U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2014, 08:33 AM

836 posts, read 1,126,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
How does enforcing our laws take away from who we are as Americans? We are a nation of laws and our immigration laws are quite reasonable.

What? "I'm here and got mine and you're screwed and left behind"? We are here because we are citizens of this country and have rights extended because of that. It works that way in every country. Illegal aliens should not and do not have the same rights as American citizens. Their rights are in their own countries.
It does work like that in most countries.

Except America was never formed like most countries and American never had the same immigration policies as other countries, except for a few black times in our history.

All I'm saying is that yes, I feel bad for them. But it doesn't change their situation. And I feel like I'd be less of an American who loves my country and what it stands for, if I didn't feel the slightest bit of empathy for people who want to me here and enjoy it with me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2014, 08:43 AM

20,310 posts, read 18,878,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrskay662000 View Post
Well Tinman, you have a bonus point I do not. That is to say, I was born here, everyone I love was born here and so were my ancestors. I have never petitioned for a family member and neither has anyone in my family.

But as great as it is to hold that trump card for your daughter (Who is, I presume over 21 and married and exactly the visa preference they're looking at eliminating, so lucky you!), as my Filipino friend used to say to people who had to wait their turn..

Did you wait 26 years??? Huh??? Did you???

Cracks me up when he says that. And also, makes me a bit sad because he's a good citizen.
My daughter is 28 and unmarried. I was born here, my wife immigrated (legally) and is now a citizen. She has 2 college degrees, speaks 3 languages including english and has committed no crimes. her reward is to wait 7 to 10 years.
Illegals on the other hand. Many if not most have no college degree, don't speak our language and have committed a number of crimes.
This isn't about I am here and have mine. This is about right and wrong. You don't reward criminals for their crimes. You don't give criminals a free pass, head of line pass or and other special consideration over those who have done everything we demand an applicant to do.

Old 07-20-2014, 08:43 AM

31,471 posts, read 14,559,147 times
Quote:
It does work like that in most countries.

Except America was never formed like most countries and American never had the same immigration policies as other countries, except for a few black times in our history.

All I'm saying is that yes, I feel bad for them. But it doesn't change their situation. And I feel like I'd be less of an American who loves my country and what it stands for, if I didn't feel the slightest bit of empathy for people who want to me here and enjoy it with me.
Well these people certainly don't have any empathy for American citizens by coming here illegally and the negative impact they have on us and the number of laws they break to remain here.

We allow in the number of legal immigrants that we can accommodate in jobs and resources. It's always been that way and rightly so.

Old 07-20-2014, 08:47 AM

9,833 posts, read 5,588,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Don't feel bad I am stuck with Bob Casey for a senator.
Oh man!!!! My deepest sympathies...

Old 07-20-2014, 08:54 AM

5,200 posts, read 4,106,671 times
Quote:
Not at all. No more than saying it is unfair to make burglar who robbed your house give it all back.
Is it wrong to make the bank robber return the money he stole?
The world is composed of nations. Every nation has a right to determine their own immigration policies. Who they deem acceptable and who is not. There is no fair or unfair. I would guess that the USA is possibly the only country or at least one of the few that doesn't enforce our laws. We allow more legal immigration than all other nations combined. I would say that we are pretty giving.
The majority of illegals have never even attempted to enter legally. They spend more on a Coyote to smuggle them then the fees would be to apply to enter legally. The selfish party in this story is the criminal, it always is.
What should America sacrifice to feel like we are nice people? How many fellow Americans should be sacrificed so that illegals can be granted their wish? Do we not produce enough criminals of our own? Do we really need to import more? Keep in mind the criminal mentality and it is a constant. I don't care what the law is, I don't care what laws I break as long as I get what I want.... Illegals like all criminals seek to justify their actions, like many they play the pity card.
I am here and have mine. I worked for everything I have and did it legally.. That is the difference. I am here and have mine, I also welcome legal immigrants. My own wife is a legal immigrant. Our daughter is on a 7 to 10 year wait for her immigration VISA.
The real selfish people who have the attitude "I am here and demand mine." That would be the illegals.
This person ^ played by the rules, I respect that, and welcome him with open arms. His kind of honor,
honesty, and perseverence is what will make our country stronger and better. He assimilated, obeyed
the law, and is a credit to his new country.

I support legal immigration, doing things the right way, and improving the USA. Letting illegals stay and
inviting more law breakers, is not helping America. We can't take care of our veterans, & have
rampant unemployment now. Why do we want uneducated-ignorant-criminals who can't speak, read or
write our language, & break the law the minute they cross our border. They are criminaliens, the first
thing they do, is break the law.

