Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2014, 07:43 PM

157 posts, read 136,753 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
One more article on this and this one is truly emotional:

http://www.newsweek.com/after-us-dep...in-fate-259912
It is sad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2014, 08:35 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,152,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majesticat View Post
It is sad.
The world is filled with sad, including here at home. I think that it's sad that a family once paying taxes and doing well is now poor because the father was low balled out of work by illegals.
I think it's sad that we have no money for our own homeless but democrats want 3.8 billion to provide for illegals.
It is a sad story. A story of criminals betting on a reward for their crimes only to find out that they bet on the wrong horse.

Old 07-19-2014, 08:40 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,909,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb73 View Post
Texas Democratic Congressman Beto O'Rourke
Yeah, the idiot is my rep. I voted against him but I may as well not voted at all..

Old 07-20-2014, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
Yeah, the idiot is my rep. I voted against him but I may as well not voted at all..
Don't feel bad I am stuck with Bob Casey for a senator.

Old 07-20-2014, 07:27 AM

832 posts, read 1,412,280 times
Of course I feel sorry for them. But that doesn't help them, does it? Granting any form of relief from the problem only creates more illegal immigration problems. Each time the government has granted amnesty, the result has been more illegal entrants. I don't have a solution.

I just know that our current economy doesn't support another grant of amnesty. When the chips are up, the US is very welcoming to new comers. When the chips are down, not so much. Despite those that say another amnesty would help our economy, I don't see where in our history we've done such a thing in a recession with the result that it helped.

The bottom line is that with each passing day, more and more citizens are getting upset at the administration over the issue. It's not just about immigration. It's about the government not listening to its people and instead listening to campaign contributors and people who stand to gain by enacting something the average citizen rejects.

People need to vote.

Old 07-20-2014, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrskay662000 View Post
Of course I feel sorry for them. But that doesn't help them, does it? Granting any form of relief from the problem only creates more illegal immigration problems. Each time the government has granted amnesty, the result has been more illegal entrants. I don't have a solution.

I just know that our current economy doesn't support another grant of amnesty. When the chips are up, the US is very welcoming to new comers. When the chips are down, not so much. Despite those that say another amnesty would help our economy, I don't see where in our history we've done such a thing in a recession with the result that it helped.

The bottom line is that with each passing day, more and more citizens are getting upset at the administration over the issue. It's not just about immigration. It's about the government not listening to its people and instead listening to campaign contributors and people who stand to gain by enacting something the average citizen rejects.

People need to vote.
The solution isn't impossible or even difficult, only distasteful to politicians. Pass mandatory E-Verify and put real teeth into the law. Remove the bait and 90% of the problem is solved.
Build tent jails. We have numerous working models. Sheriff Joe's tent prison for example. Out troops live in tents while at war. Good enough for them is good enough for criminals.
Pass laws that allow us to seize the assets of the illegals when they are caught. You will see them self deporting in a hurry.

Old 07-20-2014, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
The solution isn't impossible or even difficult, only distasteful to politicians. Pass mandatory E-Verify and put real teeth into the law. Remove the bait and 90% of the problem is solved.
Build tent jails. We have numerous working models. Sheriff Joe's tent prison for example. Out troops live in tents while at war. Good enough for them is good enough for criminals.
Pass laws that allow us to seize the assets of the illegals when they are caught. You will see them self deporting in a hurry.
I see what you're saying.

1. E-Verify (no job).
2. No benefits of any kind unless they can show citizenship, not even emergency benefits for food or shelter (no tax dollars).
3. Massive fines on anyone who hires an unauthorized employee (no incentive to hire them).
4. End birthright citizenship (no incentive to have babies in the US).
5. End adjustment of status (no incentive to over stay your visa).

In a nut shell, enacting the 5 steps above would eliminate the problem for the most part. Then we could really focus on catching the criminals.

But if we choose to enact all of that, it takes away from who we are as Americans. That's an "emotional" argument, but it's still the truth. It would be legislating the idea that because I'm here and got mine, you're screwed and left behind.

Please don't misunderstand me. I do not propose amnesty. I do not even support what the Gang of 8 drafted last year. Part of me wants the 5 things above to be enacted and enforced. A huge part. But a tiny part of me says that's not right either. Granted, it's only a tiny part.

But then again, a needle in your eye is only a tiny part too.

Old 07-20-2014, 08:22 AM

Quote:

1. E-Verify (no job).
2. No benefits of any kind unless they can show citizenship, not even emergency benefits for food or shelter (no tax dollars).
3. Massive fines on anyone who hires an unauthorized employee (no incentive to hire them).

In a nut shell, enacting the 5 steps above would eliminate the problem for the most part. Then we could really focus on catching the criminals.

But if we choose to enact all of that, it takes away from who we are as Americans. That's an "emotional" argument, but it's still the truth. It would be legislating the idea that because I'm here and got mine, you're screwed and left behind.

Please don't misunderstand me. I do not propose amnesty. I do not even support what the Gang of 8 drafted last year. Part of me wants the 5 things above to be enacted and enforced. A huge part. But a tiny part of me says that's not right either. Granted, it's only a tiny part.

Not at all. No more than saying it is unfair to make burglar who robbed your house give it all back.
Is it wrong to make the bank robber return the money he stole?
The world is composed of nations. Every nation has a right to determine their own immigration policies. Who they deem acceptable and who is not. There is no fair or unfair. I would guess that the USA is possibly the only country or at least one of the few that doesn't enforce our laws. We allow more legal immigration than all other nations combined. I would say that we are pretty giving.
The majority of illegals have never even attempted to enter legally. They spend more on a Coyote to smuggle them then the fees would be to apply to enter legally. The selfish party in this story is the criminal, it always is.
What should America sacrifice to feel like we are nice people? How many fellow Americans should be sacrificed so that illegals can be granted their wish? Do we not produce enough criminals of our own? Do we really need to import more? Keep in mind the criminal mentality and it is a constant. I don't care what the law is, I don't care what laws I break as long as I get what I want.... Illegals like all criminals seek to justify their actions, like many they play the pity card.
I am here and have mine. I worked for everything I have and did it legally.. That is the difference. I am here and have mine, I also welcome legal immigrants. My own wife is a legal immigrant. Our daughter is on a 7 to 10 year wait for her immigration VISA.
The real selfish people who have the attitude "I am here and demand mine." That would be the illegals.

Old 07-20-2014, 08:27 AM

62,501 posts, read 28,731,339 times
Quote:

1. E-Verify (no job).

How does enforcing our laws take away from who we are as Americans? We are a nation of laws and our immigration laws are quite reasonable.

What? "I'm here and got mine and you're screwed and left behind"? We are here because we are citizens of this country and have rights extended because of that. It works that way in every country. Illegal aliens should not and do not have the same rights as American citizens. Their rights are in their own countries.

Old 07-20-2014, 08:31 AM

Well Tinman, you have a bonus point I do not. That is to say, I was born here, everyone I love was born here and so were my ancestors. I have never petitioned for a family member and neither has anyone in my family.

But as great as it is to hold that trump card for your daughter (Who is, I presume over 21 and married and exactly the visa preference they're looking at eliminating, so lucky you!), as my Filipino friend used to say to people who had to wait their turn..

Did you wait 26 years??? Huh??? Did you???

Cracks me up when he says that. And also, makes me a bit sad because he's a good citizen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration