U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2014, 07:43 AM

25,455 posts, read 23,273,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandiDay View Post
-This is exactly what other intelligent thinkers have come up with. It seems crazy to us that "O" and his ilk would continue to press on, when it's obviously destroying our country...but yet, they keep on pursuing their agenda. And another 4 Billion...for what? Pelosi wants "due process" for these FOREIGNERS ....they are NOT citizens of our country! Why don't we use this money for our own poor? For our maimed wounded warriors?

-Also, HappyTexan, you are correct - Congressmen have said that the 3.7 Billion dollar request by "O" is filled with too many other leech-like bills that do NOT promote immediate deportation or securing our borders. If "O" came up with a PURE proposal strictly to address the border closure, then deportation (that is, treating the illegals from Central America as if they came from Mexico), then Congress would pass it in a minute!!! BTW, can you find the source of the breakdown of the bill?

-This is one reason cited for continuing to allow these illegals and so-called "kids" in. Have you seen some of the photos posted? A majority of these "kids" are young men...some look 16-18 or older. Many have been identified as gang members...

- Yes, I fear for my kids and future grandkids. Our America is corrupted....even gone now. It's absolutely terrifying.

--Well, 3 points here. I do beg to differ. Advanced degrees by themselves doesn't prove squat about someone's intelligence. Just look at John Kerry's IQ and low grades at Yale. Both much LOWER than Bush!!!
---Nowadays, the educational "bar" has been lowered so much, that anyone willing to put in the time (not necessarily the mind power), can get an advanced degree. Note, that I'm talking about degrees in Politics, English, history, law, economics, business, etc. Except for perhaps economics, and maybe business, there's not a lot of original thought or critical thinking that goes on. So, we have a bunch of men and women up in Washington as our reps and senators...many don't even have "advanced degrees" (I'd name a few, but might be labeled "racist"...so, better not). Perhaps in a different post, I'll look up every one and post their education. Now, Condi Rice was an exception. She had the education and background to PROVE she's a "critical thinker". The others just go by what they're told, measure it against what they've learned about the law (to prove its viability), and then vote either by what their constituency says, or most of the time, vote the "party line" anyway. No "thinking" involved. Well, with the obvious exception that they must "think" if they want to anger their base, heh-heh, and not be re-elected!!!

Second point..."absolute power corrupts absolutely". People have hands in each other's pockets, and fight for the "top dawg" position. They surrender their scruples in doing so. John Quincy Adams would be turning over in his grave if he knew what was going on with "his America" right now. (Happy Birthday, John Q Adams!!!!). Our present gov't is set up so that terms can go on indefinitely, and thus, power grows and self-propagates. Pretty soon, the individual in question is so full of himself and his power, that he feels he's beyond reproach...like our so-called "leader"...who not only hasn't lead, but has just "bullied" his way around, going on golfing trips and fund-raising parties (while Rome is burning), and then, with a bruised ego, whines "It's Congress's fault". "O" has the power via the stroke of the pen, to send 1,000 National Guard units to the border TODAY. That's what Gov. Perry is begging him to do. "O" didn't answer him, and continues to whine....(Mr. "O"...How do you want your steak cooked with that whine????)!!!

Third, people don't really know what's going on at the border...I'll address that in my next post. Gov. Perry went down to the border this week with Sean Hannity...they were briefed by the Border Patrol (official), and interviewed a representative of the border patrol peer group (somehow this designation allowed him to skirt around the "don't talk" mandate by "O" and DHS). ABSOLUTELY MIND-BLOWING STUFF!!!!! stay tuned... Even seasoned journalists like Hannity didn't know the whole story.

-----Just my 2 cents....Dandiday
yeah, can you believe how John Adams would react to all of this?

I cannot believe this is happening...it is literally making me sick....especially that other Americans cannot see what is going on....

I mean the right is just as bad, this was going on all during Bush's term and before that how many years, yet no one did anything about it...now, as usual, the opposing team is bashing the President, and yet, that is all they are doing!!!!! What in the World?????

BTW, another fantastic post, thank you, tried to give you more reps, but you know the drill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2014, 08:41 AM

673 posts, read 552,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post

I cannot believe this is happening...it is literally making me sick....especially that other Americans cannot see what is going on....

I mean the right is just as bad, this was going on all during Bush's term and before that how many years, yet no one did anything about it...now, as usual, the opposing team is bashing the President, and yet, that is all they are doing!!!!! What in the World?????

BTW, another fantastic post, thank you, tried to give you more reps, but you know the drill.

Thanks, Cremebrulee...me too...

As you said earlier, it IS bone-chilling. I got SO upset last night watching the Border Patrol Official Brief. Gov. Perry and Sean Hannity was there...where was "O" and any other of our federal leaders???

Burying their heads in the sand! The whole lot of them aren't worth a dime...yes, on both sides!!!

This is not, and should NOT be a partisan issue, but it IS a political one, in that it's destroying our country, and our politicians are NOT stepping up to the plate to take care of it.

Some of my favorite John Quincy Adams quotes below...very applicable to the problems America is now facing; at the border, and with the Middle East, as well as the loose-cannon and arbitrary power "O" is forcing down our throats:

"Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people."

"Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost."

(note -a great reminder and admonishing for our reps and senators!!!- Dandi)

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

- John Quincy Adams

(July 11, 1767 – February 23, 1848) was an American statesman who served as the sixth President of the United States from 1825 to 1829. He also served as a diplomat, a Senator and member of the House of Representatives. He was a member of the Federalist, Democratic-Republican, National Republican, and later Anti-Masonic and Whig parties.)

source - John Quincy Adams - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

- We must Stop taking on the world's kids and problems!!!!

- Dandi

Old 07-11-2014, 10:23 AM

16,694 posts, read 8,639,497 times
There's no complexity. It is simply because the Democrat party wants to import more voters since most illegal immigrants are Latinos and most (75%+) of them will vote for the Democrats once they become citizens.

If the Democrats can pass a law and allow these illegals to become citizens, that's 50 million votes they would be getting. It would secure the political power for the Democrats for the time to come.

It's just that, nothing more.

You may ask what about the country and its people? Since almost all of the 50 million illegals are poor, they will require government assistance when we are 17 trillions in debt and nowhere to find the money to pay. Furthermore, the newly-legalized-illegals would compete fiercely for jobs with low income workers, particularly the poor. You think the poor have a tough time now, wait until the Democrats add 50 million poor people to eat their welfare pie and to fight over jobs.

Well, the answer is "To hell with them!" said the Democrats.

Old 07-11-2014, 12:24 PM

183 posts, read 157,830 times
Quote:

Get ready for another 145,000 illegals in 2015 !

Texas immigrant flood will worsen, officials warn - CNN.com

Old 07-11-2014, 12:42 PM

19,899 posts, read 15,287,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
There's no complexity. It is simply because the Democrat party wants to import more voters since most illegal immigrants are Latinos and most (75%+) of them will vote for the Democrats once they become citizens.

If the Democrats can pass a law and allow these illegals to become citizens, that's 50 million votes they would be getting. It would secure the political power for the Democrats for the time to come.

It's just that, nothing more.

You may ask what about the country and its people? Since almost all of the 50 million illegals are poor, they will require government assistance when we are 17 trillions in debt and nowhere to find the money to pay. Furthermore, the newly-legalized-illegals would compete fiercely for jobs with low income workers, particularly the poor. You think the poor have a tough time now, wait until the Democrats add 50 million poor people to eat their welfare pie and to fight over jobs.

Well, the answer is "To hell with them!" said the Democrats.

Don't think they give much thought to your feelings. They don't care!

Old 07-11-2014, 12:49 PM

19,899 posts, read 15,287,998 times
Quote:
Yanno, another thread sparked this perspective of which I've been thinking about for a long long time...

