Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2014, 07:35 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,288,091 times

Advertisements

I highly doubt this will affect voters.
Americans have short memories and are easily swayed by "emotional social issues".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2014, 09:38 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,176,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Votre_Chef View Post
The Center for Immigration Studies is a right wing anti-immigrant group. Even the WSJ has come out against them and accused them of being set up by the anti-immigration Republicans to "give cover to Republicans who oppose immigration for other reasons"--Chris Cannon (R-UT) quoted in WSJ June 14th 2004

If you want to see actual polling by actual independent pollsters:

Immigration

Or you can cling to your fantasy and be shocked and surprised when the GOP gets crushed in 2016. Your choice.
Anti immigration or anti illegal immigration? I have read many articles by CIS and don't find them to be anti-immigrant at all. CIS has actually put out quite a few helpful links to immigrants about the steps required to apply for a VISA and the following paper work.
Now the left does label anyone who is anti illegal as being anti-immigrant. My wife is a legal immigrant and we wait for her daughter to get her VISA approved. I assure you I am 100% pro immigration. I am also 100% anti-illegal immigration. A candidates stand on illegal immigration will be a deal breaker for my vote, even if I agree with everything else they stand for.
The Obama spin machine I admit has been very effective in minimizing the impact illegals have on america. They paint illegals with a rainbow brush of happy, honest, hardworking people. The opposite is true. Illegals are criminals and should be treated as such.

Old 07-07-2014, 09:44 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,176,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I highly doubt this will affect voters.
Americans have short memories and are easily swayed by "emotional social issues".
You are 100% correct. Not to mention lazy voters who don't do their own home work. They prefer to believe what ever the party of choice tells them to believe. Case in point Obama. His many lies and misrepresented facts were glossed over by his promise of free stuff, class warfare, and I am one of you speeches.
The fact that he has kept very few of his promises is irrelevant. My party wrong or right hardliners will rule the day.
Illegal immigration. It can impact the election. If this surge continues unchecked and god forbid Americans start getting sick in large numbers, or crimes committed by illegals escalate it will impact the election.
The Obama spin machine is an effective machine. Quite possibly better than even Bill Clintons. We will see.

Old 07-07-2014, 09:46 AM

1,735 posts, read 1,764,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Anti immigration or anti illegal immigration? I have read many articles by CIS and don't find them to be anti-immigrant at all. CIS has actually put out quite a few helpful links to immigrants about the steps required to apply for a VISA and the following paper work.
Now the left does label anyone who is anti illegal as being anti-immigrant. My wife is a legal immigrant and we wait for her daughter to get her VISA approved. I assure you I am 100% pro immigration. I am also 100% anti-illegal immigration. A candidates stand on illegal immigration will be a deal breaker for my vote, even if I agree with everything else they stand for.
The Obama spin machine I admit has been very effective in minimizing the impact illegals have on america. They paint illegals with a rainbow brush of happy, honest, hardworking people. The opposite is true. Illegals are criminals and should be treated as such.
The poster you're responding to won't reply back. But if they'll just respond by calling you racist or some wingnut. I would just sit back and watch the show.

Old 07-07-2014, 10:11 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,378,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tac-Sea View Post
If you read the comments on news articles, there is a clear pattern of a vast majority being strongly against amnesty. Furthermore, most want the illegals out, and a border fence up.

Considering Cantors loss to a political newb, I can't help but wonder if the next President of the US will be whomever is against amnesty, and for deportation and putting up a border fence.

The decades of illegal immigratio has vastly changed the cultural landscape of the US, even as far north as Washington state. The vast majority of people I know are outraged. I can't help but wonder if in 2016, the Political landscape will shift and result in a mass exodus of illegals.
It will play a part, I am sure but still the votes will be split on the issue: Many legals who have lived here for generations or even decades are more opposed to amnesty than those some realize. I am talking people here illegally from Mexico and Central America. Those who waited their turn, learned English, didn't live off the government resent what is happening. I am thinking about people in NM, TX and AZ, those on the border states. But there are many who want their families to stay and they will do anything to help the illegals gain permanent residency.

There has to be some balance. Anyone who really thinks and pitches sending all illegals back to their country isn't going to be elected. We are a humane country, maybe too much so and most do not want to see families totally split up. It is hard to justify sending mom and dad back or worse grandma and granddad back and leaving kids behind.

First the fence needs to be built, then we need to work on making sure none get through. Of course anyone who has committed a crime other than entering the country illegally needs to be thrown over the fence so he/she will land of their you know whats back in their country.

Old 07-07-2014, 10:16 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,378,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Are you posting from a LULAC office or something? No one I know agrees with what you claim. No one.
Maybe he can tell us where he is getting his information and define "most" to me most would be 80% or at least 70% and then we would have to see what polls he is basing this on.

Old 07-07-2014, 10:30 AM

424 posts, read 466,332 times
Quote:
Comments on news articles is not scientific polling. Actual polls indicate that you're wrong and that's it's not as close as you'd like it to be.
No such thing as an "actual poll." Almost all polls are biased, particularly the ones commissioned by the Republican media that say Americans are for amnesty. Their constituents like Tyson Foods are for it, but if you're a regular citizen not so much.

Quote:

No they don't. Not only do most not want illegals out, most place blocking the border as less important than dealing with illegals already here (and most support a pathway to citizenship).
LOL!! Ask Eric Cantor about that. And read the comment section on any article about amnesty. The American people are overwhelmingly against any sort of amnesty and want these people gone.

Quote:

Cantor, who took his renomination for granted, lost in a heavily Republican district that saw a turnout of 12%. I'm not sure why that's more meaningful than a few days later when pro-reform Graham won handily across the entire state of South Carolina.
Excuses excuses. 12% isn't actually a bad voter turnout for a mid-term election. He took the election very seriously, including pandering to Hispanic voters, who didn't bother turning out for him because they are Democrats.

Quote:

The vast majority of people you know don't appear to reflect the views of the majority of Americans. But to answer your original question, yes, illegal immigration will have an effect on the 2016 election, it's one of the reasons the GOP has no chance to win.
I'm not sure on this. Democrats could have easily passed a DREAM Act or some other form of amnesty when they controlled the house between 2007-11 but did not do so. Republicans as a whole aren't smart but no one beyond Cantor has stuck his neck out on it, and his got chopped off. So I don't know how important the issue is beyond a few special interests -- business benefiting from the cheap subsidized labor and a few Dems willing to put a big voting pool ahead of the good of the Nation.

Old 07-07-2014, 10:56 AM

2,540 posts, read 2,744,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tac-Sea View Post
The decades of illegal immigratio has vastly changed the cultural landscape of the US, even as far north as Washington state. The vast majority of people I know are outraged. I can't help but wonder if in 2016, the Political landscape will shift and result in a mass exodus of illegals.
No it won't. You need to be realistic. What the GOP offers as its overall platform is just abysmal, and it's not something that will appeal to the electorate. I dislike Hillary Clinton for a number of reasons, but I can admit that she's got the 2016 election in the bag. The GOP is generally seen as "anti-women", "anti-minorities", "anti-gay", and "out of touch".

Old 07-07-2014, 11:28 AM

424 posts, read 466,332 times
As nice it would be to see that party stomped out of existence for good, not even I, a hardcore liberal, believe that would be a good thing. A "one party" government would be bad for all. What would take the GOP's place?

I also think you are either wishful thinking or naïve to think Hillary has it "in the bag." I don't even think she's the best choice for our party truthfully. 'Merica is not going to accept a limousine liberal woman as a U.S. President. No way. In 2008 it was different. People just wanted "hope and change." Now, there's also a lot of anger towards the Dems. Some is the immigration issue and the perception that our party is facilitating it (which is sickeningly ironic but it is what it is). Some is an economy which is still pretty much stagnant. Some is just plain 'ol bigotry.

The Republicans have kicked our butts on the whole in House and Senate races since 2011 (though we did pick up a little ground in '13). If they go with Hillary, we may be poised to lose the Presidency too.

Old 07-07-2014, 01:24 PM

62,693 posts, read 28,894,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
It will play a part, I am sure but still the votes will be split on the issue: Many legals who have lived here for generations or even decades are more opposed to amnesty than those some realize. I am talking people here illegally from Mexico and Central America. Those who waited their turn, learned English, didn't live off the government resent what is happening. I am thinking about people in NM, TX and AZ, those on the border states. But there are many who want their families to stay and they will do anything to help the illegals gain permanent residency.

There has to be some balance. Anyone who really thinks and pitches sending all illegals back to their country isn't going to be elected. We are a humane country, maybe too much so and most do not want to see families totally split up. It is hard to justify sending mom and dad back or worse grandma and granddad back and leaving kids behind.

First the fence needs to be built, then we need to work on making sure none get through. Of course anyone who has committed a crime other than entering the country illegally needs to be thrown over the fence so he/she will land of their you know whats back in their country.
Why do these people put their families above our immigration laws? What sort of citizens are they? No compromise and there is nothing inhumane about making sure illegals leave our country either voluntarily or involuntarily. Someone's personal selfish desires don't count in my book. Their families need to follow the legal immigration path just like other legal immigrants do by returning to their nation of origin not handed amnesty. If the citizen relatives don't want to be separated from them then they can leave with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration