U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2014, 08:17 PM

11,485 posts, read 5,507,878 times

Advertisements

Thank you for sharing your story, rob3gd. Sadly, these days, it's a common one

I think it's very wrong to expect people to be bilingual. Not that I'm against learning another language but the second language we choose to learn should be our choice.

We are providing everything written in Spanish and it's being done for people who have no business being here. The irony is that many illegals are illiterate so writing something in Spanish for them is a waste of time and money.

When my grandparents brought my father and his siblings from Puerto Rico to New York, no one in the family spoke English. There was no signage for them in Spanish---and unlike the illegals, Puerto Ricans are American citizens. Yet they all learned English and there was no bilingual education in the schools back then.

Americans of all races, religions and ethnicities are being hurt by illegal immigration. Yet our elected officials put illegal aliens first and foremost

Old 07-10-2014, 08:30 PM

31,476 posts, read 14,565,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob3gd View Post
I'm a Black American and let me tell you my story.

I grew up I South Central Los Angeles and Illegal immigration destroyed historically black neighborhoods and made it hard for our inner city residence who already struggles with oppression and discrimination. They took away the jobs that we could only get and then in turn, discriminate by not hiring blacks in their businesses. I remember when I was 15 years old and was looking for a summer job. There were always flyers around recruiting teens, but the flyers said "bilingual only." I felt really bad because my family was poor and because I only spoke my native language, I couldn't even find summer employment. It wasn't fair to only hire "bilingual teens" for summer jobs, that's wasn't fair.

I also lost a job working for Payless. Half of the customers were illegal and when I tried to make my sale quotas, I couldn't because of the lack of communication. After a few months, I was let go because of my "job performance" even though I excelled with English speakers. I was also harassed by my manager over the same thing while I worked at Sears and my job was in jeopardy there too.

I was also held back in kindergarten in the 1990's. Because of the mass influx of illegals and them having the right to a free public education, they took away resources and destroyed the LAUSD educational system. My parents told me that I was held back because when I first started, the teacher was only paying attention to the non-English speaking students, who comprised of a majority of the students. They even said that the school suggested that I had mental problems. My parents then put me into another school and made sure that there were a majority of English speakers there. When I repeated kindergarten, I excelled in school and even spent the rest of my k-12 education in the gifted and magnet programs. Thanks to illegal immigration coming into out neighborhoods, the quality of life became worse and I even almost lost out on a proper education thanks to illegals taking away our resources.

I was held back in kindergarten in 1990
I know what you are saying is true as to the negative impact to black Americans that illegal immigration is. However, there aren't many blacks willing to take a stance against illegal immigration. Please share with us why you think that is? If whites and blacks joined ranks on this issue we'd have this problem solved in no time.

Old 07-10-2014, 08:46 PM

55,237 posts, read 72,402,860 times
very smart people.
social engineering
exposed
i have been preaching about this on cdf since 2007 and now people are seeing it.

Old 07-10-2014, 09:09 PM

2,084 posts, read 2,447,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Well she isn't the most eloquent speaker, but I understand why she is so angry. As a nation we only have so many resources to help those in need. People are suffering all over the country, and their needs should come before those who have entered the country illegally. In other words, if the ship is going down and the life boat only has room for 10, we can't just throw on 20 people.

Quote:

I grew up I South Central Los Angeles and Illegal immigration destroyed historically black neighborhoods and made it hard for our inner city residence who already struggles with oppression and discrimination. They took away the jobs that we could only get and then in turn, discriminate by not hiring blacks in their businesses. I remember when I was 15 years old and was looking for a summer job. There were always flyers around recruiting teens, but the flyers said "bilingual only." I felt really bad because my family was poor and because I only spoke my native language, I couldn't even find summer employment. It wasn't fair to only hire "bilingual teens" for summer jobs, that's wasn't fair.

I also lost a job working for Payless. Half of the customers were illegal and when I tried to make my sale quotas, I couldn't because of the lack of communication. After a few months, I was let go because of my "job performance" even though I excelled with English speakers. I was also harassed by my manager over the same thing while I worked at Sears and my job was in jeopardy there too.