All these illegals coming into this country for how long now? I remember being at the Jersey Shore, with neighbors, and coming back aross the bridge, we were rear ended by illegals from Mexico, who had no insurance, therefore, I remember how angry my neighbor was, and I was 15 years old? I remember him saying, "why isn't something being done about this". Back then it was Hollywood, who actually started hiring these people as house maids, lawn care, baby sitters, etc.

Then I heard about how both the republican and democratic parties would go down to the boarder and hand out flyers, while saying, "Welcome to America, Vote for me!"

Then I hear about how Police officers are not allowed to ask them, when they stop people if they are citizens of the U.S. and do you have any idea, how many of them drive without license, or car insurance, all of which are against the law.

Then, my aunt, who lived in California, while still alive, oh, say, 9 - 10 years ago, tells me, they cannot go out at night time, to a movie or to a mall, b/c it is way to dangerous, b/c of all the illegal gangs and she said, "It is not simply all Mexican gangs, it is horrendously about all gangs from other countries, Russian and so forth....

She also explains to me, that b/c all these illegals are going to the emergency rooms, and not paying their bills, hospitals are being forced to close down. So, now she and everyone else are forced to go to public clinics....?

But I wrote about this on here many years ago, and was called a lier?

So, then I hear from a girlfriend whose son sat on Homeland Security, about all the terrorists that are here in this country due to the borders being open. He got so mad, he stormed out of 3 meetings and finally quit. Then, he was blackballed, and I am unable to go into any kind of description, however,

Doesn't any one else here think about all these things and wonder just how far and how deep this corruption goes? I mean think about it....no one seems to be enforcing the law, WHY? WHY and yet, both sides (Republicans & Democrates) are constantly tearing each other apart to the public????

I mean, just for one moment, if you will, consider the whole of this lawlessness?

This is huge, huge....? Why? And then taking it a bit further, if this is happening in this country, what the heck else is going on?

Adding insult to injury, I cannot help but ponder, are they trying to bankrupt our country, close our systems down?

I mean seriously folks, what is happening here, and please think about his, the ripple effect of all this. I've heard now, the churches have opened up to these illegal children?

to me, this is not only mind botteling but scary? Why are they doing this to our country?

Does anyone else ever ponder this? And if so, what are your perspectives....

Not true what you stated about California. I have always lived in cities I was able to go out at night or in the daytime.

I feel very safe living here in San Clemente, where the most wonderful kind fellow neighbors live, we also go out of our way to do for each other, which is rare these days. I don't go anywhere in this town, where the people do not greet you, even the teenagers, that says something right there.

I felt safe in Anaheim Hills, Yorba Linda, as I did in Redondo Beach, years and years ago.

It depends of course, on the area you live in and the County And even then you have very desirable areas, and crime ridden areas.. I have been to almost every State, and I have found out, in each there is good and bad areas. I love it where I live, almost like a resort type area, with everything at your fingertips, that is why not ready to leave yet, and we own our home outright.

Old 07-12-2014, 02:09 PM

9,276 posts, read 5,784,185 times
"I mean think about it....no one seems to be enforcing the law, WHY? WHY ......I mean, just for one moment, if you will, consider the whole of this lawlessness? This is huge, huge....? Why?"

Why? I think it was/is because everybody got fed up with being constantly hassled by protests and lawsuits. They caved so things would get back to normal. Back in the 70's and 80's, the pro immigration movement made life unbearable for city governments and businesses. They literally couldn't get any work done.

Last edited by elan; 07-12-2014 at 02:19 PM..

Old 07-15-2014, 10:50 PM

40 posts, read 180,535 times
Ilegal immigration is a passionate issue but you have to look at facts. Everyone cries "just build a fence and seal the border" but it's not that easy.

The US itself is about 2,990 miles wide, as the crow flies from Jacksonville, Fl. to Aberdeen, Wa. to give you an idea of just how big the border is.

The US/Mexico border is 1,989 miles of incredibly difficult terrain. Canyons, deserts, hills, river beds, giant rocks. Download Google Earth and look at the expanse of the Rio Grande in close up. I mean really zoom in at the ground level and look at the terrain. The border is insanely long and the terrain is mind bogglingly treacherous.

Building a fence would be a colossal, colossal waste of money. It would do nothing that a shovel and a ladder couldn't bypass and would cost billions upon billions to man and patrol. Border agents would be sitting every 4 or 5 miles at the border looking at piles of rocks and desert. Not to mention getting water and supplies to the outposts. For the most part, it's all incredibly remote.

On top of sealing an incredibly long and porous border Bush signed this law into effect before leaving office. William Wilberforce Trafficking Victims Protection Reauthorization Act of 2008

It's the law of the land now, and before it's changed you can't just throw out laws on the books in an instant. It takes time. I'm not saying it's right, but it is what it is. Once these kids are here on U.S. soil they have to be given a hearing.

So... with all that in mind. What can be done? And all these knee jerk statements "it's Obamas fault", is pure nonsense. This is a serious issue that has to acted upon, but not by calling people names, because all party's both Red and Blue are aware of the complexity of the situation.

Old 07-16-2014, 03:17 AM

16,886 posts, read 12,538,974 times
1st of all, if anyone is crossing the border illegally, then they are not illegal aliens or undocumented aliens.
they are criminal aliens no matter if they are 150 years old or 1 day old. all criminals that come over the border illegally should be sent back to their home country.

I do have a solution to securing the border, but the last time I put it up in this forum, I got an infraction as people thought I was trolling, when in actuality I was being serious.

I also have a 2nd solution that is not bad. have the federal government make a east to west coast canal from the pacific ocean to the gulf of mexico. make it a mile wide, 800 feet deep and with walls 500 feet high, plus put a 40 foot high steel fence at the top of the walls.

there are ways to secure our border, it is just politicians do not want a secure border at all.

Old 07-16-2014, 05:57 AM

31,488 posts, read 14,565,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prizm View Post
Ilegal immigration is a passionate issue but you have to look at facts. Everyone cries "just build a fence and seal the border" but it's not that easy.

The US itself is about 2,990 miles wide, as the crow flies from Jacksonville, Fl. to Aberdeen, Wa. to give you an idea of just how big the border is.

The US/Mexico border is 1,989 miles of incredibly difficult terrain. Canyons, deserts, hills, river beds, giant rocks. Download Google Earth and look at the expanse of the Rio Grande in close up. I mean really zoom in at the ground level and look at the terrain. The border is insanely long and the terrain is mind bogglingly treacherous.

Building a fence would be a colossal, colossal waste of money. It would do nothing that a shovel and a ladder couldn't bypass and would cost billions upon billions to man and patrol. Border agents would be sitting every 4 or 5 miles at the border looking at piles of rocks and desert. Not to mention getting water and supplies to the outposts. For the most part, it's all incredibly remote.

On top of sealing an incredibly long and porous border Bush signed this law into effect before leaving office. William Wilberforce Trafficking Victims Protection Reauthorization Act of 2008

It's the law of the land now, and before it's changed you can't just throw out laws on the books in an instant. It takes time. I'm not saying it's right, but it is what it is. Once these kids are here on U.S. soil they have to be given a hearing.

So... with all that in mind. What can be done? And all these knee jerk statements "it's Obamas fault", is pure nonsense. This is a serious issue that has to acted upon, but not by calling people names, because all party's both Red and Blue are aware of the complexity of the situation.
There never was a plan to wall in our entire southern border. The plan that was passed but not funded by congress was to erect a double layered wall along the most porous areas (about 700-800 miles). This would free up the Border Patrol to patrol the other areas. A physical barrier does indeed assist the Border Patrol immensely. That type of wall was erected on a portion of our San Diego border and it cut illegal immigration down to a trickle.

Congress needs to call an emergency session to rescind the law that Bush put into place several years ago considering the extent of this latest incursion by so-called unaccompanied minors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or