U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 07-19-2014, 08:52 PM
 
Location: Pensacola, Florida
2,125 posts, read 1,149,508 times
Reputation: 556

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Perhaps. This is just what I feel. There are many who are quick to say "Blacks, don't vote Democrat, they are oppressing you". However, very little has been offered as to why Blacks should vote Republican. There are many who are so good at telling Blacks not to vote Democrat, but have not shown that Republicans care about Blacks.
Well, actually more Republicans voted for the 1964 Civil Rights Act than did Democrats. Senator Byrd was a KKK member. He was a Senator for a long time after 1964 too. I know he was there in the 1990's.

 
Old 07-19-2014, 09:06 PM
 
44,758 posts, read 43,301,807 times
Reputation: 14449
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_human_being View Post
Well, actually more Republicans voted for the 1964 Civil Rights Act than did Democrats. Senator Byrd was a KKK member. He was a Senator for a long time after 1964 too. I know he was there in the 1990's.
I have to refute some of this.

Civil Rights Act of 1964 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The original House version
Southern Democrats: 7–87 (7–93%)
Southern Republicans: 0–10 (0–100%)
Northern Democrats: 145–9 (94–6%)
Northern Republicans: 138–24 (85–15%)


The Senate version:
Southern Democrats: 1–20 (5–95%) (only Ralph Yarborough of Texas voted in favor)
Southern Republicans: 0–1 (0–100%) (John Tower of Texas)
Northern Democrats: 45–1 (98–2%) (only Robert Byrd of West Virginia voted against)
Northern Republicans: 27–5 (84–16%)

From what I gather, region meant more than Democrat or Republican. No Republican from the South voted in favor of the bill, but 84% of Northern Republicans on the Senate level did, as did 98% of Northern Democrats on the Senate.
 
Old 07-20-2014, 12:54 AM
 
31,938 posts, read 14,712,394 times
Reputation: 8517
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
And Republicans would not do any better for Blacks. The only reason most Blacks vote for Democrats is because it's perceived as the lesser of two evils. Truth is, neither party cares about Blacks at all. It's the difference between a party that gives you some crumbs/hand-me-downs and a party that gives you NOTHING. Which party are you going to choose?
But this issue is about illegal immigration. One can still be a Democrat and not agree with them on illegal immigration. Illegal immigration is against the law and that should be all that matters regardless of one's party affiliation.
 
Old 07-20-2014, 01:38 AM
 
Location: OCEAN BREEZES AND VIEWS SAN CLEMENTE
19,899 posts, read 15,344,190 times
Reputation: 6451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
But this issue is about illegal immigration. One can still be a Democrat and not agree with them on illegal immigration. Illegal immigration is against the law and that should be all that matters regardless of one's party affiliation.


As always well said. And so true. Knew I could count on you.
 
Old 07-20-2014, 02:37 AM
 
44,758 posts, read 43,301,807 times
Reputation: 14449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
But this issue is about illegal immigration. One can still be a Democrat and not agree with them on illegal immigration. Illegal immigration is against the law and that should be all that matters regardless of one's party affiliation.
I know this is about illegal immigration. What I said was in response to someone says "Blacks vote for the party that oppresses them". My response is this. Have Republicans done any better for Blacks as of lately? Last time I checked, both Reagan and Bush Jr have pandered to amnesty. Bush got 40% of the Hispanic vote because of it. I didn't see him try to do anything for the Black vote. It doesn't matter what his cabinet looked like.
 
Old 07-20-2014, 08:13 AM
 
31,938 posts, read 14,712,394 times
Reputation: 8517
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I know this is about illegal immigration. What I said was in response to someone says "Blacks vote for the party that oppresses them". My response is this. Have Republicans done any better for Blacks as of lately? Last time I checked, both Reagan and Bush Jr have pandered to amnesty. Bush got 40% of the Hispanic vote because of it. I didn't see him try to do anything for the Black vote. It doesn't matter what his cabinet looked like.
Ok, but in keeping with the topic of illegal immigration wherever either party stands on illegal immigration/amnesty and whether or not we are Democrats or Republicans it seems to me that as loyal American "individuals" we should be opposed to it because it is against the law and it is having a devastating affect on our own citizens.

Last edited by Oldglory; 07-20-2014 at 08:23 AM..
 
Old 07-20-2014, 09:12 AM
 
Location: Hiding from Antifa?
5,836 posts, read 3,795,522 times
Reputation: 5015
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
Is that "It's a small world after all" I hear in the background? Disney at the Border....

The whole thing is too much. If we are going to give Billions of dollars to anyone,
it better be our own citizens, FIRST. We can start with our homeless Veterans, EVERY ONE
OF THEM. On a single night in January 2013, 610,042 people were experiencing homelessness in AMERICA.

National Alliance to End Homelessness: The State of Homelessness in America 2014
If you expect to get any traction regarding homelessness in the media you will first have to elect a Republican President. Don't you know, we never have a homeless problem(as far as the media is concerned) when a Democrat is President?
 
Old 07-20-2014, 09:47 AM
 
Location: Hiding from Antifa?
5,836 posts, read 3,795,522 times
Reputation: 5015
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Perhaps. This is just what I feel. There are many who are quick to say "Blacks, don't vote Democrat, they are oppressing you". However, very little has been offered as to why Blacks should vote Republican. There are many who are so good at telling Blacks not to vote Democrat, but have not shown that Republicans care about Blacks.
I won't say that Republicans have Blacks' concerns in their hearts any more than democrats, but if you want to make a change in the way you are treated by the US as a whole, all you need to do is rally a good percentage of the black population to vote republican ONE time. Then watch what happens to your situation when Democrats stop taking you for granted and Republicans realize they can reach out for your votes.
 
Old 07-20-2014, 12:37 PM
 
44,758 posts, read 43,301,807 times
Reputation: 14449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
I won't say that Republicans have Blacks' concerns in their hearts any more than democrats, but if you want to make a change in the way you are treated by the US as a whole, all you need to do is rally a good percentage of the black population to vote republican ONE time. Then watch what happens to your situation when Democrats stop taking you for granted and Republicans realize they can reach out for your votes.
I'm taking what you are saying into consideration. However, this is how I'm looking at it. I've considered the value of voting for a third party. I'm thinking that if neither party gets our vote, they would realize that perhaps they might have to fight harder for the Black vote. Both parties want power.

I also look at it from watching certain things. In the 1980s, Reagan basically said "Hispanics are Republicans, they just don't know it", citing things such as personal responsibility, hard work, and family. He did what he could to get the Hispanic vote. He did not even try when it came to the Black vote. Former President George Bush Jr did the same thing. He went after the Hispanic vote. Didn't even try when it came to the Black vote.

I feel like many Blacks won't go for Republican candidates because Republican candidates, for the most part, have not done much of anything to attract Blacks. And I'm talking about everything from the late 1960s to now. In fact, Robert Dole probably came the closest in reaching out to Black voters.

I feel like this. Hispanic voters were not expect to make the first move. Republicans went for them. And it is quite ironic. Blacks voting higher numbers than any other minority demographic. If anything, the Republicans should try harder if they are truly serious about appealing to Black voters. If Republicans can reach out to Hispanic voters, why not try the same with Black voters? Why write them off?

Why Republicans have a lot to gain from reaching out to African Americans - The Washington Post
 
Old 07-20-2014, 12:57 PM
 
Location: Great State of Texas
86,093 posts, read 70,127,848 times
Reputation: 27525
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I'm taking what you are saying into consideration. However, this is how I'm looking at it. I've considered the value of voting for a third party. I'm thinking that if neither party gets our vote, they would realize that perhaps they might have to fight harder for the Black vote. Both parties want power.

I also look at it from watching certain things. In the 1980s, Reagan basically said "Hispanics are Republicans, they just don't know it", citing things such as personal responsibility, hard work, and family. He did what he could to get the Hispanic vote. He did not even try when it came to the Black vote. Former President George Bush Jr did the same thing. He went after the Hispanic vote. Didn't even try when it came to the Black vote.

I feel like many Blacks won't go for Republican candidates because Republican candidates, for the most part, have not done much of anything to attract Blacks. And I'm talking about everything from the late 1960s to now. In fact, Robert Dole probably came the closest in reaching out to Black voters.

I feel like this. Hispanic voters were not expect to make the first move. Republicans went for them. And it is quite ironic. Blacks voting higher numbers than any other minority demographic. If anything, the Republicans should try harder if they are truly serious about appealing to Black voters. If Republicans can reach out to Hispanic voters, why not try the same with Black voters? Why write them off?

Why Republicans have a lot to gain from reaching out to African Americans - The Washington Post
And I think the Democrats are starting to realize that from the last few elections.
Hispanics are just not interested in voting.
And if you look at the countries they came from one can see why.
And for the past 2 Presidential elections Obama ignored the Blacks. Sure he talked and showed up at events or sent Biden. But he put Hispanics first and I was surprised to see that in 2012 the Blacks just followed party lines and sent him back for another 4 years.

I'm in Texas and I see the slow takeover of communities by Hispanics.
And the language barrier has only served to draw Whites and Blacks regardless of politics to the same side making for some strange bedfellows.



The Hispanic vote is a sleeping political giant. It might never wake up. - The Washington Post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top