U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 07-18-2014, 05:01 PM
 
3,032 posts, read 2,861,792 times
Reputation: 3362

Advertisements

I have often heard "Fences dont' work"! What? Why not? Don't people put fences around pools, school yards, houses, gardens etc. etc.

Fence | Define Fence at Dictionary.com

"a barrier enclosing or bordering a field, yard, etc., usually made of posts and wire or wood, used to prevent entrance, to confine, or to mark a boundary."

Krauthammer: "If Fences Don't Work, Why Is There One Around The White House?" | Video | RealClearPolitics

And this! Yeah, Mr. President... how come you get a fence?

It's just the most logical first step!

People get so distracted with schemes... sure you have to do something about employers, handing out welfare, etc. etc. etc. BUT you put up a fence FIRST!!!! Stop the main break!!

Common sense ISN'T!

 
Old 07-18-2014, 05:07 PM
 
9,276 posts, read 5,784,185 times
Reputation: 7546
Fences work. Now I think what some people are bringing up is that the entire Rio Grande can't be fenced. That's why people want drones and more border guards too. Didn't we already okay the fence and where it was going? What's the hold up, is it the funding? I can't remember.
 
Old 07-18-2014, 05:10 PM
 
Location: In a chartreuse microbus
3,844 posts, read 5,104,740 times
Reputation: 7965
They give the same argument about abstinence. It works 100% every single time. But it's not realistic. The fence is not realistic. They say.

They don't want the problem fixed. The one with the phone and a pen could have done something years ago, but just won't. And we can't make him.
 
Old 07-18-2014, 05:13 PM
 
Location: Pa
20,310 posts, read 18,881,481 times
Reputation: 6517
Fences help. Take away the bait and you take away the desire to get around, over or under the fence. Hammer the employers, landlords and the illegals and they won't want to come here.
 
Old 07-18-2014, 05:20 PM
 
Location: Sinkholeville
1,489 posts, read 1,349,836 times
Reputation: 2291
We can fence the entire border.

We just need to guard it and patrol it, and enforce the crime of illegally crossing it.

The Chinese built a wall more than twice as long as our border with Mexico, and they did it more than two thousand years before we put a man on a moon.
 
Old 07-18-2014, 05:26 PM
 
31,486 posts, read 14,565,596 times
Reputation: 8353
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
Fences work. Now I think what some people are bringing up is that the entire Rio Grande can't be fenced. That's why people want drones and more border guards too. Didn't we already okay the fence and where it was going? What's the hold up, is it the funding? I can't remember.
The double layered wall which was supposed to be erected along 700-800 miles of our most porous southern border was approved by congress but never funded. I suspect it had less to do with the costs involved than the usual suspects objecting to it.
 
Old 07-18-2014, 05:37 PM
 
24,885 posts, read 11,605,138 times
Reputation: 11620
A fence is a stupid idea. Seriously.

Landmines with sufficient density to guarantee people couldn't cross would be a GOOD idea. But a fence is idiotic. People will go under, and over the fence. And the cost to build something actually sufficient in height and depth would be prohibitive.

As for comparing it to the great wall of China, thats foolish, the purpose of that wall was to stop siege equipment, horse, armies and their supplies, etc. It did little to stop people.

If our border was smaller we could manage it. But its just too large.
 
Old 07-18-2014, 06:11 PM
 
31,486 posts, read 14,565,596 times
Reputation: 8353
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
A fence is a stupid idea. Seriously.

Landmines with sufficient density to guarantee people couldn't cross would be a GOOD idea. But a fence is idiotic. People will go under, and over the fence. And the cost to build something actually sufficient in height and depth would be prohibitive.

As for comparing it to the great wall of China, thats foolish, the purpose of that wall was to stop siege equipment, horse, armies and their supplies, etc. It did little to stop people.

If our border was smaller we could manage it. But its just too large.
No, it isn't stupid. It was to be a double wall on 700-800 miles of the most porous parts of our southern border. It proved to be very effective on a sector of our San Diego border where it was built. Tunnel sensors depict if one is trying to get under it and the double wall was to have a road in between for the Border Patrol to drive thru. The rest of the border would then be manageable. A good physical barrier is a huge deterrent. Would it stop illegal immigration totally? No, of course not but the goal is to stop a major portion of it.
 
Old 07-18-2014, 06:12 PM
 
Location: Sinkholeville
1,489 posts, read 1,349,836 times
Reputation: 2291
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
.... stupid idea. Seriously.
..... idiotic.

....., thats foolish, ......
OK, back to real adults who don't need childish insults to discuss ideas.

The fence would be a lot cheaper than putting a man on the moon, in today's dollars.

It would be a lot cheaper than absorbing an endless stream of illegal aliens (democrats).

Obama just asked for 4 billion dollars for the 65,000 so-called children he just imported; we could send them all back first class to reunite them with their families Elian Gonzales style for less than 2% of that, and put the other 98% into building the fence.

But Obama doesn't want a fence. He wants endless billions of dollars and endless millions of illegal aliens.
 
Old 07-18-2014, 06:26 PM
 
24,885 posts, read 11,605,138 times
Reputation: 11620
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuteTheMall View Post
OK, back to real adults who don't need childish insults to discuss ideas.

The fence would be a lot cheaper than putting a man on the moon, in today's dollars.

It would be a lot cheaper than absorbing an endless stream of illegal aliens (democrats).

Obama just asked for 4 billion dollars for the 65,000 so-called children he just imported; we could send them all back first class to reunite them with their families Elian Gonzales style for less than 2% of that, and put the other 98% into building the fence.

But Obama doesn't want a fence. He wants endless billions of dollars and endless millions of illegal aliens.
Look i am against illegal immigration. Lets get that straight. But I dont see a fence built at huge cost, with dubious effectiveness at best to be worthwhile.

You give the example of 4 billion, when for 2% of that we could ship them out, I feel the similar way about the cost/benefit of a fence.

I don't object to the goal, I object to the cost vs effectiveness of the fence. Make sense?

PS-the idea is foolish and idiotic, not the people suggesting it here. At first glance it seems reasonable until you really think it through.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top