I was also held back in kindergarten in the 1990's. Because of the mass influx of illegals and them having the right to a free public education, they took away resources and destroyed the LAUSD educational system. My parents told me that I was held back because when I first started, the teacher was only paying attention to the non-English speaking students, who comprised of a majority of the students. They even said that the school suggested that I had mental problems. My parents then put me into another school and made sure that there were a majority of English speakers there. When I repeated kindergarten, I excelled in school and even spent the rest of my k-12 education in the gifted and magnet programs. Thanks to illegal immigration coming into out neighborhoods, the quality of life became worse and I even almost lost out on a proper education thanks to illegals taking away our resources.

^That sounds so much like Texas. I know a few people who have been passed up on jobs because they can't speak Spanish.

Last edited by RonnieinDallas; 07-10-2014 at 09:18 PM..

Old 07-11-2014, 02:50 AM

9,276 posts, read 5,784,185 times
Well, I live in a border state too. I can guarantee you that I've seen more Redneck & Latino marriages than I have White UCLA Alumni & Latino marriages. The racist accusations are not only laughable, they are ignorant.

Old 07-13-2014, 10:51 AM

673 posts, read 552,131 times
Default Very sad story - get it out there!

Quote:

Wow, Rob! Your story really struck me. I'm so very sorry. This same type of discrimination is happening in south Texas. In fact, I was chastised for not speaking Spanish (not so well, that is), when first working there in the 80's, 90's. At the time, I was quite young and naïve...didn't put up a fuss and learned the language to accommodate both the legal AND many illegals that used our (free) services.

Talk about catering to the immigrants!!! That just isn't right, and is discriminatory to us American citizens. Please consider joining some of the grass-roots protests across the country next weekend, and hopefully, more in the near future. Share your story...get it out there!!!

These people are not only taking your potential jobs away from you, they are not allowing you to work in the first place, because of an unofficial language!!!

This is a unique and new type of discrimination, and needs to be brought to the forefront. I'd urge you to try to get further education, and move away from that area! (try to apply for need-based scholarships before they all go to the illegals, btw...) Also, fight for your rights as a natural-born U.S. citizen!!! Good luck!!!
- Dandiday

Old 07-13-2014, 10:57 AM

5,560 posts, read 5,362,081 times
This shouldn't surprise you. Neither should Black conservatives, Republicans, or Libertarians. We're not monolithic; we come from different schools or thoughts and persuasions.

Old 07-13-2014, 11:31 AM

19,899 posts, read 15,287,998 times
I believe your story, and sympathize with you. Although I have never witnessed this happening in the cities I live in now or past. I know certain areas have been taken over by illegals. You can see the damage that has been done also to those towns they take over.

I was in a JCP in the I.E. area of town, being down there , checking on one of our rentals. Well while in the store in the home dept. A Hispanic family came wandering into the home dept, looking around, and kid you not, 4 kids running amuck in the store.

When it got time to pay the person ringing up their merchandise, who was Mexican herself. The husband was speaking in Spanish. Well not all Mexican Americans speak Spanish. She told this gentlemen, that she did not speak Spanish.

This guy had a freaking fit, became agitated, mad and started raising his voice. He did not understand why everyone in the store did not speak Spanish, and that they should. He was yelling at the store checker to get a manger, but the manager did not speak Spanish either. He was screaming at the top of his lungs, pointing fingers and making me very nervous.

Security finally came, and had to throw the family out of the store. So I believe you, but why is it that they expect Americans to learn their language, when they can't bother to learns ours, and they live here. And why do we make things so easy on them, such as customer service on the phone these days, paying bills, any customer service at all on the phone these days, is press this for English, press this for Spanish. By doing these things, aren't we saying to these people, you don't have to learn English.

Old 07-13-2014, 08:23 PM

3,847 posts, read 3,161,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
Well, I live in a border state too. I can guarantee you that I've seen more Redneck & Latino marriages than I have White UCLA Alumni & Latino marriages. The racist accusations are not only laughable, they are ignorant.
Oh Great , now you're making stuff up???

Cite your sources for this BS.

Old 07-13-2014, 09:22 PM

6,453 posts, read 7,553,239 times
Give it about 5-10 years. There will be a race war, except that one of the two parties involved will not be white.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or