Old 07-20-2014, 08:58 AM

Quote:
My daughter is 28 and unmarried. I was born here, my wife immigrated (legally) and is now a citizen. She has 2 college degrees, speaks 3 languages including english and has committed no crimes. her reward is to wait 7 to 10 years.
Illegals on the other hand. Many if not most have no college degree, don't speak our language and have committed a number of crimes.
This isn't about I am here and have mine. This is about right and wrong. You don't reward criminals for their crimes. You don't give criminals a free pass, head of line pass or and other special consideration over those who have done everything we demand an applicant to do.
I agree that you have a valid claim to feel the way you do. You've done everything asked of you and then some.

But on the other hand, why should a 28 year old grown woman be able to ride the coat tails of Mommy and Daddy to a green card? Surely, at 28, she has at least a Masters degree in a science or math category that would allow her to get an employment based green card much sooner, right? Because that is part of the immigration reform package. No more riders for people who are adults and can fend for themselves. Parents, adult sons and daughters, brothers and sisters.

Your daughter, if deemed an immigrant we'd "like to invite", at 28 with a useful master's degree would be an E2. Unless she's Chinese or Indian, a visa number is immediately available to her. But even if she is Chinese or Indian, it sounds like the E2 visa would still be faster than the family route.

Yes, you're following the laws and mad props to you for it.

But on the other hand, you have a family member on a waiting list which happens to be one of the waiting lists they're eying up as unnecessary and considering eliminating. But you don't have to worry about that because you've gotten her a place in line. But what about the others who don't have the money to get a place in line for their loved ones who, maybe like your daughter, don't have a desired degree?

These are things I've given thought to, and why I'm not so quick to enact the 5 steps I previously listed without additional consideration into the ramifications of their long term impact.

Old 07-20-2014, 09:13 AM

Quote:
I agree that you have a valid claim to feel the way you do. You've done everything asked of you and then some.

But on the other hand, why should a 28 year old grown woman be able to ride the coat tails of Mommy and Daddy to a green card? Surely, at 28, she has at least a Masters degree in a science or math category that would allow her to get an employment based green card much sooner, right? Because that is part of the immigration reform package. No more riders for people who are adults and can fend for themselves. Parents, adult sons and daughters, brothers and sisters.

Your daughter, if deemed an immigrant we'd "like to invite", at 28 with a useful master's degree would be an E2. Unless she's Chinese or Indian, a visa number is immediately available to her. But even if she is Chinese or Indian, it sounds like the E2 visa would still be faster than the family route.

Yes, you're following the laws and mad props to you for it.

But on the other hand, you have a family member on a waiting list which happens to be one of the waiting lists they're eying up as unnecessary and considering eliminating. But you don't have to worry about that because you've gotten her a place in line. But what about the others who don't have the money to get a place in line for their loved ones who, maybe like your daughter, don't have a desired degree?

These are things I've given thought to, and why I'm not so quick to enact the 5 steps I previously listed without additional consideration into the ramifications of their long term impact.
As I said before Our laws are ours to make. They need not be fair or compassionate towards foreigners. I don't feel the system is efficient. That said these illegals the majority of whom never even made the attempt to enter legally. They will spend more money on a Coyote and cheat but not less money on an application. This speaks volumes about their character.
The others. Do we owe them a place in line? We owe my daughter because the law says so. The truth is, chances are I will move to Thailand before her VISA ever comes up for review. Natty doesn't need me or her mom she has a life, it would have been nice if she could have a life here with us.
The rub, or the insult is the idea that anyone would feel that any illegal deserves a head of line pass over people who actually obeyed our laws.
Every illegal and I do mean 100% of them have demonstrated why they don't deserve to be allowed in this country.

Old 07-20-2014, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
Oh man!!!! My deepest sympathies...
Yeah casey is a real winner. I wouldn't be shocked if pictures surfaced of him licking Obama's shoes.

Old 07-20-2014, 09:16 AM

31,471 posts, read 14,559,147 times
Quote:
yeah casey is a real winner. I wouldn't be shocked if pictures surfaced of him licking obama's shoes.
:d

Old 07-20-2014, 09:23 AM

Quote:
It would have been nice if she could have a life here with us.
Yes it would and I hope it happens soon. Which it should. Not much longer now, so long as she remains unmarried.

But I agree with you about line jumpers. Which is why I do not support amnesty, an extension of INA 245(i), or any current version of INA 245B.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration