U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 01:24 PM

9,742 posts, read 9,061,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesusisLord View Post
I think people are afraid of diversity. If you really step back to look at this everyday problem, you can see how miniscule this issue truly is. I believe Americans are becoming afraid of the increasing diversity in this country from Latinos. The U.S. has a poor record of tolerating large numbers of non-whites.
Bull.

We are the most diverse nation in the world.

Secondly, we are not afraid. We are angry. Big difference. What angers us is not diversity, but disrespect. After I barge into your home uninvited, start making demands of you, all the while criticizing your wife's (or husband's) cooking, then tell me that your feelings would be "fear of diversity." If you want to allow people to walk all over you, have at it. I'm afraid () I'll stick to respecting those who first earn it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2007, 01:24 PM

3,589 posts, read 2,974,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Carolina Native View Post
There was a person hired whose job is to service Spanish speaking people and instead of using her in that way, the department head had her to start teaching Spanish to all of the employees. In my opinion the wrong people are having to learn another language.
AMEN. They should have to learn our language, not the other way around.

Old 12-19-2007, 01:29 PM

1,861 posts, read 2,968,014 times
Quote:
I think people are afraid of diversity. If you really step back to look at this everyday problem, you can see how miniscule this issue truly is. I believe Americans are becoming afraid of the increasing diversity in this country from Latinos. The U.S. has a poor record of tolerating large numbers of non-whites.
We're the most DIVERSE nation on earth!!

Old 12-19-2007, 02:10 PM

4,834 posts, read 5,441,393 times
Arrow Respect is earned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
Bull.

Secondly, we are not afraid. We are angry. Big difference. What angers us is not diversity, but disrespect. After I barge into your home uninvited, start making demands of you, all the while criticizing your wife's (or husband's) cooking, then tell me that your feelings would be "fear of diversity." If you want to allow people to walk all over you, have at it. I'm afraid () I'll stick to respecting those who first earn it.
Bravo!!

Respect is earned as are rights. Illegals have no respect for our laws so why should they have rights? This anti immigration thing is not about Hispanics, it is about safeguarding our country from those who would use us as they do fast food wrappers. If all these illegals want to become Americans let them WAIT IN LINE AND EARN THAT RIGHT. God, I am so sick and tired of of some who keep insisting that this is an anti Hispanic thing.

Old 12-19-2007, 02:38 PM
NCN

21,136 posts, read 21,129,613 times
Quote:
What Americans are afraid of is having their country destroyed by a group of people who have absolutely no respect for the law; otherwise, they would not be here. Illegal means that a person is breaking the law simply by being present, not to mention the gangs, drunk drivers, robberies, etc. They need to leave. Having thousands of people depleteing our treasury by getting free medical, education, housing, etc. is not a miniscule thing. The middle class American citizen is being robbed by big business and illegals. If one knew how much this is going on, it would astound the most tolerant person.

I for one am looking forward to the next election. I have faith that things are going to change. If I were an illegal, I would be packing my bag. No more amnesty. Americans will no longer keep silent and RIGHT will win.

Old 12-19-2007, 02:45 PM

17,279 posts, read 24,965,630 times
Quote:
I think people are afraid of diversity.
I don't think you know what "diversity" is if you think an overswell of "Latinos" is "diversity."

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesusisLord
If you really step back to look at this everyday problem, you can see how miniscule this issue truly is.
For many people who watch their neighborhoods deteriorate, or jobs being undercut by a labor pool awash in slave-like labor, it is NOT a "miniscule" problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesusisLord
I believe Americans are becoming afraid of the increasing diversity in this country from Latinos. The U.S. has a poor record of tolerating large numbers of non-whites.
"Latinizing" America, which is a mixture of superficial attributes of cultures mixed together under the common banner of a common language, political participation and consumerism is NOT increasing "diversity" - it inhibits diversity, and frustrates the melting pot.

And stop referring to Latinos as "non-whites." Maybe the bulk of "Chicanos" are "non-white" but I'm tired of the ignorance on here concerning race and ethnic identity, ESPECIALLY where referencing or discussing "Latinos."

Old 12-19-2007, 02:49 PM

4,800 posts, read 7,689,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
Bull.

Exactly!

Wish I could give you more [well deserved] rep points for this one!

Old 12-19-2007, 02:52 PM

1,149 posts, read 5,162,883 times
In 50 years American whites with English as their first language will probably be a minority in not only California, but all of USA except maybe for Vermont.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Because the largest minority language spoken here is Spanish. That stated; when most of the illegals are deported, we may see a whole lot less Spanish heard/spoken.

Old 12-19-2007, 02:53 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,615,066 times
Quote:
I think you're right. That's why no one has ever before immigrated to America until now. And why we're all white. Good point! It doesn't get much more 'intolerant' than this!!

Old 12-19-2007, 02:55 PM

3,589 posts, read 2,974,016 times
Quote:
Uh...being swamped by Latinos does not equal "diversity". To me, diversity means a good mix of all kinds of different people: white, black, Latino, Asian, south Asian, Middle Eastern, etc. of all religions. My ideal neighborhood would have all of these groups with none being the clear majority.

If Dallas goes 60% Hispanic (it's well on its way) and 40% "other", I would not call that diverse...just as if the majority group was white, people wouldn't consider it diverse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration