U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 07:06 AM

520 posts, read 1,694,211 times

Advertisements

Seems like a silly thing to get all up in arms over. It takes all of one second to press the button. Some people may prefer to do their business in Spanish. If a company wants to accomodate that who are you to say they shouldn't? We don't have an official language in this country... maybe we should... but we don't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2007, 07:18 AM

1,266 posts, read 2,223,766 times
It's outrageous. And just think of all the money we taxpayers spend on US documents that are printed in Spanish as well as English.

Old 12-19-2007, 07:20 AM

17,281 posts, read 24,969,411 times
I've actually never run into "press one for english" without "press two for spanish"....

Usually it's Welcome to Bla bla bank "para espanol, oprima dos," and then continues in English.

Still don't think it's fair that only one language is accomodated in such a fashion, but the capitalists are shameless and have no loyalty but money, so what can you do?

Old 12-19-2007, 07:28 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,628,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crittersitter View Post
It's outrageous. And just think of all the money we taxpayers spend on US documents that are printed in Spanish as well as English.
That pisses me off------aside from information pertaining to public health/safety; all Federal/state/local documents should be in English only.

Old 12-19-2007, 07:48 AM

3,589 posts, read 2,975,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey_NC View Post
...All good information .
Most of the posts in here have been intelligent and courteous and I hope it will stay that way. We all have our differences and I started this thread to see how varied those differences are.
I subscribed to B Sky B, also owned by the Murdoch stain...and every time I had to call customer services or support, people with perfect English accents answered the phone.

Old 12-19-2007, 07:51 AM

3,589 posts, read 2,975,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
I've actually never run into "press one for english" without "press two for spanish"....

Usually it's Welcome to Bla bla bank "para espanol, oprima dos," and then continues in English.
That has been my experience too.

Quote:
Still don't think it's fair that only one language is accomodated in such a fashion, but the capitalists are shameless and have no loyalty but money, so what can you do?
Write your congressman and demand that the illegals be sent home.

Old 12-19-2007, 12:19 PM
NCN

21,136 posts, read 21,133,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye48 View Post
Just wait a while.

Before you know it, in our more liberal states, they'll make it manditory that everything be in both Spanish and English.
It might interest you to know there are some places government employees are being required to learn Spanish and their raises will be evaluated according to their success at this venture. I saw an e-mail from a department head that stated that fact. My opinion is that the department head person should be fired. Nobody in America should be required to learn any language except English in order to do any normal government job. The person who does not speak English should have to bring along their own translator for a government service that is not necessary for life.

There was a person hired whose job is to service Spanish speaking people and instead of using her in that way, the department head had her to start teaching Spanish to all of the employees. In my opinion the wrong people are having to learn another language.

As I said before, my vote will be telling a lot of people how I feel about this.

I personally would not mind being able to speak several languages, but in America this should not be required for a service that is optional at best.

Last edited by NCN; 12-19-2007 at 12:35 PM..

Old 12-19-2007, 12:30 PM

12,930 posts, read 24,062,349 times
While yes it does drive me mad it is not nearly annoying as the rest of the prompts to get where you need to be...but thats another topic entirely

Old 12-19-2007, 12:56 PM

1,861 posts, read 2,968,433 times
I scream at the ATM's - "English, you idiot, this is America"!!

It does bug me, but the thing that most bugs me about everything being in Spanish is that there are people from all over the world here (being that we're so welcoming to LEGAL immigrants), and we have to put up with ONE group who insists we cater to them in their native language.

I don't care if they're "the biggest minority group", I don't think we should cater to anyone who is going to live here and not quickly learn our English language. It's important that we all speak the same language in order to conduct business, get along, understand each other, and merge all groups of people, if we're going to be a united country. This breaking into groups of different "cultures" from this PC "multiculturalism" idea does NOT work - never has anywhere, and will not work here either. One language is part of the glue that holds us together.

Old 12-19-2007, 01:07 PM

635 posts, read 1,560,205 times
I think people are afraid of diversity. If you really step back to look at this everyday problem, you can see how miniscule this issue truly is. I believe Americans are becoming afraid of the increasing diversity in this country from Latinos. The U.S. has a poor record of tolerating large numbers of non-whites.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration