U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2014, 12:55 AM

1,944 posts, read 2,747,990 times

Advertisements

Does anyone remember the comprehensive immigration bill that was put together by that select group and those pesky Republicans wouldn't pass it? Or am I remembering it wrong?

Has anyone here read the bill? I did.

There were good parts and not-so-good parts but the biggest problem I had--and I believe the Republicans had a problem with it also--was that there was no border security.

Oh, yes, there was a part about securing the border and providing additional agents.

Within 5 years.

If you have 50,000 or more illegals coming over the border a year and pass a bill granting amnesty, wouldn't it make some kind of sense to secure the border before you pass the bill?

I was listening to somebody tonight talking about they expect 90,000 children coming across next year and as much as 140,000 the year after that.

Then I heard the President's comments about how it was the Republicans fault because they didn't pass the bill. Rick Perry asked for National Guard troops to close the border and the president said they weren't needed--just need Republicans to pass the bill. That closes the border in five years.

Do we have a hope?
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2014, 02:27 AM

20,310 posts, read 18,923,670 times
The problem with the Immigration reform bill is that it was all pork and no teeth. Massive spending but the tools to hold employers accountable were delayed 5 years. Rewards for illegals and no accountability. Sure, pay back taxes. based upon what? Their word? Can't have a conviction for ID fraud etc. Well ok. How were they working and paying taxes like the Dems claim if they weren't committing document fraud or tax fraud?
S.744 is a typical pork barrel bill. Not unlike so many others that have been passed that are bankrupting this country.

Old 07-10-2014, 07:03 AM

3,082 posts, read 3,346,314 times
It appears we do not in fact have a hope under this lawless administration. You talk about those "pesky Republicans" who wouldn't pass the bill, but criticize the content of the bill; i.e., that the border was not immediately being closed. The Democrats want open borders, amnesty with a pathway to full citizenship, not to mention that "dreamers" would be able to bring their entire family over after a period of time. Acquiring legal status is different than acquiring full citizenship. It is very important to understand that the Democrats' position is to grant amnesty, pass liberal immigration reform that would harm America, and THEN the borders will be closed after a long period of time.

Of course the bill wasn't going to pass. To his credit, Schumer worked in a very bipartisan manner to bring about the bill, but it was still unacceptable, even if only for the reason you yourself set forth. Schumer's bipartisanship was refreshing after the antics of this lawless administration.

Until this morning, I was not for any litigation or impeachment of this administration. Not because this lawless president didn't deserve it. He does. But when I read this morning he has no intention of stopping the surge, I would agree with filing an emergency lawsuit to force him to comply with current immigration laws, which he is not doing, and to deport these immigrants rather than let them leave on buses and disappear. These countries sending their citizens here somehow got the signal from this administration that it would not deport anyone crossing the border, and would tell border patrol to stand back. Now this lawless administration has created a health and welfare crisis, using desperate immigrants and US citizens to create the crisis, and is attempting to blame the Republicans. I am fully aware of Bush's law for child victims of a corrupt, dangerous country. They are to be returned to their country.

In the meantime, Sgt. Tahmooressi was returned to a Mexican prison because his ignorance of Mexico's laws is no excuse. Ironic isn't it.

In addition to the creation of this crisis, with the releasing of the five terrorists whose main goal it is to kill American citizens, who are now marching across and conquering Iraq, and who have announced plans to attack the US, if one American citizen is killed in a terrorist attack headed by any one of the five terrorists released by this lawless president he should be charged and tried for treason and murder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb73 View Post
Does anyone remember the comprehensive immigration bill that was put together by that select group and those pesky Republicans wouldn't pass it? Or am I remembering it wrong?

Has anyone here read the bill? I did.

There were good parts and not-so-good parts but the biggest problem I had--and I believe the Republicans had a problem with it also--was that there was no border security.

Oh, yes, there was a part about securing the border and providing additional agents.

Within 5 years.

If you have 50,000 or more illegals coming over the border a year and pass a bill granting amnesty, wouldn't it make some kind of sense to secure the border before you pass the bill?

I was listening to somebody tonight talking about they expect 90,000 children coming across next year and as much as 140,000 the year after that.

Then I heard the President's comments about how it was the Republicans fault because they didn't pass the bill. Rick Perry asked for National Guard troops to close the border and the president said they weren't needed--just need Republicans to pass the bill. That closes the border in five years.

Do we have a hope?

Old 07-12-2014, 12:05 PM

836 posts, read 1,131,679 times
788 pages. I didn't read them all. But I can say that the parts which were relevant for putting in place the legalization of the people were less than 100 pages of it, not including foot notes and useless bits.

So, what was in the other 688 pages?

I have no idea. I only read that which relates. Which is, what are they planning to do with the people that are already in the US and how, and how are they planning on dealing with people trying to get in and those who get in after the passage of the bill?

If you're familiar with the INA, you know there are only a handful of sections which actually are used by USCIS, CBP, ICE, DOJ and the intelligence community.

If anyone cares at all about immigration issues as they relate to the average citizen in the US, they would never agree to passing the bill.

Oh, it's not just how they wanted to change the laws themselves and remove current inadmissibility laws (i.e. you can submit a fraudulent document, lie, commit crime etc and there's no meaningful penalty). They wanted to change how the visa system itself works. Mainly by eliminating parents of citizens and the diversity visa program. But the truth is, if they just enforced the law as it is and let DHS do it's job by extending them the power that was originally granted to them, it wouldn't be an issue. Unfortunately, the current administration refuses to allow DHS to do its job and will in fact, black list any employee which opposes their views. You can have one person stand up, but in order it to be useful, the next 10 people in line have to be on board. And the next 10 people are not willing to jeopardize their career, so they do nothing, resulting in nothing being done and no one on the front line standing up anymore.

In order for USCIS or CBP to make stand, they need backing by the Department of Justice and ICE. Neither of which will give it because the heads are political appointees. Even for USCIS to take a stand, they need backing by their own agency, the BIA. Which they do not get because the AL judges are also political appointees, even though they're technically labeled part of the civil service system.

The whole chant of the ills with employment based green cards is a farce. But the people seeking the change are so moronic they don't realize that they now are in the US, their children are citizens, and their children are now graduating college looking for work. Their very own children are going unemployed in the same exact field they got their green card in because the children of their children left in the home country are willing to do the same exact job, with half the credentials and less training for 1/4th the cost. They are now unemployed by the very same method which got themselves employed.

There are administrative issues with their plan as well, including funding. There are people who have been foaming at the mouth to get at USCIS' income. No President allows it because it's basically unchecked executive income. So this "bill" has a clause in it which includes two payments for the people in the US. They took a payment amount which was set 30 years ago, and applied it to half now, half in 6 years. The amount being $1000. $500 now, $500 in 6 years. Ah. But the money goes to a congressional pot, like Social Security. They know full and well that the applications can not be processed for under $1000 a pop for each process. They'd need to make it $1000 now, and $1000 in 6 years just to cover the cost of doing all that is required in their plan, not even including money for enforcement, just administrative. But they won't because the plan calls for half that money, meaning the other half must come from USCIS itself from it's other fees. You can see where I'm going with this. It's forcing USCIS to give the money from processing to Congress plus an additional $1000 for each person. Which in their eyes, the money can be used for anything they want. The same way social security was bled, which also prevents the President from having his own source of money not subject to congressional oversight. The old "As needed" clause.

I could write a 20 pages thesis on the ills of the plan as it were. But none of it matters because the bill won't pass. Even if it did, no one would know what's in except for organizations like the ACLU because they have hundreds of underemployed attorneys who have nothing to do but read those 788 pages.

The immigration system in the US is a giant Ponzi scheme to get more low wage workers in who have children who work for low wages because the more educated you are, the less children you have and the less income you generate while increasing pressure on community services, such as road use. They need the good Catholics from Central and South America to keep it going and pop out those 10 kids per couple. No one seems to realize that.

That's why it will never be fixed according to the average citizen's wish. The average citizen doesn't stand a chance in the face of such a program designed to eliminate the middle class by usurping them with income so low that you pit the have littles against the have nothings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or