't know how important the issue is beyond a few special interests -- business benefiting from the cheap subsidized labor and a few Dems willing to put a big voting pool ahead of the good of the Nation.
You're backing off the op's original point while ostensibly supporting it (by arguing with my taking issue with it).

But it's fairly simple, so I'll go over it again.

1. The legit, mainstream polls aren't all wrong (please tell me someone here remembers 2012).

2. The CIS is a group that exists for the very purpose of providing propaganda (including it seems, bogus polls) to the anti-immigrant right. They are not a neutral, legit research organization that happens to focus on immigration (as the op tried to make it seem), they're an anti-immigrant think tank.

3. The Cantor loss is only meaningful if the Graham win is meaningful. The anti-immigrant crowd seems to see the Cantor loss as more of a watershed moment for them then they really should. The GOP establishment did far better than the GOP rebels/tea party candidates during this primary season thus far, and people seem to be forgetting that rather salient point.

4. Whether or not you see this as an important issue in 2016 or not, as long as the immigration issue hangs around, it's good for the Democrats, bad for the Republicans (even though there's a decent number of GOP politicians, especially in the Senate that are willing to move the issue forward).

Old 07-07-2014, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Polls? Like ones that predicted that Romney would win?
Wording and targeted areas dictate results. Agenda dictate results. Sorry but I for one don't have a lot of faith in polls. They limit options, they wording causes the person to choose between ideas they may or may not agree with. Designed confusion, for example asking questions about immigrants in general then slipping to illegals. Then of course you have the Obama spin machine spewing half truths and misrepresenting facts in regards to illegals. Nah polls mean very little.
Which polls predicted Romney would win? The ones that wishful thinking right wingers "unskewed?" The polls had Obama winning, Nate Silver said it was a done deal months before the election, and it was.

Old 07-07-2014, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tac-Sea View Post
We've posted the polls. We've posted the comments about the thousands of comments on EVERY article about illegal aliens. Yet you refuse to open your eyes. What's funny is anyone with an IQ higher than two digits sees how wrong you are, yet you just refuse to accept it. LOL.

I'll tell you what though. Post your address offering your home to illegal aliens and I'll believe that you really care about them. Because right now you just seem like one of the other bleeding heart liberals who want them here, just not in their own back yard. So put up son. Let's see it. Put your money where your mouth is tough guy.
Internet comment sections do not constitute a valid or legitimate scientific measurement of public opinion. Anyone with an IQ higher than two digits knows that mathematical fact.

Old 07-07-2014, 10:34 PM

Quote:
So in other words, polls don't have the answers you like, so you'll disregard them, got it. Must be nice to create your own reality.

Already dealt with this. Why is Cantor's losing in a very right wing district with a low turnout significant, but Graham's statewide victory (and higher turnout than the Cantor primary) not significant?

You're backing off the op's original point while ostensibly supporting it (by arguing with my taking issue with it).

But it's fairly simple, so I'll go over it again.

1. The legit, mainstream polls aren't all wrong (please tell me someone here remembers 2012).

2. The CIS is a group that exists for the very purpose of providing propaganda (including it seems, bogus polls) to the anti-immigrant right. They are not a neutral, legit research organization that happens to focus on immigration (as the op tried to make it seem), they're an anti-immigrant think tank.

3. The Cantor loss is only meaningful if the Graham win is meaningful. The anti-immigrant crowd seems to see the Cantor loss as more of a watershed moment for them then they really should. The GOP establishment did far better than the GOP rebels/tea party candidates during this primary season thus far, and people seem to be forgetting that rather salient point.

4. Whether or not you see this as an important issue in 2016 or not, as long as the immigration issue hangs around, it's good for the Democrats, bad for the Republicans (even though there's a decent number of GOP politicians, especially in the Senate that are willing to move the issue forward).
Anti immigrant or anti-illegal immigrant. There is a huge difference. You do know the difference right?
Bogus poll = Poll you disagree with?

Old 07-07-2014, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Which polls predicted Romney would win? The ones that wishful thinking right wingers "unskewed?" The polls had Obama winning, Nate Silver said it was a done deal months before the election, and it was.
This poll for example.
Romney 49%, Obama 48% in Gallup's Final Election Survey
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration