U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 11:43 AM

1,252 posts, read 725,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
So you have a source for that? And that the military isn't verifying social security numbers?
I'm not sure illegals is the right term, but White House and Department of Defense reports show that in world war one and two, 143,000 noncitizen military had naturalization bestowed upon them, and 31,000 were granted citizenship status during the Korean War.

I haven't yet found any specific numbers for Vietnam, and the first Gulf war, but somewhere near 100,000 men and women were granted citizenship in conjunction with their service at that time.

Today's numbers are equally as impressive.

As of May 2006, over fifty percent of the 68,711 foreign-born military personnel then in the services were naturalized citizens, and 48.6 percent were noncitizens.

So those numbers get you to a bit over 30,000 non-citizens serving as of May 06, with the troop buildups since that time, 40,000 today doesn't seem to be something that may be all that hard to able to be confirmed.

I couldn't tell you how many may have already fought and already been granted citizenship who may still be fighting. Citizenship can be applied for after only one year of service, so there may be many more in the service today who started off as non-citizens, but today are listed as citizens.

I'm guessing the final numbers will exceed 40,000 by quite a bit.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/relea...020703-24.html

http://www.defenselink.mil/news/Jul2002/n07302002_200207303.html (broken link)

http://www.abanet.org/legalservices/dialogue/04fall/dial_04falllamp.html#article3 (broken link)

http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/relea.../20020704.html

http://www.uscis.gov/files/nativedoc...day_Mar_06.pdf

http://www.uscis.gov/files/nativedoc..._August_06.pdf

http://www.uscis.gov/files/nativedoc...December06.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2007, 11:48 AM

4,834 posts, read 5,440,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by questioner2 View Post
One of the reasons John McCain supports amnesty for undocumented immigrants is he thinks Hispanics are wonderful people. He recently stood at the Vietnam Wall and said I support earned legalization for the undocumented because some of the best fighters in the Vietnam War were Hispanic. Do you see the logic in John McCain's statement?
Well, I don't see the logic here, and since the most important issues to me are National Security and Stopping Illegal Immigration, I guess Senator McCain can't count on my vote for his Presidential run!

Old 12-23-2007, 12:02 PM

4,828 posts, read 6,789,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatbasinguide View Post
How can you be an illegal American citizen?

And please keep in mind that today in December 2007 there are over 40,000 illegals serving in the US military.
This is a blatant lie. Illegal immigrants are NOT allowed to serve in the military. I find it disturbing how people make bold statements like that and never provide anything to back it up.

There are currently about 35,000 non citizens serving in the US military and about 8,000 join each year to take advantage of an accelerated path to citizenship, according to Pentagon statistics. The government wants to further accelerate the process; about 4,000 immigrants serving in uniform became citizens in 2005, compared with 750 in 2001.
Under current law, only citizens and non citizens who are legal residents and hold green cards qualify to serve in the armed forces

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/ar...h_to_us_dream/

Old 12-23-2007, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
Under current law, only citizens and non citizens who are legal residents and hold green cards qualify to serve in the armed forces
Your article is basically correct, but it's not quite complete.

To be eligible to enlist, a non-citizen must have entered the United States on a permanent residence visa, or have an Alien Registration Receipt Card, or a stamped I-94, plus have an established residence, and what's called 'a home of record' in the United States.

The visa and/or greencard must have sufficient time remaining on it so as to still be valid during the entire term of the expected enlistment, but with the accelerated citizenship program, they can apply for citizenship after only one day of service, so that's usually not a problem.

Old 12-23-2007, 06:14 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,690,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
This is a blatant lie. Illegal immigrants are NOT allowed to serve in the military. I find it disturbing how people make bold statements like that and never provide anything to back it up.

There are currently about 35,000 non citizens serving in the US military and about 8,000 join each year to take advantage of an accelerated path to citizenship, according to Pentagon statistics. The government wants to further accelerate the process; about 4,000 immigrants serving in uniform became citizens in 2005, compared with 750 in 2001.

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/ar...h_to_us_dream/
Military service is one of a number of paths to legal residency and citizenship. Most people don't have any problem with awarding those who would serve this country quicker citizenship. I don't think many would begrudge heros who would pay the ultimate price their citizenship -- but at the same time we have to be cautious about making military service a type of mercantile army.

It's not fair to call legal foreigners serving in the military illegals -- not for any political agenda. It's also a fact that all men over 18 whether here legally or otherwise are supposed to register with the draft and that very few illegals actually do so.

Old 12-23-2007, 11:21 PM

8,240 posts, read 14,894,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatbasinguide View Post
How can you be an illegal American citizen?

And please keep in mind that today in December 2007 there are over 40,000 illegals serving in the US military.
Hmmm...I guess they're doing another one of those jobs that Americans don't want to do??

Old 12-24-2007, 07:00 AM

902 posts, read 505,293 times
Of course there are illegals in the miltary and anyone saying that there is not is very uninformed or just plain stupid. Illegals are everywhere in this country. They infiltrate and are dangerous because they can't be trusted at al

A Stunning Disclosure on Illegals in the Military

Old 12-24-2007, 08:58 AM

25,084 posts, read 13,910,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by questioner2 View Post
One of the reasons John McCain supports amnesty for undocumented immigrants is he thinks Hispanics are wonderful people. He recently stood at the Vietnam Wall and said I support earned legalization for the undocumented because some of the best fighters in the Vietnam War were Hispanic. Do you see the logic in John McCain's statement?
I totally see the logic in what he said...he wants to win votes. I like McCain, but not his solution to illegal immigration. I think he is right Hispanics are wonderful people, but so are Africans, Asians, Austrailians, Egytians, Europeans, Indians, Iranians ect... being "wonderful" does not mean u r above the law.

Old 12-24-2007, 10:50 AM

Seems Uncle Sam isn't so strict as some would hope...

Section 329 of the Immigration and Nationality Act;

"[a]n alien or a noncitizen national of the United States" who "has served honorably" in the armed forces during a "period which the President by Executive order shall designate as a period in which Armed Forces of the United States are or were engaged in military operations involving armed conflict . . . may be naturalized . . . whether or not he has been lawfully admitted to the United States for permanent residence..."

Seems these illegal alien criminals are willingly volunteering to put their lives at risk on the front lines of Bush's war, seems the second person killed in Iraq was an illegal alien serving US interests. Seems many more are being awarded medals and doing a job Bush and many of his administration wouldn't do.

Old 12-24-2007, 02:16 PM

609 posts, read 1,873,394 times
I used to support McCain. But now he can get on the bus and go with them.

He is insulated from the strain on schools and health care. If he lived in the real world where most of us live he would get it.

I know illegals that make $90,000 a year, pay no taxes and have never filed taxes and have kids in school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration