U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2014, 08:49 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,813,362 times

Advertisements

I am glad you started this thread. She would be very pleased. It warms my heart to read the posts, as she was like a sister to me. We met 8 years ago on another forum, and developed a wonderful bond.

I will take the liberty to mention something Tinman did not. Knowing her, she would say, "Girl, you better set the record straight. Tell them I was also PurpleRain. Give me my props." Talk about a character!

She was feisty, and often misunderstood. But, to know her was to love her. She had a wonderful sense of humor, and a heart of gold. She conquered many obstacles with dignity and grace. If you knew her life story, irrespective of your opinion of her on this forum, you would give her kudos for a job well done.

Granted, she had a tendency to become a little rambunctious at times. But, that was just Bonita.

Rest in Peace, my sister. We had a blast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2014, 08:56 PM

3,847 posts, read 3,162,024 times
Rest in Peace and may you know that others have took up the cause!

Old 07-07-2014, 09:03 PM

20,310 posts, read 18,884,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
I am glad you started this thread. She would be very pleased. It warms my heart to read the posts, as she was like a sister to me. We met 8 years ago on another forum, and developed a wonderful bond.

I will take the liberty to mention something Tinman did not. Knowing her, she would say, "Girl, you better set the record straight. Tell them I was also PurpleRain. Give me my props." Talk about a character!

She was feisty, and often misunderstood. But, to know her was to love her. She had a wonderful sense of humor, and a heart of gold. She conquered many obstacles with dignity and grace. If you knew her life story, irrespective of your opinion of her on this forum, you would give her kudos for a job well done.

Granted, she had a tendency to become a little rambunctious at times. But, that was just Bonita.

Like you I had the opportunity to know her off line. We didn't always agree and at 1 point had a pretty good knock down. Allow me to share part of her history.
As a child she marched with her grandmother and was hosed down by the fire department.
She grew up in poverty and worked her way out of poverty to hold some pretty impressive jobs.
She was a single mother who raised her son to be more than a statistic. He went to school at Lake Forest Academy. He earned it through academic achievement. After Lake Forest he went to college and on to serve in the Air Force. Not bad for a single mom who came from nothing.
She never took a dime of welfare and in fact detested the idea of forcing her burden upon others.
I didn't always agree with Bonita, we had great laughs together and some tense moments. She was feisty and ready to debate any topic. There was no surrender in the woman. LOL she was the first and only black woman to call me negro.
Rest in Peace and may your next life be more rewarding than your past life.

Old 07-07-2014, 09:23 PM

14,969 posts, read 13,766,418 times
She really welcomed me to the Illegal Immigration forum when I first started posting more than 5 years ago (at that time, it was called the Immigration forum).

Rest in peace.

My condolences to her family and friends.

Old 07-08-2014, 11:47 PM

20,310 posts, read 18,884,971 times
I would like to thank everyone for their posts. Bonita would be happy that she impacted so many people. She was no saint and we often disagreed, but I think it is fair to say that there was much to respect about her. She had strong convictions and beliefs. This comes from growing up poor and black, or poor and white, or poor and brown. Those who have had to work through adversity tend to have strong opinions based upon hard lessons in life. She had a soft spot for disabled children and the elderly. She was a woman who believed in helping those who can't help themselves. More than that she believed in America and fought for America like bear fights for her cubs. Like her or hate her she was always for real. Once again thank you for all the kind words and respect.

Old 07-09-2014, 11:07 AM

3,074 posts, read 3,336,186 times
I remember her well. My condolences to her family.

Old 07-09-2014, 11:53 AM

16,724 posts, read 13,676,345 times
"Rest in Peace and may your next life be more rewarding than your past life." Well said.

Old 07-09-2014, 02:51 PM

1,856 posts, read 2,026,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post

Hi Benicar,

My heart is heavy hearing this news.

As you know, I missed Bonita (glad to have a real name) when she was booted off CD. I really don't know why I did not connect her to PurpleRain.... sigh

Life is so short, but the friends we make along the way make the journey so pleasant.

May Bonita rest in peace. My thoughts are with her family...especially her son.

Old 07-14-2014, 10:15 PM

706 posts, read 796,204 times
Sorry to hear of JDUBS passing. She was an original and one of those who first drew me to the forum. If you didn't agree with her then she was a worthy adversary. If you agreed with her point of view, then it was nice to know that She was on your side. It was good to know that She "had Your back"..

We lost a good one.

Borderlord.

Old 07-14-2014, 10:48 PM

2,847 posts, read 1,851,024 times
JDUBS was a worthy opponent or an ally. Read her posts for years. Will miss her and her input.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or