U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2014, 01:37 PM

6,863 posts, read 7,716,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by franklin_mac View Post
Surely his Pulitzer would've gone a long way in granting him an EB1 had he gotten a decent immigration attorney.

Attention-loving moron.
Actually, the only way he can gain citizenship is to marry a US citizen, but he's gay. Here's an interview where he talks about his status.

Beyond the Border with an Undocumented American: The VICE Podcast Show 040 - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2014, 06:25 PM

1,232 posts, read 1,359,609 times
Wow, a lot of misinformation on this thread. Turn off Glenn Beck and get informed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emanon13 View Post
He fits under the DREAM Act. He´s not going anywhere.
He is over 30, doesn't apply to him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Actually, the only way he can gain citizenship is to marry a US citizen, but he's gay.
Wrong. Him being gay is irrelevant. After the Supremes struck down DOMA in Windsor, same sex couples can get married in states that allow it and have their marriages recognized by DHS and the Feds. Vargas can theoretically get married to a man and be put on a road to US citizenship. The main problem that he will run into was that because he entered the country via fraud or without being properly inspected, he will be unable to adjust his status within the United States and will have to return to the Philippines in order to apply for the appropriate fiancé visa and/or green card. Unfortunately for him, since he was undocumented in the USA for so long, he will be subject to a 10 year ban, and even if he finds a US citizen to marry him, he will have to wait a full 10 years before he can properly file his marriage application. He will be 43 at that time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
He will appear before an immigration judge in a few months who will give him the right to a green card and all the rights of an American. He will come out ahead from his stunt at the border.

I understand now he was given a document that allows him to travel at will via car, plane, train and bus without any right to stop him.

What a shame!
Wrong. The "special document" that he was given to travel via car, plane, or train was merely a notice to appear in immigration court. Yes, he is free to travel prior to his court date, but that is because he is essentially out on bail subject to the jurisdiction of the immigration court.

I do not see any conceivable legal basis which would give Vargas the right to stay in the USA. I do not see any hardship exemptions (minor children, ailing dependents) that will subject him to a waiver. The immigration judge will issue an order of deportation that will need to be complied with. As an illegal alien, it is easy to hide in the shadows, but once you have an order of deportation lodged against you, your file gets handed over to ICE and they arrange travel for you. Fail to comply with their mandates, and your file gets turned over to the ICE fugitive unit where they hunt you down, kick in your front door, and carry you off to the airport in your pajamas.

Frankly, Vargas knows all this and I don't believe for a second that he didn't know that McAllen was loaded with border patrol agents and checkpoints. For whatever reason, he made a personal and conscious decision to return to the Philippines, while at the same time wanting to gain the greatest possible publicity for his cause. Expect more ongoing live twitter and Huffington Post reports from the immigration court, ICE office, and airport as the process drags out.

Last edited by ny789987; 07-16-2014 at 07:02 PM..

Old 07-16-2014, 08:19 PM

6,863 posts, read 7,716,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ny789987 View Post
Wow, a lot of misinformation on this thread. Turn off Glenn Beck and get informed.

He is over 30, doesn't apply to him.

Wrong. Him being gay is irrelevant. After the Supremes struck down DOMA in Windsor, same sex couples can get married in states that allow it and have their marriages recognized by DHS and the Feds. Vargas can theoretically get married to a man and be put on a road to US citizenship. The main problem that he will run into was that because he entered the country via fraud or without being properly inspected, he will be unable to adjust his status within the United States and will have to return to the Philippines in order to apply for the appropriate fiancé visa and/or green card. Unfortunately for him, since he was undocumented in the USA for so long, he will be subject to a 10 year ban, and even if he finds a US citizen to marry him, he will have to wait a full 10 years before he can properly file his marriage application. He will be 43 at that time.

Wrong. The "special document" that he was given to travel via car, plane, or train was merely a notice to appear in immigration court. Yes, he is free to travel prior to his court date, but that is because he is essentially out on bail subject to the jurisdiction of the immigration court.

I do not see any conceivable legal basis which would give Vargas the right to stay in the USA. I do not see any hardship exemptions (minor children, ailing dependents) that will subject him to a waiver. The immigration judge will issue an order of deportation that will need to be complied with. As an illegal alien, it is easy to hide in the shadows, but once you have an order of deportation lodged against you, your file gets handed over to ICE and they arrange travel for you. Fail to comply with their mandates, and your file gets turned over to the ICE fugitive unit where they hunt you down, kick in your front door, and carry you off to the airport in your pajamas.

Frankly, Vargas knows all this and I don't believe for a second that he didn't know that McAllen was loaded with border patrol agents and checkpoints. For whatever reason, he made a personal and conscious decision to return to the Philippines, while at the same time wanting to gain the greatest possible publicity for his cause. Expect more ongoing live twitter and Huffington Post reports from the immigration court, ICE office, and airport as the process drags out.
Did you watch the interview I posted? Immigration doesn't recognize same sex marriages.

Old 07-16-2014, 08:37 PM

2,721 posts, read 2,145,129 times
Not only is he illegal, he is an illegal gay alien . And with the way the country is going, should make him a fabulous choice for president in about six years time.

Ps, are aliens born gay?

Old 07-16-2014, 08:47 PM

20,611 posts, read 12,282,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymags View Post
Not only is he illegal, he is an illegal gay alien . And with the way the country is going, should make him a fabulous choice for president in about six years time.

Ps, are aliens born gay?
Uh; I laughed but, all joking aside, not all Gay people like illegal aliens.

Old 07-16-2014, 10:38 PM

2,721 posts, read 2,145,129 times
I heard its because most illegals dress like *****.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post

Old 07-16-2014, 11:24 PM

11,435 posts, read 15,943,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
I'm gay, Mexican-American and I don't like illegals. Should I run for President?

Old 07-16-2014, 11:49 PM

11,485 posts, read 5,507,878 times
So, ny789987---You watch Glen Beck?

Old 07-16-2014, 11:54 PM

17,022 posts, read 9,066,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Retired View Post
It was a staged event. He had cameras taking video as he was being led away.
Reality is, he is still in the country illegally and should be deported.

Yes illegal, not "undocumented.

Old 07-17-2014, 03:03 AM

442 posts, read 662,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Did you watch the interview I posted? Immigration doesn't recognize same sex marriages.
Yes, it does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or