U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2014, 09:30 AM

20,310 posts, read 18,887,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrskay662000 View Post
Yes it would and I hope it happens soon. Which it should. Not much longer now, so long as she remains unmarried.

But I agree with you about line jumpers. Which is why I do not support amnesty, an extension of INA 245(i), or any current version of INA 245B.
It won't but thanks for the kind thoughts. She has a good 5 years to go and I retire in 4. I love Thailand. Now talk about immigration laws that make sense. review theirs. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2014, 10:07 AM

31,514 posts, read 14,580,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
It won't but thanks for the kind thoughts. She has a good 5 years to go and I retire in 4. I love Thailand. Now talk about immigration laws that make sense. review theirs. LOL
The way things are going in this country moving to Thailand sounds like good idea to me. You love that country and your family would be reunited. Goes to show you that love can flourish in other countries. Some seem to think this is the only place that it can. If I were younger I would move to Canada. I love it up there.

Old 07-20-2014, 10:31 AM

62,443 posts, read 27,779,745 times
Quote:
The solution isn't impossible or even difficult, only distasteful to politicians. Pass mandatory E-Verify and put real teeth into the law. Remove the bait and 90% of the problem is solved.
Build tent jails.
No need. We have thousands of FEMA trailers that were never used after Hurricane Katrina. House the illegals in their very own trailer park and watch what happens...
Quote:
Pass laws that allow us to seize the assets of the illegals when they are caught. You will see them self deporting in a hurry.
They have no assets. That's why they're coming here... for the freebies. Once they're considered refugees, they have access to all public assistance benefits.

Overview of Immigrants' Eligibility for SNAP, TANF, Medicaid, and CHIP: ASPE Issue Brief

Old 07-20-2014, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
The way things are going in this country moving to Thailand sounds like good idea to me. You love that country and your family would be reunited. Goes to show you that love can flourish in other countries. Some seem to think this is the only place that it can. If I were younger I would move to Canada. I love it up there.
Thailand's immigration laws reflect the best interests of Thailand. Want to move there? You better have the finances. You need to show an income of at least 2400 a month and have 40G in a Thai bank for 3 months before applying in your nation of origin. Each year you renew your VISA you have to reverify your earnings status and show that you maintained that 40 G. VISA over stay. It aint pretty. LOL Your fines are compounded by the day. Don't have the cash you go to the Bangkok Hilton until you raise the money or Thailand throws you out. You over stay you don't just get to leave 3 weeks later, you have to pay up first. They still have a few idiots who tempt fate, but not like us.

Old 07-20-2014, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
No need. We have thousands of FEMA trailers that were never used after Hurricane Katrina. House the illegals in their very own trailer park and watch what happens...
They have no assets. That's why they're coming here... for the freebies. Once they're considered refugees, they have access to all public assistance benefits.

Overview of Immigrants' Eligibility for SNAP, TANF, Medicaid, and CHIP: ASPE Issue Brief
What they report having and what they have are 2 different things. They may not have anything when they come here, but they accumulate it once they are here.
Those trailers are better than what they left behind. Tents, no privacy, no AC, no private bathrooms. Live dorm style.

Old 07-20-2014, 11:04 AM

673 posts, read 552,452 times
Default Sad story, but we can't help each and every person like that...

Quote:
Not at all. No more than saying it is unfair to make burglar who robbed your house give it all back.
Is it wrong to make the bank robber return the money he stole?
The world is composed of nations. Every nation has a right to determine their own immigration policies. Who they deem acceptable and who is not. There is no fair or unfair. I would guess that the USA is possibly the only country or at least one of the few that doesn't enforce our laws. We allow more legal immigration than all other nations combined. I would say that we are pretty giving.
The majority of illegals have never even attempted to enter legally. They spend more on a Coyote to smuggle them then the fees would be to apply to enter legally. The selfish party in this story is the criminal, it always is.
What should America sacrifice to feel like we are nice people? How many fellow Americans should be sacrificed so that illegals can be granted their wish? Do we not produce enough criminals of our own? Do we really need to import more? Keep in mind the criminal mentality and it is a constant. I don't care what the law is, I don't care what laws I break as long as I get what I want.... Illegals like all criminals seek to justify their actions, like many they play the pity card.
I am here and have mine. I worked for everything I have and did it legally.. That is the difference. I am here and have mine, I also welcome legal immigrants. My own wife is a legal immigrant. Our daughter is on a 7 to 10 year wait for her immigration VISA.
The real selfish people who have the attitude "I am here and demand mine." That would be the illegals.
Quote:
My daughter is 28 and unmarried. I was born here, my wife immigrated (legally) and is now a citizen. She has 2 college degrees, speaks 3 languages including english and has committed no crimes. her reward is to wait 7 to 10 years.
Illegals on the other hand. Many if not most have no college degree, don't speak our language and have committed a number of crimes.
This isn't about I am here and have mine. This is about right and wrong. You don't reward criminals for their crimes. You don't give criminals a free pass, head of line pass or and other special consideration over those who have done everything we demand an applicant to do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Well these people certainly don't have any empathy for American citizens by coming here illegally and the negative impact they have on us and the number of laws they break to remain here.

We allow in the number of legal immigrants that we can accommodate in jobs and resources. It's always been that way and rightly so.
Great posts - and tinman01 brings along a personal dimension as well as a logical rationale to having LEGAL immigration!!!! Very well said, tinman01!!!!

Oldglory, well-said!

Of COURSE this lady's plight is a very sad one...but, she chose that course, we did not. She must face the consequences.

We ALL have our personal battles, strife, and terrible life situations. Some we choose, some are thrust upon us through no fault of our own. We're not God, and can't fill that role of taking care of everyone...

I certainly have my own terrible problems, mostly health and handicaps, as well as had extreme poverty, thrust upon me...yet I can't and I haven't asked others to shoulder them, pay for them, etc. I did what I could to lift myself out of my poverty..despite my handicaps...without hand-outs. I did it on my own...

Yes, Life is unfair and can be tragic!!! Terribly unfair. I lost my father as a child, and my mother, 2 days ago. Adds insult to life-long injuries and unfair experiences.

My own experiences, for the most part, have been overtly and uniquely very difficult, painful, filled with surgeries, braces, taunting, and because of immobility, I've been house-bound and unable to do even the simplest, pleasurable things normal-bodied people take for granted. I've had cancers which have threatened, and still threaten my life.

If I could, I'd ask for a handout from some rich dude to take me under his wing...give me the life, mobility, and fun I've lacked during most of my life. If only for one little weekend!!! I'd be SO grateful!!! But that doesn't exist for me. There's no "border" I can cross, no "agency" to provide for me.
I still am experiencing overt struggles. No one has helped me... paid for me...."made it better"..."saved" me...

Yet, according to the pro-illegals, I'm supposed to take each and every one of these people in??? Hey, what about ME!!!!!

Yes, of course I have compassion and empathy for them...I cried when I read this article about Genesis and her family. But, there are hundreds of thousands of people with equally compelling (or more) stories... Equally as sad and unfair...

We can't, unfortunately, take everyone in with such a story...or weight upon their shoulders. The best we can do is to advise other countries how to care for their own people.

We are the "United States of America"... NOT "of the WORLD" !!!
---Dandiday

Old 07-20-2014, 12:32 PM

673 posts, read 552,452 times
BTW - the "what about ME" was rhetorical...also symbolic.

Symbolic in the sense that there are many, many stories like this poor woman and others being sent back to their country of origin, or owing monies to the coyotes and local gangs who transported them.

Also, it's symbolic in the sense that it represents other hundreds of thousands of downtrodden, oppressed, threatened, etc. across the world...

We cannot help them all.

-Dandiday

Old 07-20-2014, 12:33 PM

11,501 posts, read 5,515,070 times
Quote:
Yeah casey is a real winner. I wouldn't be shocked if pictures surfaced of him licking Obama's shoes.
My sympathies, tinman01. I've got Warner and Kaine who are both Obama sycophants and toadies. Sadly, I voted for Warner because when he was governor, he got some legislation passed to deal with illegals. Then he became a senator and all of a sudden he is pushing this nightmare of a so-called immigration reform bill. When I've written to him, he sends the same letter back telling me how important it is to get this bill passed I feel really duped for giving him my vote---it won't happen again!

Old 07-20-2014, 12:40 PM

11,501 posts, read 5,515,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrskay662000 View Post
It does work like that in most countries.

Except America was never formed like most countries and American never had the same immigration policies as other countries, except for a few black times in our history.

All I'm saying is that yes, I feel bad for them. But it doesn't change their situation. And I feel like I'd be less of an American who loves my country and what it stands for, if I didn't feel the slightest bit of empathy for people who want to me here and enjoy it with me.

To address your first paragraph --- Yes, at one time American open its doors wide and welcomed a lot of LEGAL immigrants. Those people who landed in Ellis Island weren't automatically given a free pass to enter. They had to go through physical and mental health exams, which many failed. When they failed the exam, they were put right back on the boat that brought them here.

Back then, we also had lots of room to expand. Plus, we were largely an agrarian and industrial society. Many people---both immigrants and Americans---were illiterate but were able to easily find work in the factories, farms and coal mines.

Fast forward to today --- We have over 300 million people and are running out of potable water. Our infrastructure is crumbling and since our nation is deep in debt, the money just isn't there to properly repair it, never mind add even more.

Illiterate people end up becoming a drain on society because they have to rely on various welfare programs to survive. In the past, when we had that huge wave of LEGAL immigration, there was no welfare. People knew that it was up to them alone to make it. Many didn't make it and went back to their own countries.

Old 07-20-2014, 01:03 PM

20,611 posts, read 12,290,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
To address your first paragraph --- Yes, at one time American open its doors wide and welcomed a lot of LEGAL immigrants. Those people who landed in Ellis Island weren't automatically given a free pass to enter. They had to go through physical and mental health exams, which many failed. When they failed the exam, they were put right back on the boat that brought them here.

Back then, we also had lots of room to expand. Plus, we were largely an agrarian and industrial society. Many people---both immigrants and Americans---were illiterate but were able to easily find work in the factories, farms and coal mines.

Fast forward to today --- We have over 300 million people and are running out of potable water. Our infrastructure is crumbling and since our nation is deep in debt, the money just isn't there to properly repair it, never mind add even more.

Illiterate people end up becoming a drain on society because they have to rely on various welfare programs to survive. In the past, when we had that huge wave of LEGAL immigration, there was no welfare. People knew that it was up to them alone to make it. Many didn't make it and went back to their own countries.
Agreed and how!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration